Re: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review

  • Iain Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      Erica Friedman wrote:

      > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
      > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
      > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
      > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
      >
      > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)

      Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
      (even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
      isn't one I'd take seriously.

      --
      A fearless squirrel chittered a margarita, while I was incensed.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2007
        >From: Iain Brown <iain@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review
        >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:52:33 -0500
        >
        >Erica Friedman wrote:
        >
        > > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
        > > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
        > > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
        > > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
        > >
        > > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)
        >
        >Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
        >(even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
        >isn't one I'd take seriously.

        I agree that it's an unfortunate comparison, especially as the review of Aoi
        hana is otherwise quite good. I replied to the review on the forum, not that
        anyone there can tell the difference between Strawberry Panic and a hole in
        the wall. But I did want it to be said that the comparison should be if you
        like Marimite, you'll like Aoi Hana, or vice versa, and to point out that
        Strawberry Panic is a parody of said series, and not at all in the same
        class.

      • Mo-nique Tarafa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2007
          I realise this has been stated twice over, but seeing
          MariMite and Strawberry Panic in the same sentence
          made my face tic in a quite uncomfortable and rather
          ugly fashion.
          Oh well.

          Huzzah for Aoi Hana!

          Mo.