'Biological Exuberance'

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
      Has anyone heard of this textbook by Bruce Bagemihl? According to this,
      homosexuality is not a trait exclusive to the human race; it happens
      more often in the wildlife kingdom than people realize. Same-sex couple
      acts sometimes happen as a result of confusion; but in plenty of other
      cases this isn't so. This should be interesting for anyone into the
      subject; and should dispell all notions of homosexuality
      being 'unnatural'. You can find it real easily on Amazon--Pachy_Boy
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
        Pachy, if there is one thing I've learned from a lifetime of disputation --

        If the animal world does it, and they approve, it's natural.

        If the animal world does it, and they don't approve, it's bestial.

        Facts and a sense of proportion have nothing to do with it.

        Ellen Rose

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:

          > Pachy, if there is one thing I've learned from a lifetime of
          disputation --

          > If the animal world does it, and they approve, it's natural.
          >
          > If the animal world does it, and they don't approve, it's bestial.
          >
          > Facts and a sense of proportion have nothing to do with it.
          >
          > Ellen Rose

          Behalf Of
          > Eric
          > Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:55 PM
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Yuricon] 'Biological Exuberance'
          >

          > Has anyone heard of this textbook by Bruce Bagemihl? According to
          this,
          > homosexuality is not a trait exclusive to the human race; it
          happens
          > more often in the wildlife kingdom than people realize. Same-sex
          couple
          > acts sometimes happen as a result of confusion; but in plenty of
          other
          > cases this isn't so. This should be interesting for anyone into
          the
          > subject; and should dispell all notions of homosexuality
          > being 'unnatural'. You can find it real easily on Amazon--
          Pachy_Boy

          I have. Actually it fueled a few of our descussions in my biology
          class. Interesting stuff if your into that subject.
        • Jamie Wells
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
            What Ellen has learned reminds me of the argument of
            if we let gays and lesbians get married we might as well let people marry animals?

            So do you think if an animal wanted to marry a human they would allow gays and lesbians to marry?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
              On 6/29/07, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@...> wrote:

              > What Ellen has learned reminds me of the argument of if we let gays and
              > lesbians get married we might as well let people marry animals?
              >
              > So do you think if an animal wanted to marry a human they would allow gays
              > and lesbians to marry?

              Eh, how would we know if the animal wanted to? Interspecies communication isn't exactly precise.

              Marriage benefits are pretty human-oriented as well.
            • William Jason Morris
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007

                Hi all

                At the risk of sounding odd, humas marrying animals would look preety odd, don't you think?

                Message Received: Jun 29 2007, 10:36 AM
                From: "Johann Chua"
                To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [Yuricon] 'Biological Exuberance'

                On 6/29/07, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > What Ellen has learned reminds me of the argument of if we let gays and
                > lesbians get married we might as well let people marry animals?
                >
                > So do you think if an animal wanted to marry a human they would allow gays
                > and lesbians to marry?

                Eh, how would we know if the animal wanted to? Interspecies communication isn't exactly precise.

                Marriage benefits are pretty human-oriented as well.

              • Gladys
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
                  And talk about divorce, would a monkey get the house or the car? lol

                  From: "Johann Chua"
                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
                    I would hope the monkey got the house. The concept of "monkey house" is a lot more fun than the concept of a monkey driving a car.

                    Ellen

                    On 6/29/07, William Jason Morris <william.j.morris@ fsmail.net> wrote:

                    Hi all

                    At the risk of sounding odd, humas marrying animals would look preety odd, don't you think?

                    ============ ========= ========= ========= =
                    Message Received: Jun 29 2007, 10:36 AM
                    From: "Johann Chua"
                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com

                    On 6/29/07, Jamie Wells <tigrisataica@ yahoo.com > wrote:

                    > What Ellen has learned reminds me of the argument of if we let gays and
                    > lesbians get married we might as well let people marry animals?
                    >
                    > So do you think if an animal wanted to marry a human they would allow gays
                    > and lesbians to marry?

                    Eh, how would we know if the animal wanted to? Interspecies communication isn't exactly precise.

                    Marriage benefits are pretty human-oriented as well.

                  • Heather O'Malley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2007
                      Monkey House....isn't that a new show on Fox?

                      Heather

                      --
                      We are then, in a real sense, cocreators with the ultimate powers of the universe because in striving to fulfill our destiny, we make the changes that help spiritual ideas become incarnate in the flesh. In the spirit world, there might be a wonderland of possibilities, but until an idea takes on flesh and demonstrates its significance, the universe does not appear at all.
                      - Deloria