Re: El Cazador and Nanoha StrikerS first looks

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain Brown <iain@...> wrote:

      > Erica Friedman wrote:
      >
      > > El Cazador has so many of the elements we have come to expect from
      Bee
      > > Train
      > > that it almost seems a parody of itself. :-) The OP is by savage
      genius
      > > (same group that did the OP for Simoun) and the EP is Fiction Junction
      > > YUUKA.
      >
      > Savage Genius did the ending theme for Simoun, "Inori no uta." The
      > opening was Chiaki Ishikawa. Savage Genius also did the opening for
      > Erementar Gerad (yeah, I watched it, 'cause the music was by Yuki
      > Kajiura, but the opening song was vastly better than the series).

      Quite right. My mistake.

      I watched EG, too, but because Ogata Megumi had a role. I stopped
      watching when she stopped having a role. :-)

      > > The setting is different from both Madlax and Noir - this time the
      American
      > > southwest or perhaps a Mexico-ish place. The characters look
      different, but
      > > again, they are similar - tough, competent, but slightly flaky
      gunwoman,
      > > cute, flaky younger woman with no memory of the past.
      >
      > That cliche is way beyond annoying now.

      LOL How can you *say* that? ;-)

      > Still, I'm looking forward to a sub...

      But of course.

    • Iain Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        atheniag wrote:

        > > > again, they are similar - tough, competent, but slightly flaky
        > gunwoman,
        > > > cute, flaky younger woman with no memory of the past.
        > >
        > > That cliche is way beyond annoying now.
        >
        > LOL How can you *say* that? ;-)

        I know, I know, it's sacrilege :)

        --
        A fearless squirrel chittered a margarita, while I was incensed.
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
          On Apr 3, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:

          > Got a chnace to watch both Nanoha StrikerS and El Cazador last
          > night. Had
          > some random thoughts - feel free to join in. :-)
          >
          > El Cazador has so many of the elements we have come to expect from
          > Bee Train
          > that it almost seems a parody of itself. :-) The OP is by savage
          > genius
          > (same group that did the OP for Simoun) and the EP is Fiction Junction
          > YUUKA. The credits have all the same elements as the Noir and Madlax
          > sequences did. It felt a bit like watching a James Bond flick when
          > Cubby
          > Broccoli was doing all the opening sequences. There was
          > a...uniformity...even though they are all different. Same here

          Yes, it's like greeting an old friend.

          > The setting is different from both Madlax and Noir - this time the
          > American
          > southwest or perhaps a Mexico-ish place.

          It's like BeeTrain decided to marathon El Mariachi, Desperado and
          Once Upon A Time in Mexico before they started working on this show.
          I swear they lifted that bar that "Lone Wolf and Cubbette" walk in to
          from Desperado. I kept expecting to see Cheech Marin make an appearance.

          > Last, but hardly least, the end credits give us annoying guy in a
          > mask. Oh,
          > and Adam - NOW we know where Friday Monday's little brother got to.
          > He's the
          > bad guy in this one. :-)
          Saturday Monday. :-D
          > I was a tad disappointed by the animation for the first episode.
          > The people
          > all look thin and featureless. But it does set off the highly detailed
          > backgrounds of sand and office doors nicely...

          They're saving their detailed work for the Marimite OVAs.

          > Last - Hisakawa Aya and Toyoguchi Megumi as severely dressed librarian
          > types. I totally approve.

          Mmmm. Grown women. Speaking of which. . .
          > Nanoha StrikerS - I thought that the original Nanoha was a
          > thoroughly meh
          > anime. The best part about it were the weapons Raging Heart and
          > Bardiche.
          > Nanoha A's was a pretty good story, with too many loli elements for my
          > taste. But it was still a darn good story with some excellent
          > characters and
          > concepts.

          I'd pretty much agree with this.

          > Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are grownups now and all in the armed
          > forces of the
          > Time-Space Administration Bureau.

