Yuricon 2002 events/site/plans/notes (ok, it's long)

    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
      Greetings all -

      On this eve of yet another New Year, the ALC First Lady and myself
      would like to wish you all a happy, health New Year. I myself received
      a cold for Christmas, so the next site update is running a little
      behind schedule.

      The original ALC list was born Jan.4, 2001, so we're using that date
      as our birthday - we're almost a year old and much larger and more
      enthusiastic and energetic than I could ever have expected.

      Here's some upcoming update news:

      First and foremost, the Poster Contest winners announcement - all the
      submissions will go up on a special poster art gallery. The winner's
      poster will be printed up and sold through our goddies page -
      you'll be able to get you and all your friends an official ALC
      2002 poster!

      New Shrines for 2002 - I'm not giving away the who, but rest assured,
      they're cool and interesting. And at least one will be a revelation.

      Events - Here's an idea...ALC is franchising Yuricon events! LOL If
      you're a yuri/shoujoai fan and you want to meet and hang with other
      fans, either at a con or on your own, the ALC staff will assist you in
      setting up an event in your area. Got a favorite bar or club? See if
      you can take over for the night. We'll provide tapes/DVDs of good
      shoujoai and yuri anime, music vids, etc, we'll even research the
      local spots for PR and calendar mentions - YOU host and act cool, and
      get the credit. We'd like to see as many events as possible - even if
      it's just having people over for a video night - spread the word,
      recruit the children! LOL

      We'll also be setting up a formal list of cons where ALC/Yuricon will
      be present and what we'll be doing - party, table, informal hanging
      about, etc.

      ***

      Now, on to the important administration stuff. We'd all like to see
      ALC/Yuricon 2003 happen. That takes three things - people, time and
      money, not in that order. Right now, I've got a great staff - but
      we're not enough to do a con. And we don't have much money, either.
      SO, we have a few solutions:

      1) ebay auctions - It's become traditional for cons to run fundraising
      through this non-intrusive method. First Lady Pattie has said that she
      will take on the job of organizing and arranging any ebay auctions.
      What we need from you is good stuff to auction! We have stuff we pick
      up here and there, good strong chicks with weapons stuff, or yuri
      manga and the like - but we need more! Got a doujin you don't read
      much? Or a Japanese manga you can't translate? Art or toys you've
      grown out of, etc? We'll be glad to take that pesky stuff off your
      hands and turn it into financial support for ALC.

      Of course, flat out donations are welcome too! Feel free to get a
      second job to support our anime habit. :-)

      If you think you have a lead for a sponsorship, either of our Yuri
      manga, "Yuri Monogatari" or any event or project, drop us a line and
      let us know.

      2) People - Yep, we need you! We have 18 months to make ALC happen and
      I believe, with all my heart, that we can do it. But without people to
      make it work, it won't become reality. Now, here's the problem - while
      I, personally, am always pleased by the enthusiasm of the many
      volunteers I've worked with, I've noted a small trend...you college
      folks are awfully busy and hard to reach - plus you move about
      alot...therefore, I'm asking that anyone who would like to be on the
      *organizing committee*, that is, to head a committee, of ALC 2003 be
      over 21 years of age. It's agism - pure and simple. I need folks who
      won't flake out on me and my staff and leave us lurching about to
      cover for you.

      IF you are under 21 and REALLY want to help, write one of the folks
      below and offer assistance to them on their committees - we do want
      your help, really!

      If you are interested in helping us out, contact the relevant people
      and offer your undying devotion. :-)

      Here's what we have:

      Entertainment: cheebs! is our entertainment chair and she's great,
      having seen first hand how easy it is to go wrong. :-)
      chkamen@...

      Artist's Liason: Kathryn Williams, duh. :-) Could *anyone* else do
      this? neko_haruka@...

      Fundraising: Pattie and myself, because we simply don't trust anyone
      else and I've got a ton of experience, sadly.
      anilesbocon01@...

