Re: Yuri Then and Now

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007

      > Check Ikeda's Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest
      series. But,
      > after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing
      , it's one
      > of the classic stereotypes.

      A really wonderful (and grown up) example of this is "Moonlight
      Flowers," the story of two adult women who find each other years
      after almost becoming lovers in high school. It's not for kids,
      though - it's got some sexual violence and all the elsbian characters
      are unrealistically successful. ;-) But the art is pretty. Both
      characters are feminine, but one is more the cute blonde type, and
      she has the requisite will of iron eventually.

      Lililicious scanlated "Moonlight Flowers" (http://
      www.lililicious.net) and it is also available from Amazon JP through
      the Yuricon Shop (http://www.yuricon.org/shop/manga.html)

    • Jamie Wells
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        "all the elsbian characters
        are unrealistically successful. ;-) "

        True.  I always think it's odd when gay men or lesbians are portrayed as overtly successful and rich.  But then I wonder, with the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other than their career?  If they're in the closet chances are they're not dating.

        Successful careers come from nothing but focus on them (and luck obviously).

        Eack, that made more sense in my head.  I hope that makes sense to you all.

        Jamie Wells
        ---Vexed Fusion

        atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@ ...> wrote:

        > Check Ikeda's Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest
        series. But,
        > after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing
        , it's one
        > of the classic stereotypes.

        A really wonderful (and grown up) example of this is "Moonlight
        Flowers," the story of two adult women who find each other years
        after almost becoming lovers in high school. It's not for kids,
        though - it's got some sexual violence and all the elsbian characters
        are unrealistically successful. ;-) But the art is pretty. Both
        characters are feminine, but one is more the cute blonde type, and
        she has the requisite will of iron eventually.

        Lililicious scanlated "Moonlight Flowers" (http://
        www.lililicious. net) and it is also available from Amazon JP through
        the Yuricon Shop (http://www.yuricon. org/shop/ manga.html)

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:

          > "all the lesbian characters
          > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "
          >
          > True. I always think it's odd when gay men or lesbians are
          portrayed as overtly successful and rich. But then I wonder, with
          the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other
          than their career? If they're in the closet chances are they're not
          dating.

          I was going to dispute that, but upon reflection, I think you're
          right. :-)

          In the case of "Moonlight Flowers" Kaoru had been thwarted in her
          love in high school. Although she later realized that she was a
          "lesbian" - as opposed to just being in love with Sahoko - she never
          really recovered emotionally. So yes, she threw herself into her
          career.

          It's not entirely applicable to real life - dating and career aren't
          mutually exclusive, one hopes! :-)

          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
          http://okazu.blogspot.com
        • Reese Dorrycott
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:

            > "all the elsbian characters
            > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "

            Okay first I'm a male-hetro who doesn't give Hadies hind leg who does
            what with who as long as they are all consenting adults.

            That aside, I have worked with Gays and Lesbians from my military days
            (earily 1970's) to being good friends with severial gay/lesbian
            couples even today. No, my best friend is not gay/lesbian, she's my
            wife. Anyway, in my limited experence (and I do stress limited) those
            who are couples tend to have a low to moderate income level. From
            both being Sgt's in the Air Force and hiding in the WAF squadron to
            working at Texas Insterments on 12 hour night shifts to simply getting
            by selling on e-bay.

            As I myself have never been in the rich income area I cannot say
            anything about that, however in the political arena I have found that
            thouse who are successful must again hide in the closet, thus almost
            never have a partner. Or said partner is 'a close friend who comes
            over to watch sports/chat etc etc.'

            I have noticed in Anime that almost all (there have been one or two
            exceptions) gay/lesbian characters are rich, sucessful, and very lonely.

            I myself am a hack fanboy class writer, most of my characters are
            lesbian though I do not know why. I've tried 'the other way' but
            cannot make the characters feel real. Maybe that is the problem in
            Anime. Creators are a really odd lot. We have to get into the heads
            of our characters, and sometimes it scares up.

            Goddess this rambled didn't it? Base point is I think that in Japan
            Lesbian's are considered a mythological class creature like the
            Unicorn & dragon. If they are Yuri, then they must be very successful
            in order to survive. After all, how many male in Japan can honestly
            say they are friends with a real live dyed in the wool lesbian? So
            they make things up.

            My over-worn two dinar.

            Mr. David R. Dorrycott
            the worlds worst writer