Yuri in games

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
      Since I have seen very little talk about it I felt that we should pool
      our collective wisdom on yuri in games, as there is very little
      mention of it currently and five years ago I would have committed
      crimes to know what I know now in one great lump. So…

      Evil Zone:
      I have already ranted about the shear awesome of Evil Zone. For space
      you can break it down to three points.

      Setsuna: Main character, really sweet, really cool sword moves.

      Lea: Main villain (technically possessing main villain), really
      bizarre, a mystery though most of the game, hinted to still be in love
      with…

      Kakurine: Ultimate stalker, still clearly in love with Lea, so
      powerful she kills people in her story mode by accident.

      Fear Effect 2:
      Hana and Rain both work together as mercenaries and end up pulled into
      a world ending conspiracy with the other two characters Glas and Deke.

      The story has strong hints of a relationship between the two female
      main characters. However the game's main lure is that it is easily the
      hardiest action-puzzle blend game in existence. Although it is a
      pre-quel whenever rumours pop up about a sequel they always mention
      that both Hana and Rain will be in it.

      Akai Ito:
      I bought this game on a recommendation from a friend. In spite not
      knowing Japanese I used the very helpful branch map feature on the
      game to find the endings. And a character who when she moves into
      battle mode gets an awesome eight-pack, you really do not see that enough.

      Then an online translation has been made (super kudos to zoharcontact
      who did the translation) that covers one of the characters routes to
      date and will soon expand into the other routes. So you can understand
      to a degree what is happening.

      Sapphism no Gensou Case of the H.P. Polestar:
      Although it is a 100% yuri game, Sapphism no Gensou is also very much
      a Hentai game and needed to cover a wide range of bases to sell. But
      if you can ignore the occasional nauseating rape scene and the
      obligatory five minuets of lolicon you can find what makes this game
      good. It has a great cast. Most noticeable are the main character, who
      possesses an aspect that we see little of in female characters GAR.
      Most of this comes from conversations with her sempai who is equally
      weird, requiring constant coffee less she suffer from `withdrawal
      symptoms' and is also in the possession of massive number of blenders.
      (for mixing beans? But why so many?)

      Digital Devil Saga:
      On initial description you would be forgiven for thinking that Argilla
      plays a stereotypical role in DDS. That as in horrible things happen
      to her with little salvation. However this is understandable as in DDS
      horrible things happen to EVERYONE. No one is safe from tragedy in the
      second half of this game's story, but if you pay it all the way though
      Argilla gets a little happiness, eventually.

      Are there any that I have not mentioned? It would be good to read a
      longwinded tirade about a game with Yuri aspects I have not mentioned.
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
        <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

        Let me preface this by saying that I do not game at all, so know
        *nothing* about these games, other than what I read in Yuri Hime. :-)

        > Akai Ito:

        The folks who did this have a new one - Aoi Shiro

        Katahane is also a Yuri game that's getting some online popularity

        Simoun and Strawberry panic both have PS2 games (Japanese only) - so
        does Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl.

        Soulphage is a new schoolgirl game.

        Not bad for a person who doesn't game, huh? :-) I seriously thought
        about buying a Japanese PS2 for my birthday, but then I remembered
        that, after about five minutes, I'd be paralyzed with boredom by any
        game I might get, so gave up the idea.

      • Chikane Himemiya
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
          Star Ocean Till The End Of Time. (Star Ocean 3)  Nel and Claire. It's noticable in the game, and the manga also shows it.

[...]

          "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."

        • Xencia
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
               The game that jumps into my head immediatly is SaGa Frontier for the PS1,it's a turn based RPG.  In the game you can pick from many main characters stories,but the one to look for is Asellus.

            Characters to note:

            Asellus

               She gets run over by a carriage,and gets a blood transfusion from the Charm Lord,who is basically the king of the Mystics,who themselves are pretty much magic vampires.  She becomes Half-Mystic,and sleeps for around 12 years.