      Advertising: Me again. If someone wants to co-chair the PR committee
      with me, I'd love the help! anilesbocon01@...

      ***
      Here's what we need right now: Email me at anilesbocon01@...
      with offers of assistance.

      Hotel Liason/Researcher - Any experience in booking hotel space a huge
      help.

      Guest Liason - We have some leads, you'll need to be able to follow up
      with them and contact possible guests

      Dealer's Liason - We have got a load of leads...we need someone to
      pursue them. (This person will be working on sponsorships and manga
      ads too.)

      ***

      Folks we'll need down the road:

      Security Chief

      Volunteer Coordinator

      Registration

      Programming

      If these are commitees that interest you, hang about - we'll be
      looking for them sometime next summer. Watch the website for
      announcements.

      Here's my vision - the world's first con where everyone has a chance
      to be involved in some way - this way it's really *your* con.

      ***

      And last, but not at all least, I want to mention our very next
      (indeed, imminent) project deadline. "Yuri Monogatari" our original
      yuri/shoujoai manga is accepting submissions until January 31, 2002.
      So you have a little more than a month to send those babies in!

      I'll be making what is called a "rate card" for advertising in
      YM...rates will be very reasonable, trust me. If you have a fave comic
      store or manga shop, or GLBT store, or club, we'd LOVE to have them
      advertise with us! Even cash-strapped stores should find our
      advertising rates affordable. Plus we guarantee a relevant audience.
      If you think you'd like to help us out by selling an ad, email us at
      anilesbocon01@... with the subject line: Rate Card

      You'll be able to print it out and bring it with you. Any support you
      can give us is greatly appreciated.

      ***

      One more thing...a note to my Staff: cheebs!, Stacy, Kun, Sparkle,
      Philip, Charlene, Kat, Sarahmonster - thank you all for everything.
      Your efforts have been many and your rewards few, so let me once again
      say thank you and offer my great appreciation and affection for your
      support of ALC.

      Last note - to Pattie. I can't tell you often enough, but I could not
      have done any of this without you. I love you.

      And that's about it. For the moment. Let me thank all of you for your
      interest and support for ALC/Yuricon, and offer my wish that 2002 blow
      us ALL out of the water!

      Founder/Webmistress/Dosgbody/sick puppy <sneeze>
    • eleloi
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
        --- In Yuricon@y..., "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:

        > Here's my vision - the world's first con where everyone has a chance
        > to be involved in some way - this way it's really *your* con.

        Someday... someday there will be a Western Con. And then those of us
        stuck out west can be involved. Until then... I have some doubles of
        manga. I know where to get manga (two Kinokuniya stores within 20
        miles). I'm not adverse to accidentally getting manga not on my list.
        I just have to learn to use the post office.

        --Lel
      • Kathryn Williams
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
          *blinks* there was more... I've really got to spot reading email just before
          running out of the house >^_^<

          > Artist's Liason: Kathryn Williams, duh. :-) Could *anyone* else do
          > this? neko_haruka@...

          >^_^< I'll do my best.... What am I supposed to do anyways *blink*

          *snip*

          > One more thing...a note to my Staff: cheebs!, Stacy, Kun, Sparkle,
          > Philip, Charlene, Kat, Sarahmonster - thank you all for everything.
          > Your efforts have been many and your rewards few, so let me once again
          > say thank you and offer my great appreciation and affection for your
          > support of ALC.

