Introduction

  • Seiji Reften
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
      I've been here several months, and have been way, way too shy to say hi.

      I've finally worked up the courage though.

      I am Sel.

      I liked yuri pairings for years, but the first one I saw that made me
      think that anime might offer some hope of satisfying my desire for
      lesbian couples was an ad for Revolutionary Girl Utena. I love Utena
      and Anthy.

      I now offer up some fanart.

      http://www.sheezyart.com/view/1350434/

      http://www.sheezyart.com/view/1047985/

      Thank you for your time.
    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        Wah! That Utena picture is too adorable, thank you for sharing it.

        `Offer up'? Odd term to use…

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          >From: "Seiji Reften" <seiji_reften@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Yuricon] Introduction
          >Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 03:38:58 -0000
          >
          >I've been here several months, and have been way, way too shy to say hi.

          Hi there - welcome to the list. We're glad that you worked up the courage to
          say hi!

          Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!�
          http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
        • Hotaru Takeuchi

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              >From: Hotaru Takeuchi <getmiso@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Introduction
              >Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:48:58 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Know what, I should introduce myself too, haven't done it yet. Call me Jas,
              >I'm a yuri lover...

              Welcome to you too, Jas!

              http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtextlinkjuly07
            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 25, 2008
                Hello everyone!

                I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Kimberly
                and I'm quite new to the subsect of Yuri Anime. My gf about 6 months
                ago introduced me to it and I have become enthralled.

                Most importantly though, I am currently working on a graduate paper
                for my Women Studies course on Gender and Language on Yuri Anime.
                Specifically, how it is or is not feminist centered by the way they
                are drawn, portrayed, if the plot or theme contains an element to
                transcend internal and/or external repression, and ultimately, if the
                characters still retain voice. I am also contemplating about turning
                this project into an extended one for my Thesis.

                I'm hoping to get everybody's thoughts and feelings on it. As of
                right now I have seen Maria Sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry Panic, Simoun,
                and Yami to Boshi. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions for
                resources, or other Anime that would be crucial to look at, please do
                not hesitate in reponding back.

                Currently, I am a graduate student at East Carolina University in the
                Multicultural Literature department. My B.A. is in Cultural
                Anthropology and my minor is in Pyschology.
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 25, 2008
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: drumweezer@...
                  > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:49:04 +0000
                  > Subject: [Yuricon] Introduction
                  >
                  > Hello everyone!
                  >
                  > I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Kimberly
                  > and I'm quite new to the subsect of Yuri Anime. My gf about 6 months
                  > ago introduced me to it and I have become enthralled.

                  Welcome to the Yuricon Mailing List!

                  Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.
                  http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3
                • Mitchell Gilks
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 25, 2008
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly" <drumweezer@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone!
                    >
                    > I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Kimberly
                    > and I'm quite new to the subsect of Yuri Anime. My gf about 6
                    months
                    > ago introduced me to it and I have become enthralled.
                    >
                    > Most importantly though, I am currently working on a graduate paper
                    > for my Women Studies course on Gender and Language on Yuri Anime.
                    > Specifically, how it is or is not feminist centered by the way they
                    > are drawn, portrayed, if the plot or theme contains an element to
                    > transcend internal and/or external repression, and ultimately, if
                    the
                    > characters still retain voice. I am also contemplating about
                    turning
                    > this project into an extended one for my Thesis.
                    >

                    > I'm hoping to get everybody's thoughts and feelings on it. As of
                    > right now I have seen Maria Sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry Panic,
                    Simoun,
                    > and Yami to Boshi. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions for
                    > resources, or other Anime that would be crucial to look at, please
                    do
                    > not hesitate in reponding back.
                    >
                    > Currently, I am a graduate student at East Carolina University in
                    the
                    > Multicultural Literature department. My B.A. is in Cultural
                    > Anthropology and my minor is in Pyschology.

                    I think that is really cool. I have many that I would suggest, though
                    I am not sure exactly what you are looking for. Purely yuri central
                    with overtly lesbian characters, then there isn't much to go on. I'd
                    say that the only two like that that you didn't name that I can think
                    of are "Kannazuki no miko" and "revolutionary girl utena."

                    If you mean anime with some yuri in it, and/or it isn't central to
                    the plot, or it is covert. Then I would suggest "Mai Hime" "My
                    Otome" "Blue Drop" "Magical Girl Nanoha" "Magical Girl Nanoha A's"
                    Magical Girl Nanoha StrikerS" "Kurau Phantom Memory" ""R.O.D. The
                    TV." "Noir" I am currently just starting "El Cazador de la Bruja" and
                    have only watched three episodes, though I like it a lot so far, and
                    haven't seen "Burst Angel" yet but it sounds alright based on what
                    I'be heard about it.

                    These are not all there are, but they are the ones that I like of the
                    ones I've seen, or know anything about.

                    Erica, is the really knowledgable one in the area, I'm relatively new
                    to yuri as well. She will be able to help you out a lot I think.