            White Rose

              When Asellus awakens the task of training and looking after her is given to Princess White Rose(Mystic).  Asellus just wants to go home and they flee the kingdom together,they become very close through the story.  It's because of her that Asellus finally decides to return to the kingdom and defeat the Charm Lord.

            Gina

              Last of all is Gina,a human girl in the dress shop in town.  News comes that the new mystic 'Prince' has awoken and she wonders what he's like.  When Asellus goes into town to pick up her new royal dress, Gina becomes flustered at first,but they talk often before Asellus manages to flee the kingdom. Gina is later kidnapped,and saving her can determine which of the 3 endings you get.  In one of the endings one of Asellus's retainers remarks on how Gina is waiting for her love,before Asellus shows up.

            Other Games:

            Another game is Jade Empire from Bioware,on the PC and Xbox. It's an action based RPG set in a sort of mythical chinese land.  You control a created character,and one of the romantic interests in the game is the character Silk Fox. If you pursue her it ends up in a scene on a cliff where they lean in to kiss,but the camera fades away just beforehand.

            And Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic,also from Bioware.  Another action/RPG where you control a created character.  One of the side characters,a catlike-humanoid jedi girl,can get a bit of a crush on you,but it's a fairly minor bit and not ever really expanded upon much.

            And for the whole goggled effect an easy choice is Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria for the PS2,an RPG with a sort of strategy RPG combat style.
               Alicia lives with one of the Valkyrie trapped in the same body with her.  They're eventually split and she misses her and talks about how she wasn't whole anymore when they reunite. You'd have to look for it,since they also give Alicia a fairly obvious male interest,but nothing else really comes of that either.

            Xencia
          • Resop
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
              I was thinking recently that I haven't heard of any yuri themed harem animes.

              Now, of course, in most harem animes aimed at hetro guys there will be yuri
              hinted at among members of the females in the harem. But, what I am thinking
              of would be an every-person female lead who has multiple females throw
              themselves at her, all of whom better looking than the lead.

              On the YAOI side, Gakuen Heaven is an example of an every-person male lead who
              has a whole school of bishounen lining up to throw themselves at him (politely
              for the most part).

              Perhaps a bad idea for a yuri anime would be an all female remake of Gakuen
              Heaven?

              Or, to remake a regular harem anime, how about a version of Sister Princess
              Angel where the "big brother" is a girl who was brought up as a guy?

              Craig
            • Jenn Chow
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                isnt strawberry panic a yuri themed harem series?
                ahh the girls wanted shizuma or nagisa or amane

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:

                  > I was thinking recently that I haven't heard of any yuri themed
                  harem animes.

                  Other than Strawberry Panic, you mean?

                  > Or, to remake a regular harem anime, how about a version of Sister
                  Princess
                  > Angel where the "big brother" is a girl who was brought up as a guy?

                  Other than Ribon no Kishi, Rose of Versailles, Oniisama E, and Utena,
                  you mean?

                • Resop
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                    I haven't seen Strawberry Panic past the first episode, but it seemed like it
                    had potential in that department.

                    However, most harem shows are structured with only one every-person.

                    Craig

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                      --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Resop <resop2@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I was thinking recently that I haven't heard of any yuri themed
                      > harem animes.
                      >
                      > Other than Strawberry Panic, you mean?
                      >

                      > > Or, to remake a regular harem anime, how about a version of Sister
                      > Princess
                      > > Angel where the "big brother" is a girl who was brought up as a guy?
                      >
                      > Other than Ribon no Kishi, Rose of Versailles, Oniisama E, and Utena,
                      > you mean?

                      I haven't seen enough of Ribon no Kishi to have an opinion.

                      I wouldn't consider Utena Tenjou an every-girl. She is at least as good
                      looking than the girls in the school who idolize her, so even though she might
                      have a harem Utena is not a Harem Anime.

                      Rose of the Versailles is a slightly better fit because the girls who idolize
                      Oscar are of higher social rank, but Oscar is presented as such a dashingly
                      heroic figure that she doesn't raise much every-person identification.

