ANN 'Aoi Hana' review

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      Anime News Network does a column on manga reviews, and they would
      have an Import Title of the Month, and they just acknowledged 'Aoi
      Hana'. Here are some good lines from the review:

      "If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
      that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
      poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
      like trashy dime-store romance by comparison. There is a graceful
      rhythm to just about every aspect of the story: the way the
      characters are introduced, how their emotions develop over time, and
      the complications between Fumi and Akira as a love polygon grows
      between them and their friends."

      "Takako Shimura must be some kind of genius, too, to make it all work
      with her economical art¬óclean layouts, sparse backgrounds, and
      everything that needs to be said contained within a single facial
      expression."

      "This is the kind of romance that can be appreciated by anyone,
      regardless of gender or orientation; if you want the last word on
      heartache and unrequited love, Aoi Hana has it."

      --Pachy_Boy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2007
        >From: "Eric" <pachy_boy@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review
        >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:46:09 -0000
        >
        > Anime News Network does a column on manga reviews, and they would
        >have an Import Title of the Month, and they just acknowledged 'Aoi
        >Hana'. Here are some good lines from the review:
        >
        >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
        >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
        >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
        >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.

        Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)

        Good on ANN - only just over a year since I reviewed Aoi Hana. They are
        speeding up. :-)

      • Iain Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2007
          Erica Friedman wrote:

          > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
          > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
          > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
          > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
          >
          > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)

          Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
          (even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
          isn't one I'd take seriously.

          --
          A fearless squirrel chittered a margarita, while I was incensed.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2007
            >From: Iain Brown <iain@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] ANN 'Aoi Hana' review
            >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:52:33 -0500
            >
            >Erica Friedman wrote:
            >
            > > >"If you do not love Aoi Hana, you do not love yuri, period. Simple as
            > > >that. This schoolgirl story is the best of its genre, so subtle and
            > > >poignant that it makes stuff like MariMite and Strawberry Panic! look
            > > >like trashy dime-store romance by comparison.
            > >
            > > Clearly they only know of Marimite from the anime. :-)
            >
            >Even so, any review that a) claims Marimite is a dime-store romance
            >(even by comparison) and b) lumps Marimite and Strawberry Panic together
            >isn't one I'd take seriously.

            I agree that it's an unfortunate comparison, especially as the review of Aoi
            hana is otherwise quite good. I replied to the review on the forum, not that
            anyone there can tell the difference between Strawberry Panic and a hole in
            the wall. But I did want it to be said that the comparison should be if you
            like Marimite, you'll like Aoi Hana, or vice versa, and to point out that
            Strawberry Panic is a parody of said series, and not at all in the same
            class.

          • Mo-nique Tarafa
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2007
              I realise this has been stated twice over, but seeing
              MariMite and Strawberry Panic in the same sentence
              made my face tic in a quite uncomfortable and rather
              ugly fashion.
              Oh well.

              Huzzah for Aoi Hana!

              Mo.