                    I really hope that your paper works out well. Good luck!
                  • hayesman@haze-studios.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 25, 2008
                      > Hello everyone!
                      >
                      > I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Kimberly
                      > and I'm quite new to the subsect of Yuri Anime. My gf about 6 months
                      > ago introduced me to it and I have become enthralled.
                      >
                      > Most importantly though, I am currently working on a graduate paper
                      > for my Women Studies course on Gender and Language on Yuri Anime.
                      > Specifically, how it is or is not feminist centered by the way they
                      > Currently, I am a graduate student at East Carolina University in the
                      > Multicultural Literature department. My B.A. is in Cultural
                      > Anthropology and my minor is in Psychology.

                      Welcome, and good luck with your project. I find it fascinating and would
                      love to be kept updated on it, use my personal email if need be.

                      I teach drawing workshops and have years of experience with graphic design
                      and storytelling techniques. In fact, this summer will be my 10th drawing
                      workshop at Otakon. IF you have any questions, please come to me.

                      I should point out that Erica Friedman and lililicious.net should be
                      invaluable resources for you.

                      Good luck and Godspeed!

                      Haze

                      PS Weezer is awesome. Blue Album FTW!
                    • Adam Jones
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 25, 2008
                        On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:49:04 -0000, "Kimberly" <drumweezer@...>
                        wrote:

                        > As of right now I have seen Maria Sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry Panic,
                        > Simoun, and Yami to Boshi. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions
                        > for resources, or other Anime that would be crucial to look at,
                        > please do not hesitate in reponding back.

                        Short answer: watch Utena.
                        Long answer: watch Utena again. ;)

                        Welcome to the list, and best of luck with your thesis. I suspect
                        there's plenty of material to work with...
                        .oO("This is not spam in the strictest sense" )
                      • Albert Lunde
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 26, 2008
                          > Most importantly though, I am currently working on a graduate paper
                          > for my Women Studies course on Gender and Language on Yuri Anime.

                          It seems to me that it would be worth looking at related manga
                          and novels, because they are more numerous, and it's easier
                          to relate them broader tends in writing.

                          Lililicious among others have fan-translated a number of recent
                          and earlier yuri-themed manga.

                          One also might ask questions about what audience various
                          anime/manga were targeted at.

                          It seems to be a recent "discovery" that readers of male-oriented
                          mangazines, are interested in (non-pornographic) series with
                          mostly female characters. I'd point to Azumanga Daioh, Nanoha,
                          and Strawberry Panic as examples of this (though Nanoha, also,
                          spun off of a game francise). These works may be borrowing
                          genere conventions from shoujo writing, but the audience
                          still affects the fanservice and emphasis.

                          There is also interesting material in the area of gender
                          reversal/confusion in shoujo anime/manga.

                          --
                          Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                          atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 26, 2008
                            Kimberly wrote:

                            >I'm hoping to get everybody's thoughts and feelings on it. As of
                            >right now I have seen Maria Sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry Panic, Simoun,
                            >and Yami to Boshi. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions for
                            >resources, or other Anime that would be crucial to look at, please do
                            >not hesitate in reponding back.

                            In addition to the titles other people have suggested, I would also
                            recommend watching Brother, Dear Brother (Oniisama e). And, while I
                            wouldn't normally recommend them, you may find the Strange Love (Hen)
                            OVAs useful for your paper as well.

                            Welcome to the group!

                            Erin
                          • Kimberly Thompson
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 26, 2008
                              Wow I never expected to get such the response that I did! I'm glad that everyone is interested and thank you for the suggestions and advice.

                              I actually did some work today and found a few articles. Unfortunately, most of them do not necessarily pertain to Yuri specifically, but they should give me some ideas to reflect about in regards to my argument. It somewhat saddens me that there is a lack of literary and scientific research on Yuri, but I guess that's the whole point of me making it my thesis? Pretty much the small research paper is going to let me know whether I want to venture further into the topic.

                              I actually did watch Utena about a year ago and after thinking about it I can see how Utena is important.

                              So from now until the end of April I will be watching, re-watching, and making observations.

                              But if I do find any articles that I think might be of interest to the group I will send it.

                              And as far as Weezer is concerned. I am a fan of Weezer, but actually Weezer is a nick name that my older sister gave to me. And drum... well.. pretty much says it all. I'm a drummer and have been for 14 years.

                              And just for shameless promoting my band's myspace page is

                              Check us out.

                              Kimberly

                              On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@...> wrote:

                              Kimberly wrote:

                              >I'm hoping to get everybody's thoughts and feelings on it. As of
                              >right now I have seen Maria Sama Ga Miteru, Strawberry Panic, Simoun,
                              >and Yami to Boshi. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions for
                              >resources, or other Anime that would be crucial to look at, please do
                              >not hesitate in reponding back.

                              In addition to the titles other people have suggested, I would also
                              recommend watching Brother, Dear Brother (Oniisama e). And, while I
                              wouldn't normally recommend them, you may find the Strange Love (Hen)
                              OVAs useful for your paper as well.

