Re: Yuri Then and Now

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:

      > "all the lesbian characters
      > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "
      >
      > True. I always think it's odd when gay men or lesbians are
      portrayed as overtly successful and rich. But then I wonder, with
      the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other
      than their career? If they're in the closet chances are they're not
      dating.

      I was going to dispute that, but upon reflection, I think you're
      right. :-)

      In the case of "Moonlight Flowers" Kaoru had been thwarted in her
      love in high school. Although she later realized that she was a
      "lesbian" - as opposed to just being in love with Sahoko - she never
      really recovered emotionally. So yes, she threw herself into her
      career.

      It's not entirely applicable to real life - dating and career aren't
      mutually exclusive, one hopes! :-)

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • Reese Dorrycott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:

        > "all the elsbian characters
        > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "

        Okay first I'm a male-hetro who doesn't give Hadies hind leg who does
        what with who as long as they are all consenting adults.

        That aside, I have worked with Gays and Lesbians from my military days
        (earily 1970's) to being good friends with severial gay/lesbian
        couples even today. No, my best friend is not gay/lesbian, she's my
        wife. Anyway, in my limited experence (and I do stress limited) those
        who are couples tend to have a low to moderate income level. From
        both being Sgt's in the Air Force and hiding in the WAF squadron to
        working at Texas Insterments on 12 hour night shifts to simply getting
        by selling on e-bay.

        As I myself have never been in the rich income area I cannot say
        anything about that, however in the political arena I have found that
        thouse who are successful must again hide in the closet, thus almost
        never have a partner. Or said partner is 'a close friend who comes
        over to watch sports/chat etc etc.'

        I have noticed in Anime that almost all (there have been one or two
        exceptions) gay/lesbian characters are rich, sucessful, and very lonely.

        I myself am a hack fanboy class writer, most of my characters are
        lesbian though I do not know why. I've tried 'the other way' but
        cannot make the characters feel real. Maybe that is the problem in
        Anime. Creators are a really odd lot. We have to get into the heads
        of our characters, and sometimes it scares up.

        Goddess this rambled didn't it? Base point is I think that in Japan
        Lesbian's are considered a mythological class creature like the
        Unicorn & dragon. If they are Yuri, then they must be very successful
        in order to survive. After all, how many male in Japan can honestly
        say they are friends with a real live dyed in the wool lesbian? So
        they make things up.

        My over-worn two dinar.

        Mr. David R. Dorrycott
        the worlds worst writer