                      Oniisama E is an even better fit because the lead character Nanako Misonoo is
                      an every-girl and does have to deal with lots of better looking girls. I
                      haven't seen the whole series, but I would be willing to think that it's a yuri
                      harem anime.

                      Good suggestions, though!

                      Craig
                    • Xencia
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                        Maze: The Megaburst Space kinda/sorta fits,and I'd say the OVA definately does.  The majority of the cast wants Maze one way or the other. Though unlike harem stories it has an actual story that moves forward(fantasy/sci-fi). But not everyone after Maze is female,and she is male sometimes in a backwards Ranma way,though she changes personalities then too.

                        Xencia
                      • rowensun
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                          <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > symptoms' and is also in the possession of massive number of
                          blenders.
                          > (for mixing beans? But why so many?)
                          >
                          > Digital Devil Saga:
                          > On initial description you would be forgiven for thinking that
                          Argilla
                          > plays a stereotypical role in DDS. That as in horrible things happen
                          > to her with little salvation. However this is understandable as in
                          DDS
                          > horrible things happen to EVERYONE. No one is safe from tragedy in
                          the
                          > second half of this game's story, but if you pay it all the way
                          though
                          > Argilla gets a little happiness, eventually.
                          >
                          > Are there any that I have not mentioned? It would be good to read a
                          > longwinded tirade about a game with Yuri aspects I have not

                          Is this all? Wow seems a little lonely, neh? I'd really like to get
                          my hands on a good yuri themed game. Lists are nice if anyone has
                          more ideas I'd like to hear them!
                          ~Rose~ =^_^=
                        • rowensun
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Xencia" <xencia@...> wrote:

                            > Maze: The Megaburst Space kinda/sorta fits,and I'd say the OVA
                            definately does. The majority of the cast wants Maze one way or the
                            other. Though unlike harem stories it has an actual story that moves
                            forward(fantasy/sci-fi). But not everyone after Maze is female,and she
                            is male sometimes in a backwards Ranma way,though she changes
                            personalities then too.

                            > Xencia

                            Hmmm, I kinda like Maze.....
                            ~Rose~ =^_^=
                          • Johann Chua
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 25, 2007
                              Advanced V.G. 2

                              All-female fighting game for the PS1 (Japan only) where the girls wear
                              uniforms. The yuri comes in via main character Tamao Mitsurugi, who
                              has a major crush on Yuka Takeuchi (main character of the previous
                              games). It'd be easy to pass it off as akogare if it weren't for the
                              story mode's graphics... The rest of the characters are pretty easy to
                              pair off as well, though it's mostly subtext. Plenty of spoken
                              dialogue for all seiyuu fans.

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamao_Mitsurugi
                            • mara_papimer
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 26, 2007
                                Is there any reason why no one has yet mentioned:

                                Iono-Sama Fanatics?

                                Isn't this a harem manga? That would make a fine gag/harem anime. Also
                                the main character is constantly increasing her harem, something that
                                many harem owners try to avoid.

                                I know it is not an anime, but surely it is worth mentioning. If I
                                can't find anime of the exact type I know that it is possible to find
                                a manga of that type.
                              • Andreas Wilhelmsson
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 26, 2007
                                  I seem to faintly recall someone asking about yuri in games before, in this group... And I think someone mentioned Suikoden V! (PS2) Lelei, the prison guard, who is very much charmed by the political prisoner she is supposed to guard, Luctrecia. Though it's not a main plot thing, and you only see a few scenes throughout where they interact.

                                  Meanwhile, I'd like to contribute with Summon Night, for the GBA. One of the guardian spirits you can get used to belong to the main character's legendary father, and he apparently promised her the hand of his child. Since you pick whether his child is a boy or a girl, and since the guardian spirit herself doesn't really mind genders, one set-up promises to make a very yuri-flavoured playthrough.

                                  Summon Night 2, for the GBA, isn't quite as open, but, again, if you pick the girl main character, there are plenty of hints.