                              Welcome to the group!

                              Erin

                            • Jez Sharp
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
                                Hey! I thought it best to introduce myself on here. I’m not great at giving self introductions so I’m gonna go simple and just do a few personal bullet points followed by a brief summary of how/why I discovered yuri :D

                                • I’m a 22 (soon to be 23) year old...*I was informed I wouldn’t be flamed for the next part*...straight male...*looks about for kick-ass flame throwers nervously just in case* from England. I’ll explain why a straight 22 yr old male is interested in yuri below (no, not just because of the hentai altho’ I’d be lying if I tried to claim it didn’t play its part). Name wise I’m best known as ‘Jez’.

                                • I love tea, tea is my lifeblood...and around now mince pies as well – Imagine taking a mince pie and filling the remaining space with tea to make a Tea Pie and that’s what my main diet is. (I haven’t actually done that yet but I’m very tempted...I have in the past tried spreading lemon curd on frosties and during an exam term poured coca cola into my tea so its well within my insanity meter :D)

                                • I’m incredibly creative (I can often visualise 3D worlds/objects etc. in my mind and when I’m walking somewhere can see/imagine taking all the bricks of a house apart or turning a road into jelly etc.). It’s the part of me I love the most.

                                • Other things I like (in no particular order and off the top of my head): Space, Nature, Family, Manga, Anime, Yuri, Writing (Edit: shameless plug but if you like Negima yuri I’ve written several decent stories as ‘Ethereal Forest’ on fanfiction.net), Food (Fish and Chips, Ramen, Macaroni Cheese...), Animals (Ants, Penguins...), Comfort, Peace, Fantasy, Belonging...oh and Hot Baths...and Exploring (although my negative bank balance doesn’t allow for much atm).

                                • Things I hate: Strife, Wasps, Prunes, Conflict, Horror Films, Disease, Stupidity (of a kind), Socialising (for the sake of).

                                How did I get here?

                                  I started watching anime more generally in 2006 after my sister began watching a series called ‘Naruto’. Since then (having been at Uni for 3 years) I’ve gone on to watch a lot of anime and manga from a wide range of genres. I loved the escapism, bright colours and sense of belonging and friendship that exist in them as well as the sheer diversity in plots/characters/ genres that I felt would help me develop as a writer.

                                  • On the lesbian side I almost certainly became aware of it in adolescence through finding RL girlxgirl porn incredibly attractive (to the almost complete detriment of hetro, lol) which morphed naturally into hentai and doujins when I became heavily attached to anime/manga.

                                  • So far sounding like the stereotypical ‘loser fanboy’ right? However I could never respect/admire/openly associate myself with Plash (Pleasure Trash). I’m not at all happy that my hormones drive me to watch such stuff as its not ‘pure’ beauty; at best it’s merely aesthetic. As time went on, although I was in awe of the beauty, sensitiveness, equality and sheer perfectness of yuri sex; I really wanted to find stories/read manga/watch anime that built up the foundation of love between yuri characters so that the sex wasn’t just ‘empty sex’. (In my experience the most beautiful yuri is a combination of love (understanding and liking the other for who they are etc.), sex and some form of solemn commitment to a future together (e.g. engagement, pactio, vow).

                                  • For a while until I found Fanfiction.net and discovered KonoxSetsu in Negima!? I was unable to find any. Even then KonoxSetsu rarely featured (until the pactio episode which is still one of favourite manga chapters) and 95% of Fanfiction stories were poorly written or lacked the right balance. I also stumbled across the Yuri Hime Wildrose short manga stories but they were too short and were either unsatisfying fluff or Plash. So for a while I gave up looking and went back to discovering random animes and keeping up with Naruto, One Piece and Bleach.

                                  • Recently though I finally discovered what I’d dreamt of finding in the manga ‘Girlfriends’ – on the back of which I discovered a host of others (Octave, Marmite etc.) although in my opinion Girlfriends is still the highlight manga for me (even though it’s yet to reach intimacy – its progressing at a wonderfully steady pace towards it) – its positive without shying away from real life issues/dilemmas and whilst the supporting characters are fairly anonymous the chemistry between the main pair is more than good enough to cover for that. I honestly can’t say enough good things about this manga. Anyway it was whilst browsing for a site that might sell the manga in English that I stumbled onto Erica’s blog reviewing the series and having read a couple of years worth of blogs decided to sign up on the mailing list :)

                                  Hopefully that does as an introduction; but am happy to answer any questions anyone has and look forward to supporting/being a part of this community to further yuri.

                                  Message 15 of 21 , Oct 27, 2009
                                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: jez_sharp@...
                                    Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:19:59 -0700
                                    Subject: [Yuricon] Introduction

                                    Hey! I thought it best to introduce myself on here. I’m not great at giving self introductions so I’m gonna go simple and just do a few personal bullet points followed by a brief summary of how/why I discovered yuri :D

                                    Hi Jez - welcome to the Yuricon Mailing List!

                                    Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com