          Welcome... and I'm glad to be of help. Just having ALC this past while has
          been more then enough for me. I'm just happy to be apart of this all >^_^<

          > Erica
          > Founder/Webmistress/Dosgbody/sick puppy <sneeze>

          Get better soon...

          ja

          Kat >^_^<
        • Menagi Starnigh
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001

            >From: "atheniag"

            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Yuricon] Yuricon 2002 events/site/plans/notes (ok, it's long)
            >Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:40:00 -0000
            >
            >1) ebay auctions - It's become traditional for cons to run fundraising
            >through this non-intrusive method. First Lady Pattie has said that she
            >will take on the job of organizing and arranging any ebay auctions.
            >What we need from you is good stuff to auction! We have stuff we pick
            >up here and there, good strong chicks with weapons stuff, or yuri
            >manga and the like - but we need more! Got a doujin you don't read
            >much? Or a Japanese manga you can't translate? Art or toys you've
            >grown out of, etc? We'll be glad to take that pesky stuff off your
            >hands and turn it into financial support for ALC.

            Erica-kun, if you would E-mail me privately with the address you would like such "goodies" sent to, I will gather together a box and ship it to you.  It's time for some house-cleaning anyway, so I *should* be able to put together a fairly large (no joke) package of stuff to sell.

            If you want a *REALLY* large box of stuff to sell--I have a bunch of (NRFB) X-Men (chicks with weapons!!) figurines I need to get rid of as well.  I was going to sell all this crap myself on E-bay for extra cash ....   but Yuricon is a good cause.  ^_^

            You're not getting my Uranus plushie, however.  *growls*  Its MINE damn it MINE!

            Jya matta ne!
            Menagi-chan

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
              >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

              > > Artist's Liason: Kathryn Williams, duh. :-) Could *anyone* else do
              > > this? neko_haruka@...
              >
              > >^_^< I'll do my best.... What am I supposed to do anyways *blink*

              What you already do - keep in touch with artists of note and get their asses
              to ALC when it happens. :-)

              AniLesboCon 2001 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
              http://anilesbocon.shoujoai.com/

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
                >From: "Menagi Starnigh" <Menagi_chan@...>

                I'll email you right away - many thanks.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
                  > > > Artist's Liason: Kathryn Williams, duh. :-) Could *anyone* else do
                  > > > this? neko_haruka@...
                  > >
                  > > >^_^< I'll do my best.... What am I supposed to do anyways *blink*
                  >
                  > What you already do - keep in touch with artists of note and get their
                  asses
                  > to ALC when it happens. :-)

                  ahhhh... I see... Okay then that is easy then LOL... *note to self contact
                  artist friends to remind them ALC is offically under way and kick them a few
                  times in the butt to get them going.... blushes* There is no way I'm kicking
                  Tomoko-kun in the butt... na ah *shakes head*

                  ja

                  Kat
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 28, 2001
                    >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                    >ahhhh... I see... Okay then that is easy then LOL... *note to self contact
                    >artist friends to remind them ALC is offically under way and kick them a
                    >few
                    >times in the butt to get them going.... blushes* There is no way I'm
                    >kicking
                    >Tomoko-kun in the butt... na ah *shakes head*

                    I bet we'd have a line-up of people willing to kick her in the butt! LOL
                    She had a nice one, if i recall correctly. :-)

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                      --- In Yuricon@y..., "eleloi" <eleloi@y...> wrote:

                      > Until then... I have some doubles of manga.

                      I have:
                      Boku No Chikyou o Mamotte #7 (Japanese)
                      Ranma 1/2 #30 (Japanese)
                      Sailormoon #6, 7 and 8 (English)
                      Sailormoon StarS #1 (Englsih)

                      Any ideas where I can unload them?

                      I'm cursed with a bad memory when I walk into a Japanese bookstore. I
                      can't remember what number I'm up to on my collections. So I
                      end up with duplicates. Grrr...

                      --Lel
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                        >1) ebay auctions - It's become traditional for cons to run fundraising
                        >through this non-intrusive method. First Lady Pattie has said that she
                        >will take on the job of organizing and arranging any ebay auctions.
                        >What we need from you is good stuff to auction!

                        Chirality Book One (English version)

                        I'm thinking of getting the whole series in Japanese.

