RE: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 12:34 PM
      >From: "Eric" <pachy_boy@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review
      >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:46:09 -0000
      >
      > Anime News Network does a column on manga reviews, and they would
      >have an Import Title of the Month, and they just acknowledged 'Aoi
      >Hana'. Here are some good lines from the review:
      >
      >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
      >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
      >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
      >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.

      Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)

      Good on ANN - only just over a year since I reviewed Aoi Hana. They are
      speeding up. :-)

    • Iain Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 2:52 PM
        Erica Friedman wrote:

        > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
        > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
        > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
        > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
        >
        > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)

        Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
        (even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
        isn't one I'd take seriously.

        --
        A fearless squirrel chittered a margarita, while I was incensed.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 4:09 PM
          >From: Iain Brown <iain@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review
          >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:52:33 -0500
          >
          >Erica Friedman wrote:
          >
          > > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
          > > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
          > > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
          > > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
          > >
          > > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)
          >
          >Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
          >(even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
          >isn't one I'd take seriously.

          I agree that it's an unfortunate comparison, especially as the review of Aoi
          hana is otherwise quite good. I replied to the review on the forum, not that
          anyone there can tell the difference between Strawberry Panic and a hole in
          the wall. But I did want it to be said that the comparison should be if you
          like Marimite, you'll like Aoi Hana, or vice versa, and to point out that
          Strawberry Panic is a parody of said series, and not at all in the same
          class.

        • Mo-nique Tarafa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3 8:37 AM
            I realise this has been stated twice over, but seeing
            MariMite and Strawberry Panic in the same sentence
            made my face tic in a quite uncomfortable and rather
            ugly fashion.
            Oh well.

            Huzzah for Aoi Hana!

            Mo.