RE: [Yuricon] OT Review: Ariel Schrag

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      From: "Jen" <puni@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] OT Review: Ariel Schrag
      >Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 13:32:37 -0000
      >
      >Just finished Ariel Schrag's DEFINITION, and the sequel POTENTIAL.
      >
      >That brings me to my problem with most "comix", that being they're not
      >fiction. Fictional yuri stories *can* be created with in-depth
      >characters and a story structure with a satisfying ending. With real
      >life you get recurring awkward experiences with real people possessing
      >frustrating/unexplainable behaviours that just leave you unsatisfied.

      This is a very interesting comment, because, as you know, yesterday on Okazu
      I reviewed "Honey & Honey" which the author refers to as a "comic essay."

      It's also biographical in nature, and a little preachy, but overall cute.

      But I think that what you're talking about, "comix" and Takeuchi's "Comic
      essay" are pretty much the same thing (I'd also put Alison Bechdel's "Fun
      Home" in the same general category) - a non-fiction graphical essay/story.

      Perhaps it's time to adopt the term "comic essay" to differentiate stories
      like these, that are meant to be read and understood to be non-fiction
      essays. And I have to agree -I find that most "comix" do fall into this
      category. They aren't "stories" so much as they are "diaries."

      In any case...can I use your post for a review on Okazu? I think people
      might be interested! You've read stuff there often enough. I'd love for this
      to be a guest review. :-)

      $771/month*
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        >From: "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...>
        >To: <Yuricon@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [Yuricon] OT Review: Ariel Schrag
        >Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:59:08 -0500
        >
        >Ahh, autobiography!
        >
        >I was doing comics myself, when younger; but stopped after my sister looked
        >at them, and named all the people I thought I'd fictionalized. Pity,
        >really,
        >but I'd learned early-on that holding on to my secrets was much safer than
        >openness. It's different now as I'm older, and away from most external
        >control.

        It's a terrible temptation to work out issues with people by proxy. An
        understandable urge, but rarely successful, as you pointed out.

        There's a side plot in the TV show NCIS right now, where McGee's popular
        "fiction" novel is irking the crap out of everyone who was very thinly
        fictionalized. I think that's about right. :-)

        A *large* majority of people begin writing with self-inserts. I was reading
        an article in Smithsonian about some author who gleefully mentioned that her
        first novel was (as I saw it) nothing more than a thinly fictionalized
        self-insert that included people who would immediately recognize themselves.
        There's a certain amount of "writing what you know" involved, a fair modicum
        of self-interest and self-absorption and a large amount of role-playing.
        Most of the teens I know who write and draw start with thinly fictionalized
        stuff. It's who and what they know.

        I've put exactly five real people into the sum and total of my fiction and
        fanfiction over the years. Only one of those people was presented complete
        as is, with not a single thing changed. And I told her about it. :-) She
        worked beautifully for the story, because no one would believe she was real
        anyway, unless you met her. lol Two of the real people were mentioned by
        reference, not actually in the story. And only once have I ever written
        anything remotely autobiographical. But I didn't start writing until my late
        30's - long past any need to work out any issues. And to be honest, I'm not
        sure that I, or my family, would make good copy. We're all really averagely
        dysunctional. :-)

        Hungry for Yuri? have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com

      • Ellen Kuhfeld
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Now as I'm older, I don't use that many real people. I did one roman a clef where I raked somebody over the coals, and it was -- satisfying, to say the least. And once, a friend was exactly the person for a character, so I used hir. (And told hir.) I do self-inserts now and then, as very minor characters - it's fun, and keeps me from the temptation of being a major character.

          On the other hand, some writers use real people all the time. Monica Ferris is a good example. (http://monica-ferris.com). One of her murderers asked for the role. "I'm tired of [my kind] being the victim," she said.

          Ellen Rose

          >I was doing comics myself, when younger; but stopped after my sister looked
          >at them, and named all the people I thought I'd fictionalized. Pity,
          >really,
          >but I'd learned early-on that holding on to my secrets was much safer than
          >openness. It's different now as I'm older, and away from most external
          >control.

          It's a terrible temptation to work out issues with people by proxy. An
          understandable urge, but rarely successful, as you pointed out.

          There's a side plot in the TV show NCIS right now, where McGee's popular
          "fiction" novel is irking the crap out of everyone who was very thinly
          fictionalized. I think that's about right. :-)

          A *large* majority of people begin writing with self-inserts. I was reading
          an article in Smithsonian about some author who gleefully mentioned that her
          first novel was (as I saw it) nothing more than a thinly fictionalized
          self-insert that included people who would immediately recognize themselves.
          There's a certain amount of "writing what you know" involved, a fair modicum
          of self-interest and self-absorption and a large amount of role-playing.
          Most of the teens I know who write and draw start with thinly fictionalized
          stuff. It's who and what they know.

          I've put exactly five real people into the sum and total of my fiction and
          fanfiction over the years. Only one of those people was presented complete
          as is, with not a single thing changed. And I told her about it. :-) She
          worked beautifully for the story, because no one would believe she was real
          anyway, unless you met her. lol Two of the real people were mentioned by
          reference, not actually in the story. And only once have I ever written
          anything remotely autobiographical. But I didn't start writing until my late
          30's - long past any need to work out any issues. And to be honest, I'm not
          sure that I, or my family, would make good copy. We're all really averagely
          dysunctional. :-)

          Hungry for Yuri? have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

          http://maps. live.com/ default.aspx? ss=Restaurants~ Hotels~Amusement %20Park&cp= 33.832922~ -117.915659& style=r&lvl= 13&tilt=- 90&dir=0& alt=-1000& scene=1118863& encType=1& FORM=MGAC01

        • Jen
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2007
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

            > "...can I use your post for a review on Okazu?"

            No problemo, although now I kinda regret not going back through both
            books and listing all the things I liked. Oh well, rants are always
            better left untouched. ^__^

            If you'd like any more of my ramblings, just let me know. ( ex.
            http://tinyurl.com/22gcl7 ).

            Kisses XXOOXX
            Jen
          • Jen
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

              > "Oh well, rants are always better left untouched."

              And to instantly contradict that (done smoothly and with style), feel
              free to replace "emphasize" with "Empathize."

              Don't know how I missed that.

              Kisses XXOOXX
              Jen
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@> wrote:
                > >
                > > "...can I use your post for a review on Okazu?"
                >
                > No problemo, although now I kinda regret not going back through both
                > books and listing all the things I liked. Oh well, rants are always
                > better left untouched. ^__^

                You know - feel free to rewrite it. It's a *review*, not a class
                assignment. lol

                When you've added in the stuff you liked, give it a ratings like I do
                on Okazu and send it to me at anilesbocon01@... Also - if you
                can scan in a pic of the cover...

                I won't get to it for a bit anyway - the pile of stuff on my table to
                be reviewed is disturbingly large and needs to be pared down
                considerably. I'm having trouble seeing past it.

                > If you'd like any more of my ramblings, just let me know. ( ex.
                > http://tinyurl.com/22gcl7 ).

                Will do!

                I especially liked this one, because it ties in so nicely with my Fun
                Home/12 Days and Honey & Honey reviews.

              • Jen
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2007

                  > "...the pile of stuff on my table to be reviewed is disturbingly
                  large and needs to be pared down considerably. I'm having trouble
                  seeing past it."

                  Wooo, flashback to the original ROD OVA series, specifically Yomiko's
                  apartment. Ah, those were the days...

                  GAH! Cursed nostalgia. Now I have to watch the *WHOLE* OVA & TV
                  series again.

                  Digressment. Love it. Fear it.

                  Kisses XXOOXX
                  Jen