          As expected there was a considerable cry from the lolicon/moe-tard
          crowd. I like that the characters have grown from series to series,
          and since most magical girl series end before, sometimes way before,
          the girls become adults I like that they're exploring this possibility.
          > I watched an incredibly low-res, poorly encoded raw of the first
          > ep, and I
          > still liked it. Other than the complete disregard for the second
          > law of
          > thermodynamics, it was good colorful fightin' fun. With rollerskates.

          That's where the Magical part comes in, undoubtedly.

          > I read a few of the first chapters of the manga running in Megami
          > magazine,
          > none of which had any oomph, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that
          > the
          > anime has something like a decent plot. But in anycase - shiny
          > explosions,
          > fun weapons. Signum. Uniforms. So, yeah. :-)

          I'm hoping we get something yuri-wise, but I think Zyl is probably on
          target when he says that it's probably not going to happen.

          -==-
          Serge
          http://ximatl.blogspot.com
          http://albikal.blogspot.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] El Cazador and Nanoha StrikerS first looks
            >Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 12:13:30 -0400
            >

            > > Broccoli was doing all the opening sequences. There was
            > > a...uniformity...even though they are all different. Same here
            >
            >Yes, it's like greeting an old friend.

            It was. I was doing a little mental checklist: Yup, silhouettes in
            cintrasting colors, yup, roll and shoot...

            >It's like BeeTrain decided to marathon El Mariachi, Desperado and
            >Once Upon A Time in Mexico before they started working on this show.
            >I swear they lifted that bar that "Lone Wolf and Cubbette" walk in to
            >from Desperado. I kept expecting to see Cheech Marin make an appearance.

            They must have, because I thought exactly the same thing.

            >They're saving their detailed work for the Marimite OVAs.

            A fair tradeoff.

            > > Last - Hisakawa Aya and Toyoguchi Megumi as severely dressed librarian
            > > types. I totally approve.
            >
            >Mmmm. Grown women.

            Sexy librarians. :)

            Speaking of which. . .

            > > Nanoha StrikerS - I thought that the original Nanoha was a
            > > thoroughly meh
            > > anime. The best part about it were the weapons Raging Heart and
            > > Bardiche.
            > > Nanoha A's was a pretty good story, with too many loli elements for my
            > > taste. But it was still a darn good story with some excellent
            > > characters and
            > > concepts.
            >
            >I'd pretty much agree with this.
            > >
            > > Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are grownups now and all in the armed
            > > forces of the
            > > Time-Space Administration Bureau.
            >
            >As expected there was a considerable cry from the lolicon/moe-tard
            >crowd.

            So I've been seeing for months. I feel nothing for them.

            I like that the characters have grown from series to series,
            >and since most magical girl series end before, sometimes way before,
            >the girls become adults I like that they're exploring this possibility.

            Absolutely.

            It's one of the (many) things that makes marimite so delightful, that we are
            seeing Yumi mature and grow...without losing her essential nature.

            >I'm hoping we get something yuri-wise, but I think Zyl is probably on
            >target when he says that it's probably not going to happen.

            Agreed. His post was, for anything who hasn;t yet read it, not only accurate
            and intelligent, but freaking hysterical.
            http://hontouni.com/souomou/2007/04/06/strikers1

            http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag3
          • Aaron the PK
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2007
              --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

              > > > Nanoha StrikerS - I thought that the original
              > Nanoha was a
              > > > thoroughly meh
              > > > anime. The best part about it were the weapons
              > Raging Heart and
              > > > Bardiche.
              > > > Nanoha A's was a pretty good story, with too
              > many loli elements for my
              > > > taste. But it was still a darn good story with
              > some excellent
              > > > characters and
              > > > concepts.
              > >
              > >I'd pretty much agree with this.
              > > >
              > > > Nanoha, Fate and Hayate are grownups now and all
              > in the armed
              > > > forces of the
              > > > Time-Space Administration Bureau.
              > >
              > >As expected there was a considerable cry from the
              > lolicon/moe-tard
              > >crowd.
              >
              > So I've been seeing for months. I feel nothing for
              > them.