                                  Lastly, the first game I always think about when someone mentions yuri in games, is Fire Emblem, the first of them released for the GBA. (I like the GBA~) I think it's the 6th in the overall series. One of the main characters, Lyn, and her pegasus knight friend, Florina, have a lot of moments throughout the game, especially if you build their relationship up. There is one point where Florina says she loves Lyn, and their sprites go together in what is either a hug or a kiss, but I think the translator wanted to tone it down, so it doesn't feel as lovey-dovey as it probably did in the original Japanese version!

                                  ... And that's my contribution. Hope it helps~

                                  ______________

                                  The Roman alphabet Copyright © to me.

                                  http://solbee.deviantart.com <- My dear friend's DA site! She's awesome, so show her some love~!

                                  http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-23-83-2ptt-84-p.html <- This site is great. Go ahead and buy lots of stuff from it, 'cause I get monays when you do!

                                  Fly(g) från regnet - sök efter resor hos Yahoo! Shopping.
                                  Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://shopping.yahoo.se/b/a/c_169901_resor_biljetter.html
                                • antlan_87
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 28, 2007
                                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Andreas Wilhelmsson
                                    <malachiteshadow@...> wrote:

                                    > I seem to faintly recall someone asking about yuri in games before,
                                    in this group... And I think someone mentioned Suikoden V! (PS2)
                                    Lelei, the prison guard, who is very much charmed by the political
                                    prisoner she is supposed to guard, Luctrecia. Though it's not a main
                                    plot thing, and you only see a few scenes throughout where they interact.

                                    > Meanwhile, I'd like to contribute with Summon Night, for the GBA.
                                    One of the guardian spirits you can get used to belong to the main
                                    character's legendary father, and he apparently promised her the hand
                                    of his child. Since you pick whether his child is a boy or a girl, and
                                    since the guardian spirit herself doesn't really mind genders, one
                                    set-up promises to make a very yuri-flavoured playthrough.

                                    > Summon Night 2, for the GBA, isn't quite as open, but, again, if
                                    you pick the girl main character, there are plenty of hints.

                                    > Lastly, the first game I always think about when someone mentions
                                    yuri in games, is Fire Emblem, the first of them released for the GBA.
                                    (I like the GBA~) I think it's the 6th in the overall series. One of
                                    the main characters, Lyn, and her pegasus knight friend, Florina, have
                                    a lot of moments throughout the game, especially if you build their
                                    relationship up. There is one point where Florina says she loves Lyn,
                                    and their sprites go together in what is either a hug or a kiss, but I
                                    think the translator wanted to tone it down, so it doesn't feel as
                                    lovey-dovey as it probably did in the original Japanese version!

                                    > ... And that's my contribution. Hope it helps~

                                    I think that might have been me. One of the major reasons people see a
                                    relationship between lucretcia and lelei is that before the final
                                    battle their is a touching scene between them and in the ending
                                    credits it says that both of them disappeared together and left
                                    without Cius (the other guard). I agree with your statements on the
                                    Summon Night games, as well as Fire Emblem.
                                  • Kat Ehas
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 29, 2007
                                      On 7/25/07, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                                      Simoun and Strawberry panic both have PS2 games (Japanese only) - so
                                      does Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl.

                                      .

                                      I'm sitting here, trying to think of ways in which Kashimashi could be an engaging game for me.  I just don't see how it could be, however.  And I'm enjoying the manga.  But it not an action story, so short of turning it into something vaguely like a dating-sim or H-game, well, I just don't see the game possibilities in the story.  And I just don't know how interesting I would be able to find a dating-sim or H-game.

                                      Kat Ehas
                                      kat_chan of Lililicious and Otenba
                                    • Adam Jones
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 29, 2007
                                        On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:38:36 -0400
                                        "Kat Ehas" <kat0211@...> wrote:

                                        > I'm sitting here, trying to think of ways in which Kashimashi could
                                        > be an engaging game for me. I just don't see how it could be,
                                        > however. And I'm enjoying the manga. But it not an action story, so
                                        > short of turning it into something vaguely like a dating-sim or
                                        > H-game, well, I just don't see the game possibilities in the story.

