Question about amazon.co.jp

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
      Hi, I am new to this discussion group and was curious about Amazon
      Japan. This seems to be a great source of Japanese language manga,
      except for the shipping costs =(. However, it appears I cannot log in
      with my regular account and password. Is it true Amazon Japan is not
      Amazon and we need a new account there?

      Do any of you guys shop there? Are they as reliable as the American
      Amazon?

      Sorry about all the questions. I get some of my Japanese manga on EBay
      from Japanese distributors, some from Japan Town in San Francisco, but
      its nice to have choices when those two options don't have what I want.

      Oh, and yoroshiku onegaishimasu!!
    • Erin Subramanian
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
        Lori wrote:

        >Hi, I am new to this discussion group and was curious about Amazon
        >Japan. This seems to be a great source of Japanese language manga,
        >except for the shipping costs =(. However, it appears I cannot log in
        >with my regular account and password. Is it true Amazon Japan is not
        >Amazon and we need a new account there?

        Welcome to the group.
        Yes, when I signed up I had to make a new account for Amazon Japan
        separate from my regular Amazon account.

        >Do any of you guys shop there? Are they as reliable as the American
        >Amazon?

        I've shopped there on quite a few occasions and never had a problem.
        None of my friends who've shopped there have ever had a problem either,
        as far as I know.

        Erin
      • Susan Davis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <meeze@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am new to this discussion group and was curious about Amazon
          > Japan. This seems to be a great source of Japanese language manga,
          > except for the shipping costs =(. However, it appears I cannot log in
          > with my regular account and password. Is it true Amazon Japan is not
          > Amazon and we need a new account there?

          Yes, that's correct.

          > Do any of you guys shop there? Are they as reliable as the American
          > Amazon?

          They are, although they tend to pick expensive brokers (at least in
          Canada), which further adds to your shipping expense. I tend to batch
          orders up into big batches, to ship just once and cut down on shipping
          costs.

          --
          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
            >From: "Lori" <meeze@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Yuricon] Question about amazon.co.jp
            >Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:12:09 -0000
            >
            >Hi, I am new to this discussion group and was curious about Amazon
            >Japan. This seems to be a great source of Japanese language manga,
            >except for the shipping costs =(. However, it appears I cannot log in
            >with my regular account and password. Is it true Amazon Japan is not
            >Amazon and we need a new account there?

            Hi there!

            Yes. You need to set up a separate account. That's true for any
            country-specific Amazon. They look the same, but they don't share user
            databases (or much of anything, really.)

            >Do any of you guys shop there? Are they as reliable as the American
            >Amazon?

            I shop there regularly and I find them, on the whole, to be MORE reliable
            than the American Amazon. And often faster. If you don't read Japanese, you
            can use the fact that the Amazon page is the same for every country to help
            navigate.

            Go to the Yuricon Shop (http://www.yuricon.org/shop) and look through the
            Yuri Manga page, there's many dozens of links to good yuri manga on
            Amazon.JP. Click something you want (we've alphabetized titles by English
            transliteration) and that will take you to the Amazon JP page. (If you are
            shopping for other things, like anime or books, please still go through the
            shop initially, we get a referral and it helps support Yuricon - this is
            true for the American Amazon, too.)

            The big orange button on the right that looks like the "put this in my
            shopping cart" button on the American Amazon reads "put this in my shopping
            cart" in Japanese.

            When you click the "check out" button, or the "view cart" buttons - which
            are in the same place and look the same as the English-language buttons on
            the American Amazon - you'll be brought to your cart. On the top of your
            cart list, there is a little English-language text that says "Do you want to
            see this page in English" with a link. Click it, and from this point on the
            shipping and checkout pages will all be in English. The titles of your
            purchases will NOT translate. Just the instructions.

            But if you remember that every link and button is in the same place and is
            the same shape and color on every Amazon site, it'll be pretty easy to
            navigate around, regardless of language.

            Amazon JP only ships express these days to America. They used to have a
            ground shipment, but too many things went missing or took more than two
            months. So they stopped.

            I get my Amazon JP stuff from DHL. They send me a tracking number and if I'm
            expecting a package that day, I can put a note on my door with my signature
            and the DHL guy leaves it there for me. :-)

            If you have any other questions, just ask!

          • Lori
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...> >
              Hi there!

              > Yes. You need to set up a separate account. That's true for any
              > country-specific Amazon. They look the same, but they don't share
              user
              > databases (or much of anything, really.)

              .... and more deleted for space saving purposes

              Thanks much both of you who answered. $20 base shipping + $3 per
              item is a lot (ouch) but wow, what a selection they have! It makes
              sense to shop for Japanese stuff in its native country!

              Yes, I am trying to teach myself Japanese but so far my grasp of it
              is very minimal. However, if I could get my hands on Japanese
              language material, it would obviously provide a nice incentive!

              What about subscription manga? Is that obtainable through
              amazon.co.jp as well?
            • Nanchan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2007
                Welcome to the group, first of all. :D

                And second, I've had quite a bit of experience with
                Amazon.jp and recommend it highly. True, shipping can
                be expensive, so I usually wait to order from there
                until I'm going to buy a whole bunch of items at once,
                but their shipping is amazingly prompt even on the
                low-cost shipping option, and everything I've ever
                gotten from them was in perfect condition.

                It's true that you'll need to reregister with
                Amazon.jp even if you have an account on the American
                site (just like you would with Amazon.uk, or .de, or
                any of the other countries' versions); it seems each
                country's Amazon division has its own system and
                customer database. But the registration process isn't
                hard, and most of the important info can be accessed
                in English. And when in doubt, it's the exact same
                process as the U.S. site, so when in doubt, go through
                the motions of registration there and then push the
                same buttons on the JP site. ^^;

                Other than Amazon.jp, I also use Akadot quite often.
                I've found their prices are comparable to Amazon's,
                and they sometimes have items that Amazon has sold out
                of - I got Yuri Hime 3 and 5 from them after Amazon
                had been sold out for months. They're also quick
                shippers and helpful; the few times I recieved damaged
                items from them (just creases from mailing, nothing
                major) they politely and promptly replaced then. IIRC,
                they also have a brick-and-mortor store in California,
                so if that's where you live you might be able to get
                your stuff directly.

                One thing to keep in mind, though: If you're going to
                order from Amazon.JP, use the links on the Yuricon
                Shop site to do so and give something back to Erica
                and the Yuricon/ALC folks who bring yuri and yuri news
                to us. :D

                ~Nanchan

                --- Lori <meeze@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I am new to this discussion group and was
                > curious about Amazon
                > Japan. This seems to be a great source of Japanese
                > language manga,
                > except for the shipping costs =(. However, it
                > appears I cannot log in
                > with my regular account and password. Is it true
                > Amazon Japan is not
                > Amazon and we need a new account there?
                >
                > Do any of you guys shop there? Are they as reliable
                > as the American
                > Amazon?
                >
                > Sorry about all the questions. I get some of my
                > Japanese manga on EBay
                > from Japanese distributors, some from Japan Town in
                > San Francisco, but
                > its nice to have choices when those two options
                > don't have what I want.
                >
                > Oh, and yoroshiku onegaishimasu!!

                http://tv.yahoo.com/
              • Lori