              While I (and many other fans I converse with on teh
              intarwebs) disagree with your thoughts on the first
              two seasons, I've encountered little to no
              disappointment with the decision to have the
              characters grow up. Quite the contrary, most fans
              I've encountered really like the decision. Then
              again, I avoid places like 4chan and stick to ANN,
              AoD, and blogs liky Zyl's and Stripey's, so maybe
              that's my problem. Well, okay, its really not a
              problem, but it may explain why I haven't encountered
              many complaints.

              Outside of 4chan, was there really that much complaining?

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
            • Me
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                There's a strong chance I'm going to be heading down to Anime Expo this Summer and enter their Anime Idol contest (Voice Acting).

                The requirement is an up to one minute monologue from anime. I would love to do a Yuri-related one or Yuri character, etc because I think it would be a lot of fun. However, my brain is drawing a blank on something like this. I can kind of think of Narrative beginnings (Le Chevalier d'Eon or The Third) but I want something with a little more guts and oomph to it. Of course, there's no website that I could find that has a nice set of monologues from Anime either.

                So, my request -- PLEASE, If anyone has a good idea of a monologue, where it might be found (Name and episode at least), or a transcript; I will be greatly in your debt!!

                BTW, anyone else thinking about heading off to Anime Expo this year, too? (July in Long Beach, CA)

                Thespi

                The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
                better slave race, YET.

                "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

                The fish are biting.
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                  Sailor Moon 106 - "I want to be the wind" by Haruka. :-)

                  Good luck!

                  >From: Me <thethespi@...>
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Yuricon] Semi- O.T. - anime monologue
                  >Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
                  >
                  >There's a strong chance I'm going to be heading down to Anime Expo this
                  >Summer and enter their Anime Idol contest (Voice Acting).
                  >
                  > The requirement is an up to one minute monologue from anime. I would
                  >love to do a Yuri-related one or Yuri character, etc because I think it
                  >would be a lot of fun. However, my brain is drawing a blank on something
                  >like this. I can kind of think of Narrative beginnings (Le Chevalier d'Eon
                  >or The Third) but I want something with a little more guts and oomph to it.
                  >Of course, there's no website that I could find that has a nice set of
                  >monologues from Anime either.
                  >
                  > So, my request -- PLEASE, If anyone has a good idea of a monologue,
                  >where it might be found (Name and episode at least), or a transcript; I
                  >will be greatly in your debt!!
                  >
                  >BTW, anyone else thinking about heading off to Anime Expo this year, too?
                  >(July in Long Beach, CA)
                  >
                  > Thespi
                  >

                  >The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
                  >better slave race, YET.
                  >
                  >"Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya
                  >Huff
                  >
                  >---------------------------------
                  >The fish are biting.

                • Carmen DiProspero
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                    Good luck to you. You'll do fine.

                    Carmen ^_^

                    --- Me <thethespi@...> wrote:

                    > There's a strong chance I'm going to be heading down
                    > to Anime Expo this Summer and enter their Anime Idol
                    > contest (Voice Acting).
                    >
                    > The requirement is an up to one minute monologue
                    > from anime. I would love to do a Yuri-related one or
                    > Yuri character, etc because I think it would be a
                    > lot of fun. However, my brain is drawing a blank on
                    > something like this. I can kind of think of
                    > Narrative beginnings (Le Chevalier d'Eon or The
                    > Third) but I want something with a little more guts
                    > and oomph to it. Of course, there's no website that
                    > I could find that has a nice set of monologues from
                    > Anime either.
                    >
                    > So, my request -- PLEASE, If anyone has a good
                    > idea of a monologue, where it might be found (Name
                    > and episode at least), or a transcript; I will be
                    > greatly in your debt!!
                    >
                    > BTW, anyone else thinking about heading off to Anime
                    > Expo this year, too? (July in Long Beach, CA)
                    >
                    > Thespi
                    >

                    > The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that
                    > they haven't found a
                    > better slave race, YET.
                    >
                    > "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon
                    > the Keeper" by Tanya Huff
                    >
                    > ---------------------------------
                    > The fish are biting.
                    > Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search
                    Marketing.

