Re: Evil Zone (Eretzvaju)

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
      I played this one all the time (the JP version), and was rather
      horified when the western version was released.

      "Hey, let's replace the peppy poppy japanese opening music with some
      mindless techno gibberish!".

      Me n' the family had great fun playing that game, and we had NO idea
      what the story was, or what the characters were saying. Didn't
      matter, since Awesome and Glory knows no language boundries.

      When we grabbed the US version... meh. Couldn't go for more than 5
      mins. The fun just wasn't there.

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen

      P.S. Although this could unexpectedly become a disussion as to the
      pros and cons of localisation from yesteryear and today. They don't
      completely redo the music and theme of anime openings today... do they?

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiMhusxzR9s
    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        > "Hey, let's replace the peppy poppy japanese opening music with some
        > mindless techno gibberish!".

        You can find Eril's original theme here:
        http://www.angelfire.com/anime/evilzone/

        I did not know that they changed the intro theame. Someone else should
        get the rights and re-release it.
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
          IIRC, the Japanese version's theme song was by Masami Okui. That makes two fighting game entries for the Masami Okui Yuri Theory (Advanced V.G. 2 being the other) that I know of.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

            > I played this one all the time (the JP version), and was rather
            > horified when the western version was released.
            >
            > "Hey, let's replace the peppy poppy japanese opening music with some
            > mindless techno gibberish!".

            This seems to be the default on all to-US adaptations for anime, as
            well. Pokemon has had many opening themes in Japanese, and we are all
            probably familiar with the "Gotta Get "em All!" rap they replaced it
            with.

            One Piece, which has awesome openings and endings, was replaced with
            a turgid techno rap of the title repeated over and over - same for Yu-
            Gi-Oh, without the awesome Japanese music part. :-)

            I have no idea why the American ideal for an opening theme seems to
            be the title words repeated over and over mixed as if by a 8 year old
            DJ wanna be. But that does seem to be the standard.

            I like how Adult Swim on Cartoon Network is leaving in the end
            themes, but they still cut some of the openings for time. I also like
            how the end theme for Yu Yu Hakusho was translated and re-recorded,
            which I thought was a fair middle ground. (I personally prefer to
            listen to pop music in foreign languages so I can pretend I don't
            know how insispid they are. ;-))

            Join Yuri fandom for the only 100% Yuri day of 2007 -
            Yuricon's "Yurisai" event, Sept. 29, 2007
            http://www.yuricon.org/events/07index.html