Re: [Yuricon] Re: Bee Train Attempts Subtlety

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
      On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:55:59 -0500
      Iain Brown <iain@...> wrote:

      > > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:44:54 +0100
      > > Adam Jones <adam@...
      > > <mailto:adam%40yggdrasl.demon.co.uk>> wrote:

      > > http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8136/vlcsnap1320421ln6.jpg
      >
      > I thought that was a nice touch. Like the inverted BEE TRAIN in the
      > Paris shop window, or the movie theater in FF7 showing Loveless.

      I spotted Noir and Madlax references in that frame. Makes me wonder if
      there are .hack and/or Avenger ones I'm missing (not having watched
      either).

      > The rest of the episode - hell, the entire series so far - seems more
      > like a Bee Train parody of Noir and Madlax than anything to take
      > seriously. And Hayward's narration had me thinking "if you're going
      > to *tell* us all this, just tell us the ending so we can skip the
      > next 22 episodes."

      Definitely. Episode 4 was pretty amusing, though - Nadie's turning out
      to be a fun character to have around.

      > I'm not going to get into my gripes with the fansub group. Suffice it
      > to say we did not review that font.

      Heh. Whoever picked it has obviously never tried watching subs on an
      actual (SD)TV set...
      .oO("No, that's entopry." )
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007

        > I spotted Noir and Madlax references in that frame. Makes me wonder if
        > there are .hack and/or Avenger ones I'm missing (not having watched
        > either).

        None that I've seen, but I think it would have to be as obvious as the
        hotel Noir for me to notice.

        > Definitely. Episode 4 was pretty amusing, though - Nadie's turning out
        > to be a fun character to have around.

        And I quite like Ellis' autistic alien act. ;-) It suits her.

        I don't think we'll be getting any yuri love-love from thosee too, not
        unless Ellis changes personality. But there's always Jody "Blue Eyes"
        Hayward and well, hell, anyone. :-) At home, she wears a t-shirt that
        says "No one knows I'm a librarian." I'm absolutely sure of it.

      • Adam Jones
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          On 01-May-2007 12:38 -0000, atheniag wrote:
          > And I quite like Ellis' autistic alien act. ;-) It suits her.

          I loved the fork gag - a cute joke and a shout-out rolled into one.

          > I don't think we'll be getting any yuri love-love from thosee too, not
          > unless Ellis changes personality.

          True. Then again, given how spaced-out she seems to be at present,
          it'd seem like exploitation bordering on molestation to pair Ellis with
          anyone. Except the lizard.

          > But there's always Jody "Blue Eyes" Hayward and well, hell, anyone. :-)

          Of course, every single doujinshi published about this show will,
          instead, feature Lilio in any number of disturbing circumstances.

          Ms Hayward is clearly aiming for the "Miss Exposition 2007" prize. But
          hey, maybe Nadie considers narration to be a turn-on. We can but hope.
          .oO("And if cheese were a kite could you fly it?" )
        • Iain Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            atheniag wrote:

            > I don't think we'll be getting any yuri love-love from thosee too, not
            > unless Ellis changes personality. But there's always Jody "Blue Eyes"
            > Hayward and well, hell, anyone. :-) At home, she wears a t-shirt that
            > says "No one knows I'm a librarian." I'm absolutely sure of it.

            Even though Kirika was clearly younger than Mireille, she was never
            presented as childish. There was a tension between the two - not
            necessarily sexual, but tension nonetheless - from the beginning. Madlax
            just had several interesting women introduced early on.

            Ellis acts like a kid, and Nadie referred to her as a child. I don't see
            anything there. She'll change, but I can't see the protector / child
            relationship going in that direction. Hayward, maybe. If she goes into
            the field instead of playing local power games with Rosenberg. Jody /
            Nadie, once the latter realizes she needs to protect Ellis from the
            former - that might be interesting.

            On an entirely unrelated subject, my gast was suitably flabbered when I
            discovered that the Evil Psychotic Librarian voiced Mokey Fraggle in the
            Japanese dub of Fraggle Rock. Mokey as an EPL... I can almost see it.

            --
            A fearless squirrel chittered a margarita, while I was incensed.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2007
              >From: Iain Brown <iain@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Bee Train Attempts Subtlety
              >Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 08:48:20 -0500
              >

              >Even though Kirika was clearly younger than Mireille, she was never
              >presented as childish. There was a tension between the two - not
              >necessarily sexual, but tension nonetheless - from the beginning. Madlax
              >just had several interesting women introduced early on.

              And most of them a little older than usual.

              >Ellis acts like a kid, and Nadie referred to her as a child. I don't see
              >anything there. She'll change, but I can't see the protector / child
              >relationship going in that direction. Hayward, maybe. If she goes into
              >the field instead of playing local power games with Rosenberg. Jody /
              >Nadie, once the latter realizes she needs to protect Ellis from the
              >former - that might be interesting.

              Yeah, and we can hope.

              >On an entirely unrelated subject, my gast was suitably flabbered when I
              >discovered that the Evil Psychotic Librarian voiced Mokey Fraggle in the
              >Japanese dub of Fraggle Rock. Mokey as an EPL... I can almost see it.

              Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I have never seen a single second of
              Fraggle Rock. But if HA voiced it, I like it already. :-)

              $771/month*
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Bee Train Attempts Subtlety
                >Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:52:06 +0100
                >
                >On 01-May-2007 12:38 -0000, atheniag wrote:
                > > And I quite like Ellis' autistic alien act. ;-) It suits her.
                >
                >I loved the fork gag - a cute joke and a shout-out rolled into one.

                Nadie seems unflappable, doesn't she?

                > > But there's always Jody "Blue Eyes" Hayward and well, hell, anyone. :-)
                >
                >Of course, every single doujinshi published about this show will,
                >instead, feature Lilio in any number of disturbing circumstances.

                Thanks for the reminder.

                >Ms Hayward is clearly aiming for the "Miss Exposition 2007" prize. But
                >hey, maybe Nadie considers narration to be a turn-on. We can but hope.

                LOL

                And btw, I notice another difference in this anime from Madlax and Noir - no
                driving fighting musical theme. I'm listening to "Nowhere" from Madlax right
                now - and who can forget "Salve Nos" from Noir"? El Cazador lacks that
                distinct musical theme.

                Maybe it's just going to be a lighter-hearted version of girls with guns on
                the run, which is okay. As long as Jody keeps being an EPL/L.

                Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate
                new payment
                http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888
              • Tim II
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                  --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                  > >On an entirely unrelated subject, my gast was
                  > suitably flabbered when I
                  > >discovered that the Evil Psychotic Librarian voiced
                  > Mokey Fraggle in the
                  > >Japanese dub of Fraggle Rock. Mokey as an EPL... I
                  > can almost see it.
                  >
                  > Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I have never seen
                  > a single second of
                  > Fraggle Rock. But if HA voiced it, I like it
                  > already. :-)

                  How is that possible?

                  Great, now I want to watch it in Japanese and subbed
                  to find out how much sillier it got.

                  Sincer,

                  Tim II

                  http://mail.yahoo.com