                        Would Patlabor qualify for chicks with weapons? Noa is pretty much a giant
                        robot otaku.... I have all twelve issues of the English version. Another
                        series I'm planning to get in Japanese (I already have wide edition vol. 4).

                        __________________________________
                        www.edsamail.com
                      • Kathryn Williams
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                          > >ahhhh... I see... Okay then that is easy then LOL... *note to self
                          contact
                          > >artist friends to remind them ALC is offically under way and kick them a
                          > >few
                          > >times in the butt to get them going.... blushes* There is no way I'm
                          > >kicking
                          > >Tomoko-kun in the butt... na ah *shakes head*
                          >
                          > I bet we'd have a line-up of people willing to kick her in the butt! LOL
                          > She had a nice one, if i recall correctly. :-)

                          *blinks* will I have to play the part of her bodyguard if she shows up?
                          >^_^<

                          Oh should I add Scott McNeil to the kicking list? He is proudly supporting
                          our efforts and insists he is a Les in disguise, but after seeing some of
                          the photos of him and Steve Bennte in each others arms makes me think other
                          wish LOL... those two are nuts, but great fun to hang around.

                          ja

                          Kat
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                            >From: "Johann Chua" <fuuma@...>

                            >Chirality Book One (English version)

                            Oh, excellent!

                            >I'm thinking of getting the whole series in Japanese.

                            If I could find it, I'd scoop it up in a second.

                            >Would Patlabor qualify for chicks with weapons?

                            Works for me. You know, stuff doesn't have to be thematic - we're not proud.
                            I'll be auctioning off some random yaoi I have floating around and general
                            stuff too.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                              >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                              >Oh should I add Scott McNeil to the kicking list? He is proudly supporting
                              >our efforts and insists he is a Les in disguise, but after seeing some of
                              >the photos of him and Steve Bennte in each others arms makes me think other
                              >wish LOL... those two are nuts, but great fun to hang around.

                              My opinion on that has to be - he can certainly show up, but as an attendee
                              not as a guest. He's got nothing related to us, other than that he's nice
                              and we know him.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:

                                > Oh should I add Scott McNeil to the kicking list? He is proudly
                                supporting
                                > our efforts and insists he is a Les in disguise, but after seeing
                                some of
                                > the photos of him and Steve Bennte in each others arms makes me
                                think other
                                > wish LOL... those two are nuts, but great fun to hang around.

                                I agree about Scott McNeil... He also wrote "Understanding Comics" and
                                could be a valuable asset to would-be manga writers.

                                --Lel
                              • Kathryn Williams
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                  > I agree about Scott McNeil... He also wrote "Understanding Comics" and
                                  > could be a valuable asset to would-be manga writers.

                                  *blinks* the the whole time I've been talking with Scott he never mentioned
                                  this... I think I'm going to have to give him a smak. As for coming to ALC I
                                  don't think he was interested in being a guest.. more like a shadowy
                                  supporter. The idea of going to a con where he won't get mobbed by hordes of
                                  fan girls and actually just talek about Anime with a group of intelctual
                                  Lesbians sounds like fun to him... *shurgs* I'll tell him he is welcome
                                  >^_^<

                                  ja

                                  Kat
                                • eleloi
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                    --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:

                                    > *blinks* the the whole time I've been talking with Scott he never
                                    mentioned
                                    > this... I think I'm going to have to give him a smak. As for coming
                                    to ALC I
                                    > don't think he was interested in being a guest.. more like a shadowy
                                    > supporter. The idea of going to a con where he won't get mobbed by
                                    hordes of
                                    > fan girls and actually just talek about Anime with a group of
                                    intelctual
                                    > Lesbians sounds like fun to him... *shurgs* I'll tell him he is
                                    welcome
                                    > >^_^<

                                    Oops... wrong Mc... Mistaken Identity. Bad me...