                                        I thought it /was/ originally a dating sim (possibly H - I can't
                                        remember)?
                                        .oO("I've created a monster." )
                                      • Andreas Wilhelmsson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 29, 2007
                                          I'm guessing those games are visual novels. Visual novels, for those who don't know, are similar to dating sims and H-games in that you see everything from the main character's eyes, and there are dialogues and choices you make to go down different story paths... but rather than depending on attractive girls and sex scenes to get attention, visual novels take the high road and try to tell more complex stories with more complex characters, and more important decisions to make that will make you go down completely different story-lines that end up on different places... Which is where the replayability comes in!

                                          They also usually have fully voiced dialogues.
                                          Sort of like having a manga that reads to you.
                                          One with a "choose your own adventure" twist.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 29, 2007

                                            --

                                            .

                                            That's very possible, Adam.  I think I remember soemthing mentioned about that here, now that you mention it, too.  But, as I said, that genre isn't my cup of tea, where gaming is concerned, so I don't really pay much attention to those games.  I was more or less stating that I couldn't see what sort of game, other than that, which Kashimashi could be, and that as much as I like the manga, I'd probably be avoiding the game.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 29, 2007
                                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kat Ehas" <kat0211@...> wrote:

                                              And I just don't know how interesting I
                                              > would be able to find a dating-sim or H-game.

                                              Both Strawberry Panic and Kashimashi are powerpoint slide dating-sim
                                              type games, yes.

                                              They both look pretty dull, but then, I think all games look dull
                                              after the initial few moments. :-)

                                              Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                                              http://okazu.blogspot.com
                                            • Phil NANA Day
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 30, 2007
                                                Speaking fo dating-sim ... I just recently acquired a copy of the NANA (Ai Yazawa) game in Nintendo DS and Hachi is stalking my character.  I think I can date Nana and Reira, too, if only I can catch her.

                                                But the guys are more visible in this game.  If only I could understand the options i've been picking (it's all in kanji), maybe I could railroad it more to find Nana ...

                                                kelzie

                                                On 7/30/07, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kat Ehas" <kat0211@...> wrote:

                                                And I just don't know how interesting I
                                                > would be able to find a dating-sim or H-game.

                                                Both Strawberry Panic and Kashimashi are powerpoint slide dating-sim
                                                type games, yes.

                                                They both look pretty dull, but then, I think all games look dull
                                                after the initial few moments. :-)

                                                    "I can't play guitar or keyboard...I'll never be a member of Blast...but my love for these guys...and their music...is something special. I will...always cherish that."
                                                ~ Hachi

                                                    Yazawa, Ai.
                                                    "Nana."
                                                    Shojo Beat June 2007
                                              • mara_papimer
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 31, 2007
                                                  Oh!

                                                  There is a NANA game for the DS? When you say dating sim does that
                                                  mean that it is a scheduling game (example: Tokimeki Memorial) or a
                                                  move around to trigger event game (example: Sentimental Graffiti)? Or
                                                  is it something new entirely?

                                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Phil NANA Day" <philnanaday@...> wrote:

                                                  > Speaking fo dating-sim ... I just recently acquired a copy of the
                                                  NANA (Ai
                                                  > Yazawa) game in Nintendo DS and Hachi is stalking my character. I
                                                  think I
                                                  > can date Nana and Reira, too, if only I can catch her.
                                                  >
                                                  > But the guys are more visible in this game. If only I could
                                                  understand the
                                                  > options i've been picking (it's all in kanji), maybe I could railroad it
                                                  > more to find Nana ...
                                                  >
                                                  > kelzie
                                                • Phil NANA Day
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 31, 2007
                                                    move around trigger event game but eventually schedules a date as far as I can understand the pattern..  i don't know why, by hachi is stalking me everywhere. she goes even to my own apartment and early morning at my work.

                                                    kelzie

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 1 5:22 AM
                                                      Mmm…

                                                      There could be worse stalkers…Shin for example.