[OTish but feel-good] Lesbian politician in Japan gets hitched

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
      From Pink News:

      Japan's first openly lesbian politician celebrated her same-sex
      partnership on Sunday, a month before elections for Japan's upper
      house.

      Kanako Otsuji, 32, is a candidate for the Democratic Party of Japan
      in next month's election for the House of Councillors.

      She tied the knot with her partner of four years, Maki Kimura, 32.

      Full article here:

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-4557.html

      I'm currently reading "Emerging Lesbian Voices From Japan" and it's
      depressing the heck out of me, so this piece of news simply made me
      happy. The picture on the article just makes me smile. :-)

      ...I can't help but think that if even a few people in Japan are
      brave enough to force change, things would change pretty quickly.
      Everytime I'm there, it strikes me as a country poised on the brink
      of change but no one wants to be the one to be the first, which is
      admittedly a miserable and difficult position in any culture, much
      less in the group-centric East.

      But I digress. Best wishes to the happy couple and good luck in the
      elections to Otsuji-san.

    • Carmen DiProspero
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
        And the coolest thing is, they BOTH wore wedding
        dresses. I expected one of them in a tux. But, you
        know, they did look stylin'.

        Carmen ^_^

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
          >From: Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] [OTish but feel-good] Lesbian politician in Japan
          >gets hitched
          >Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >And the coolest thing is, they BOTH wore wedding
          >dresses. I expected one of them in a tux. But, you
          >know, they did look stylin'.

          Not *every* couple is butch/femme. ;-) But yeah, I thought they looked great
          - and happy. The picture made the whole article.

        • Carrie Robertson

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
              I know when I get married I'm not wearing a tux, nor am I wearing a wedding dress.  But I'll definitely be in pants of some sort.

              Still, this is awesome.  Go Japs!  ^^

              Thanks for sharing the news also! =D

              http://liveearth. msn.com?source= msntaglineliveea rthhm