Re: [Yuricon] [OTish but feel-good] Lesbian politician in Japan gets hitched

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
      >From: Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] [OTish but feel-good] Lesbian politician in Japan
      >gets hitched
      >Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >And the coolest thing is, they BOTH wore wedding
      >dresses. I expected one of them in a tux. But, you
      >know, they did look stylin'.

      Not *every* couple is butch/femme. ;-) But yeah, I thought they looked great
      - and happy. The picture made the whole article.

    • Carrie Robertson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
        There's also a pretty good section on her in Kickboxing Geisha by Veronica Chambers (pp 233-240.)

        atheniag wrote:

        From Pink News:

        Japan's first openly lesbian politician celebrated her same-sex
        partnership on Sunday, a month before elections for Japan's upper
        house.

        Kanako Otsuji, 32, is a candidate for the Democratic Party of Japan
        in next month's election for the House of Councillors.

        She tied the knot with her partner of four years, Maki Kimura, 32.

        Full article here:

        http://www.pinknews .co.uk/news/ articles/ 2005-4557. html

        I'm currently reading "Emerging Lesbian Voices From Japan" and it's
        depressing the heck out of me, so this piece of news simply made me
        happy. The picture on the article just makes me smile. :-)

        ...I can't help but think that if even a few people in Japan are
        brave enough to force change, things would change pretty quickly.
        Everytime I'm there, it strikes me as a country poised on the brink
        of change but no one wants to be the one to be the first, which is
        admittedly a miserable and difficult position in any culture, much
        less in the group-centric East.

        But I digress. Best wishes to the happy couple and good luck in the
        elections to Otsuji-san.

      • Jamie Wells
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
          I know when I get married I'm not wearing a tux, nor am I wearing a wedding dress.  But I'll definitely be in pants of some sort.

          Still, this is awesome.  Go Japs!  ^^

          Thanks for sharing the news also! =D

          http://liveearth. msn.com?source= msntaglineliveea rthhm