Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Yuri Then and Now

Expand Messages
  • Freddy J.
    I don t know if there was ever a topic like this so If i m starting up a old topic I m Sorry. I was talking Yuri with My brother and It got me thinking about
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      I don't know if there was ever a topic like this so If i'm starting
      up a old topic I'm Sorry.

      I was talking Yuri with My brother and It got me thinking about the
      quality and story line of Yuri anime past and Present. Does anyone
      believe that the story Line of Yuri as Improved or have gotten more
      predictable? I was thinking of Revolutionary Girl Utenia and Kannazuki
      No Miko. Both have Strong women and Dainty Girlfriends who have a inner
      Flame in Them. Both Those anime are of course good and are decades
      part. Both also don't show a Yuri with both girls feeling the same way
      Till the end of the Series. I would Love to get everyone opinion.
    • Grisznak
      Check Ikeda s Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest series. But, after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing , it s one of the
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Check Ikeda's Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest series. But, after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing , it's one of the classic stereotypes.
        cheers
        Grishnak

        On 7/5/07, Freddy J. <flatbushpapi@...> wrote:

        I don't know if there was ever a topic like this so If i'm starting
        up a old topic I'm Sorry.

        I was talking Yuri with My brother and It got me thinking about the
        quality and story line of Yuri anime past and Present. Does anyone
        believe that the story Line of Yuri as Improved or have gotten more
        predictable? I was thinking of Revolutionary Girl Utenia and Kannazuki
        No Miko. Both have Strong women and Dainty Girlfriends who have a inner
        Flame in Them. Both Those anime are of course good and are decades
        part. Both also don't show a Yuri with both girls feeling the same way
        Till the end of the Series. I would Love to get everyone opinion.


      • atheniag
        ... series. But, ... , it s one ... A really wonderful (and grown up) example of this is Moonlight Flowers, the story of two adult women who find each other
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@...> wrote:
          >
          > Check Ikeda's Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest
          series. But,
          > after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing
          , it's one
          > of the classic stereotypes.

          A really wonderful (and grown up) example of this is "Moonlight
          Flowers," the story of two adult women who find each other years
          after almost becoming lovers in high school. It's not for kids,
          though - it's got some sexual violence and all the elsbian characters
          are unrealistically successful. ;-) But the art is pretty. Both
          characters are feminine, but one is more the cute blonde type, and
          she has the requisite will of iron eventually.

          Lililicious scanlated "Moonlight Flowers" (http://
          www.lililicious.net) and it is also available from Amazon JP through
          the Yuricon Shop (http://www.yuricon.org/shop/manga.html)

          Cheers,

          Erica
        • Jamie Wells
          all the elsbian characters are unrealistically successful. ;-) True. I always think it s odd when gay men or lesbians are portrayed as overtly successful
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            "all the elsbian characters
            are unrealistically successful. ;-) "

            True.  I always think it's odd when gay men or lesbians are portrayed as overtly successful and rich.  But then I wonder, with the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other than their career?  If they're in the closet chances are they're not dating.

            Successful careers come from nothing but focus on them (and luck obviously).

            Eack, that made more sense in my head.  I hope that makes sense to you all.

            Jamie Wells
            ---Vexed Fusion

            atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@ ...> wrote:
            >
            > Check Ikeda's Brother Dear Brother, or Simoun, from the newest
            series. But,
            > after all, in most yuri series we could find this typical pairing
            , it's one
            > of the classic stereotypes.

            A really wonderful (and grown up) example of this is "Moonlight
            Flowers," the story of two adult women who find each other years
            after almost becoming lovers in high school. It's not for kids,
            though - it's got some sexual violence and all the elsbian characters
            are unrealistically successful. ;-) But the art is pretty. Both
            characters are feminine, but one is more the cute blonde type, and
            she has the requisite will of iron eventually.

            Lililicious scanlated "Moonlight Flowers" (http://
            www.lililicious. net) and it is also available from Amazon JP through
            the Yuricon Shop (http://www.yuricon. org/shop/ manga.html)

            Cheers,

            Erica



            Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.
            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • atheniag
            ... portrayed as overtly successful and rich. But then I wonder, with the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other than their career?
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:
              >
              > "all the lesbian characters
              > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "
              >
              > True. I always think it's odd when gay men or lesbians are
              portrayed as overtly successful and rich. But then I wonder, with
              the closeted gays and lesbians, what do they have to focus on other
              than their career? If they're in the closet chances are they're not
              dating.

              I was going to dispute that, but upon reflection, I think you're
              right. :-)

              In the case of "Moonlight Flowers" Kaoru had been thwarted in her
              love in high school. Although she later realized that she was a
              "lesbian" - as opposed to just being in love with Sahoko - she never
              really recovered emotionally. So yes, she threw herself into her
              career.

              It's not entirely applicable to real life - dating and career aren't
              mutually exclusive, one hopes! :-)

              Cheers,

              Erica

              Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
              http://okazu.blogspot.com
            • Reese Dorrycott
              ... Okay first I m a male-hetro who doesn t give Hadies hind leg who does what with who as long as they are all consenting adults. That aside, I have worked
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:
                >
                > "all the elsbian characters
                > are unrealistically successful. ;-) "

                Okay first I'm a male-hetro who doesn't give Hadies hind leg who does
                what with who as long as they are all consenting adults.

                That aside, I have worked with Gays and Lesbians from my military days
                (earily 1970's) to being good friends with severial gay/lesbian
                couples even today. No, my best friend is not gay/lesbian, she's my
                wife. Anyway, in my limited experence (and I do stress limited) those
                who are couples tend to have a low to moderate income level. From
                both being Sgt's in the Air Force and hiding in the WAF squadron to
                working at Texas Insterments on 12 hour night shifts to simply getting
                by selling on e-bay.

                As I myself have never been in the rich income area I cannot say
                anything about that, however in the political arena I have found that
                thouse who are successful must again hide in the closet, thus almost
                never have a partner. Or said partner is 'a close friend who comes
                over to watch sports/chat etc etc.'

                I have noticed in Anime that almost all (there have been one or two
                exceptions) gay/lesbian characters are rich, sucessful, and very lonely.

                I myself am a hack fanboy class writer, most of my characters are
                lesbian though I do not know why. I've tried 'the other way' but
                cannot make the characters feel real. Maybe that is the problem in
                Anime. Creators are a really odd lot. We have to get into the heads
                of our characters, and sometimes it scares up.

                Goddess this rambled didn't it? Base point is I think that in Japan
                Lesbian's are considered a mythological class creature like the
                Unicorn & dragon. If they are Yuri, then they must be very successful
                in order to survive. After all, how many male in Japan can honestly
                say they are friends with a real live dyed in the wool lesbian? So
                they make things up.

                My over-worn two dinar.



                Mr. David R. Dorrycott
                the worlds worst writer
                www.naorhy.com
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.