                    TV dinner still cooling?
                    http://tv.yahoo.com/
                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                      Wow I was just about to suggest that.

                      Break a leg in the contest Thespi! My friends tried to get me to enter last year but I was too chicken so go and give them a good dose of Yuri for me.

                      ~Shane

                      Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                      Sailor Moon 106 - "I want to be the wind" by Haruka. :-)

                      Good luck!

                      http://www.yuricon. org

                      "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
                      The Fanfic Revolution - http://www.fanficre volution. org

                      Because fanfic does not have to suck

                      >From: Me <thethespi@yahoo. com>
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] Semi- O.T. - anime monologue
                      >Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
                      >
                      >There's a strong chance I'm going to be heading down to Anime Expo this
                      >Summer and enter their Anime Idol contest (Voice Acting).
                      >
                      > The requirement is an up to one minute monologue from anime. I would
                      >love to do a Yuri-related one or Yuri character, etc because I think it
                      >would be a lot of fun. However, my brain is drawing a blank on something
                      >like this. I can kind of think of Narrative beginnings (Le Chevalier d'Eon
                      >or The Third) but I want something with a little more guts and oomph to it.
                      >Of course, there's no website that I could find that has a nice set of
                      >monologues from Anime either.
                      >
                      > So, my request -- PLEASE, If anyone has a good idea of a monologue,
                      >where it might be found (Name and episode at least), or a transcript; I
                      >will be greatly in your debt!!
                      >
                      >BTW, anyone else thinking about heading off to Anime Expo this year, too?
                      >(July in Long Beach, CA)
                      >
                      > Thespi
                      >

                      >The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
                      >better slave race, YET.
                      >
                      >"Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya
                      >Huff
                      >
                      >----------- --------- --------- ----
                      >The fish are biting.

                      https://www2. nextag.com/ goto.jsp? product=10000003 5&url=%2fst. jsp&tm=y& search=mortgage_ text_links_ 88_h2bbb& disc=y&vers= 925&s=4056& p=5117

                      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                    • Susan Davis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 8, 2007
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Me <thethespi@...> wrote:

                        > So, my request -- PLEASE, If anyone has a good idea of a
                        > monologue, where it might be found (Name and episode at least), or
                        > a transcript; I will be greatly in your debt!!

                        Simoun, episode 9: Neviril in front of the council?
                        ...or Amuria psyching Neviril up to do the Emerald Ri Maajon in episode 1?
                        ...or Dominura doing the same to Limone in episode 15?
                        ...or Wapourif musing about Amuria and the helical motors in episode
                        14, with a possible jump cut to him wrestling with whether to follow
                        Dominura's orders later in the episode?
                        ...or the last bit of episode 26, from Floef's line "I wonder why we
                        were so insistent about it?" on through "...our Eternal Priestesses?"
                        ...or Mamiina's funeral in episode 20?
                        ...or Anubituf's funeral oration in episode 9?
                        ...or one of Mamiina's rants in episodes 7, 8, 10, or 18?

                        --
                        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                      • Me
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                          THANK YOU VERY MUCH, EVERYONE!!
                          Just wanted to let you all know, you gave me some very good ideas...  I appreciate it very much.... now to transcribe and memorize....

                          Thespi

                          Susan Davis <futabachan@yahoo. com>

                          The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
                          better slave race, YET.

                          "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

                          Get your own web address.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 10, 2007
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Me <thethespi@...> wrote:

                            > THANK YOU VERY MUCH, EVERYONE!!
                            > Just wanted to let you all know, you gave me some very good
                            ideas... I appreciate it very much.... now to transcribe and memorize....

                            Don't forget to tell us how it all goes. :-)

                            The Fanfic Revolution - http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com