                                    --Lel, feverish and a little off.
                                  • Steven Perez
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                      On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, eleloi wrote:
                                      [...edit...]
                                      > I agree about Scott McNeil... He also wrote "Understanding Comics" and
                                      > could be a valuable asset to would-be manga writers.

                                      *Steve, the Zot! fan, steps out of a sorta lurkerdom*

                                      That's Scott McCloud, Eleloi-san. ^_^

                                      Steven Perez AKA Sabre Kamen and Bishounen Hunter S @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,-'-,
                                      Lover of Males and Females, and quite Kinky to boot! :D @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,
                                      N.O.V.A - Northern Oregon/Vancouver Anime stp@...
                                    • Kathryn Williams
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                        > Oops... wrong Mc... Mistaken Identity. Bad me...

                                        Mc Neil is the English voice of Duo Maxwell and other such things. We were
                                        trading Fan girls during Ani-magic (I steal his, he steals mine... great fun
                                        >^_^<) You know we really have to get Erica-kun involved then we can have a
                                        strange game of beach volley ball... *blinks* where'd that one come
                                        from...*shakes head of the image* Well now you know who Scott is (and that
                                        I'm een more of a nut then first appeared) I'm back off to work before say
                                        anything more I'm going to regret.

                                        ja

                                        > --Lel, feverish and a little off.

                                        Write a story I hear some of the best a writen while in that kind of
                                        state... Hell it worked for the LAIN Writer...

                                        Kat (the eternaly insane one)
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                          >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                                          > > I agree about Scott McNeil... He also wrote "Understanding Comics" and
                                          > > could be a valuable asset to would-be manga writers.

                                          And he's perfectly welcome to come, to run a panel, etc...

                                          >*blinks* the the whole time I've been talking with Scott he never mentioned
                                          >this... I think I'm going to have to give him a smak. As for coming to ALC
                                          >don't think he was interested in being a guest.. more like a shadowy
                                          >supporter. The idea of going to a con where he won't get mobbed by hordes
                                          >of
                                          >fan girls and actually just talek about Anime with a group of intelctual
                                          >Lesbians sounds like fun to him... *shurgs* I'll tell him he is welcome

                                          He is more than welcome...I assumed you meant as a guest, otherwise, why
                                          ask? Anyone is welcome to just attend, silly! LOL

                                          AniLesboCon 2001 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
                                          http://anilesbocon.shoujoai.com/

                                        • Alex Picchetti
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 29, 2001
                                            >Would Patlabor qualify for chicks with weapons?

                                            <<Works for me. You know, stuff doesn't have to be thematic - we're not proud.
                                            I'll be auctioning off some random yaoi I have floating around and general
                                            stuff too.>>

                                            *lol* Dangit... Alright, now excuse me while I go find my friends with credit cards... "Buy me THAT!"
                                            "But Alex, Christmas is over!"
                                            "Early birthday present?"
                                            "*eight* *months* early?"
                                            "Yes?"
                                            -_-

                                            -Alex (who can't figure out what spell type Flame Star is... it sounds like it should be fire... but, as far as I can tell, it isn't! Grrr...)
                                          • Trixterpriest@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 30, 2001
                                              *wipes tear from her eye*

                                              It's all so...beautiful... =^.^=

                                              *does a little Yuricon dance*

                                              You know, of course, that you have my undying devotion and any skills I can lend!

                                              Kun
                                              ---'-,-{@
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 30, 2001
                                                >From: Trixterpriest@...

                                                >You know, of course, that you have my undying devotion and any skills I can
                                                >lend!

                                                Good, because you're probably the de facto Programming Chair. LOL

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 30, 2001
                                                  --- In Yuricon@y..., Steven Perez <stp@a...> wrote:

                                                  > That's Scott McCloud, Eleloi-san. ^_^

                                                  I agree... that's why I retracted that statement in message #2364 ^-^

                                                  --Lel
                                                • Steven Perez
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 31, 2001
                                                    On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, eleloi wrote:
                                                    > --- In Yuricon@y..., Steven Perez <stp@a...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > That's Scott McCloud, Eleloi-san. ^_^
                                                    >
                                                    > I agree... that's why I retracted that statement in message #2364 ^-^

                                                    Yeah, I saw that after I sent my reply. ^^;

                                                    So, this is totally OT but, have you any of 'Zot!'?

