Re: Looking forward to the spring anime season

  • Sylwia 'Louise' Kazmierczak
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...> wrote:
      > Claymore.
      >
      > Everything after the first two arcs has been very good. A story like
      > this only comes every decade or so.
      >
      > Although, being an anime adapted from a manga, it has the tendency to
      > hit or miss depending on the execution

      When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
      almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
      the same. Claymore is one of the best comic book I've ever read and
      one of that which has soujo-ai but is totaly neglected by yuri fans.
      Lesbian motives in Claymore are very subtle and maybe this is the
      purpose of its small popularity in yuri fandom. This comic include
      many interrelations between women and a few couples (Sophia&Noel,
      Helen&Denev, Rachel&Audrey and short but deep relation between Theresa
      and Claire). Many interesting women characters, dramatic plot, good
      dialogues and beautiful art makes Yagi's work great.

      Cheers,
      Louise
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
        >From: "Sylwia 'Louise' Kazmierczak" <louise_salieri@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Looking forward to the spring anime season
        >Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:37:51 -0000
        >
        >When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
        >almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
        >the same.

        Not "not interested" - it's more like "not familiar with." I have certainly
        seen yuri fanart of the chacters from Claymore. So, tell us about it. You
        say it's good...what's it *about*?

        If there is an anime coming out this spring (and I assume there is, or
        mellowrg wouldn't have added the title to this thread, I'm sure plenty of
        folks will give it a try. Whther there's yuri in the anime remains to be
        seen, of course. It's not like no yuri has stopped yuri famdumb before,
        though. <coughAriacough>. ;-)

        Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
      • Aereal Reis
        Message 3 of 14 , May 18, 2007
          > >When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
          > >almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
          > >the same.
          >
          > Not "not interested" - it's more like "not familiar with." I have
          > certainly seen yuri fanart of the chacters from Claymore. So, tell
          > us about it. You say it's good...what's it *about*?

          I haven't seen any yuri fanart of Claymore, if you remember where it
          was or who made it I'd be deeply grateful, I so want to see it.

          I've seen up to episode 7 and it definitely is yuri (more yuri tan
          Aria, anyway >.>) but on top of that it is a very very good anime (and
          I can only imagine how extreme the manga is just based on the fact
          anime often tends to be less than the manga)

          The story is a dark-age world in which demons called "Youma" eat human
          guts, an organization has these women who use youma powers to kill
          youma for a profit, there's much more to it than that, apparently
          these women have youma blood and flesh in them (not sure how) and use
          human will to control it and use it; if they use too much, however,
          the "yoki" which is like the power the youma and these women use,
          begins to control them and they turn into youma. So a good "claymore"
          (which is the name humans give these women, as well as "silver eye
          witches" and "monsters") is one that can be extremely strong without
          using yoki.

          The story is very deep and the combat is amazing, also lots of blood
          but its not disgusting, mainly because the blood isn't on screen for
          longer than one can tolerate, there is also some fanservice but it is
          in the form of tight clothes, and some nudity (but nothing improper is
          ever shown)

          The yuri so far (up to chapter 7) is between the top Claymore
          "Theresa" and a little girl called "Claire", Claire is much younger
          than Theresa, but she admires/adores/desires Theresa, I won't say much
          about Theresa because its an spoiler.

          I greatly recommend it, and I do see yuri there.

          oh! yes, fanart please, any hint, even little one would be greatly
          appreciated.
          Message 4 of 14 , May 18, 2007
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Aereal Reis" <neo_hrtgdv@...> wrote:

            > I've seen up to episode 7 and it definitely is yuri (more yuri tan
            > Aria, anyway >.>)

            Well, I have to disagree there. I'm not seeing yuri. Sure Clarte
            admires Teresa and has obvious affection for her, but I'm seeing a
            younger older sister or daughter mother dymnamic. I definitely am not
            seeing whatever desire you. (I'm tempted to write that I've had my
            head in any number of laps without actually desiring the person, but
            it sounds really bad, even if it is true. LOL)

            but on top of that it is a very very good anime (and
            > I can only imagine how extreme the manga is just based on the fact
            > anime often tends to be less than the manga)

            And again...it's a perfectly fine anime, but not, IMHO, so OMG. The
            plot so far is, to me, incredibly predictable. I'm enjoying it
            plenty, but I'm just not seeing it as being more than the sword and
            sorceror vehicle that it is.

          • Aereal Reis
            Message 5 of 14 , May 18, 2007
              > Well, I have to disagree there. I'm not seeing yuri. Sure Clarte
              > admires Teresa and has obvious affection for her, but I'm seeing a
              > younger older sister or daughter mother dymnamic. I definitely am
              > not seeing whatever desire you. (I'm tempted to write that I've had
              > my head in any number of laps without actually desiring the person,
              > but it sounds really bad, even if it is true. LOL)

              Well.. I really have no strong argument to defend the yuri undertones
              here, I'm sure many people won't see it as yuri, and again: many will;
              I think its something that has become more or less an habit, but
              honestly, we get so little yuri undertone anime, and even less strong
              yuri anime its not a surprise to see hundreds pining for the little
              there is, its not a excuse to do it, but a fact that its hard to overlook.

              > And again...it's a perfectly fine anime, but not, IMHO, so OMG. The
              > plot so far is, to me, incredibly predictable. I'm enjoying it
              > plenty, but I'm just not seeing it as being more than the sword and
              > sorceror vehicle that it is.

              But its not to know "what will happen" because /I/ see it, but to
              watch "how it happens", I really liked it, I think that is just that
              ^-^. I am mostly hesitant with anime, currently I'm only watching El
              Cazador, Nanoha and Claymore.

              I think we really need more good anime, and if I'm to daydream, more
              yuri anime, I am really hoping for Strawberry Shake Sweet, Iono the
              fanatics, Hayate X Blade, or Aoi Hana anime.. but then again.. its
              only daydreaming.
            • silvertenshi24687
              Message 6 of 14 , May 22, 2007

                > I think we really need more good anime, and if I'm to daydream, more
                > yuri anime, I am really hoping for Strawberry Shake Sweet, Iono the
                > fanatics, Hayate X Blade, or Aoi Hana anime.. but then again.. its
                > only daydreaming.

                I totally agree to this, we do need more good anime, and specialy good
                yuri anime where there's a really yuri couple not just subtext or
                anything like that, i'll really love to see Strawberry Shake Sweet
                anime and Iono the fanatics anime, mmm Maka Maka is really good too,
                has a great plot and it's fun, thou i wouldn't like if they made it
                just fanservice(mainly boys). The only bits of yuri in some none yuri
                anime is just for fanservice and that's something i've come to hate.
              • Eric
                Message 7 of 14 , May 24, 2007
                  I've read about this OVA series in Newtype called ICE, in which
                  possible yuri-ish elements seem implied. In the future, men are wiped
                  out, and the rest of the all-woman human society gathered in Tokyo are
                  divided between the pessimists, who resort to hedonism since they
                  believe Earth will end someday, and the optimists, who resort to
                  science since they believe Earth could be saved someday. It involves
                  peace-keeping wars between both sides.--Pachy_Boy
                • Blah Blahn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 6, 2007
                    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hitohira yet for Yuri content. The Yuri content is in large bunches, even if it is slow to develop. Now that the ending is coming up (the next episode preview said the 12th episode shall be the final one), I wonder how the series will end, especially with the obvious Yuri-ness of 11.... I am sad though, because Hitohira has definitely taken a turn for the depressive near the end. Anyways, random rambling aside, I wonder what other people think of Hitohira this anime season.