                                                    Steven Perez AKA Sabre Kamen and Bishounen Hunter S @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,-'-,
                                                    Lover of Males and Females, and quite Kinky to boot! :D @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,
                                                    N.O.V.A - Northern Oregon/Vancouver Anime stp@...
                                                  • Althea K.
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 2, 2002
                                                      >From: Steven Perez <stp@...>
                                                      >To: <Yuricon@yahoogroups.com>
                                                      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Yuricon 2002 events/site/plans/notes (ok, it's
                                                      >long)
                                                      >Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:03:20 -0800 (PST)
                                                      >

                                                      > So, this is totally OT but, have you any of 'Zot!'?

                                                      I've seen what's posted online, but I haven't been able to find the
                                                      collections yet and it originally came out long before I knew Scott McCloud
                                                      existed.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 3, 2002
                                                        > >You know, of course, that you have my undying devotion and any skills I can
                                                        > >lend!
                                                        >
                                                        > Good, because you're probably the de facto Programming Chair. LOL

                                                        So...what *exactly* does a Programming Chair do? ;p

                                                        Kun
                                                        ----'-,-{@
                                                        *does a little chair dance* ;)
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 3, 2002
                                                          >From: Trixterpriest@...

                                                          >So...what *exactly* does a Programming Chair do? ;p

                                                          Decide which videos will be shown, obtain them, schedule them, and show
                                                          them. Then take the flak for not showing this person's favorite, or showing
                                                          too much of something else. You know, the usual. *g*

                                                          You know, I've met alot of Programming Chairs who never asked that question
                                                          and had no IDEA what they were supposed to be doing! LOL

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 3, 2002
                                                            > >So...what *exactly* does a Programming Chair do? ;p
                                                            >
                                                            > Decide which videos will be shown, obtain them, schedule them, and show
                                                            > them. Then take the flak for not showing this person's favorite, or showing
                                                            > too much of something else. You know, the usual. *g*

                                                            Eeek...best get started now...that's at least four video rooms or more with at least two of those being 24 hours.... I need a year just to plan that! ;p

                                                            And come up with excuses for the complainers ;)

                                                            > You know, I've met alot of Programming Chairs who never asked that question
                                                            > and had no IDEA what they were supposed to be doing! LOL

                                                            Sounds like most peole to me, no matter what the job ;p

                                                            Kun
                                                            ---'-,-{@

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 3, 2002
                                                              >From: Trixterpriest@...
                                                              >Eeek...best get started now...that's at least four video rooms or more with
                                                              >at least two of those being 24 hours.... I need a year just to plan that!
                                                              >;p

                                                              LOL I think it'll probably be more like 2 rooms, one of which will be 24h. I
                                                              don't see us starting the con with 1000 people.

                                                              >And come up with excuses for the complainers ;)

                                                              That you should start on right away.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 3, 2002
                                                                > >From: Trixterpriest@...
                                                                > >Eeek...best get started now...that's at least four video rooms or more with
                                                                > >at least two of those being 24 hours.... I need a year just to plan that!
                                                                > >;p
                                                                >
                                                                > LOL I think it'll probably be more like 2 rooms, one of which will be 24h. I
                                                                > don't see us starting the con with 1000 people.

                                                                Well it's not so much about quantity but it's all about variety...got to give the people that show a good selection ;p Maybe we can compromise and do three rooms...=^.^=

                                                                > >And come up with excuses for the complainers ;)
                                                                >
                                                                > That you should start on right away.

                                                                Hai Hai!

                                                                Kun