Looking forward to the spring anime season

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27 7:50 AM
      Well, we've already discussed some of the main anime of yuri-fandumb
      interest that are coming: Aria, Nanoha StrikerS, El Cazador, Murder
      Princess

      and we're already watching the numerous yuri-interest OVAs: Maria-sama
      ga Miteru, Ichigo Mashimaro, Mai Otome Zwei and the extremely
      disappointing Bakuretsu Tenshi one-shot OVA (I'll deal with that in a
      later post)

      and of course, we'll *all* watching Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny, right? LOL

      So...what's coming up that we haven't talked about yet that yuri
      fandumb will, despite all evidence to the contrary, insist is yuri?
      LOL My first candidate is "Rocket Girls" which is a pretty thinly
      veiled attempt to show young women in skintight "spacesuits" with the
      thinnest plot. Sort of like Stratos 4, it's about a bunch of girls, so
      inevitably two will be seen standing next to one another a lot. :-)

      Anyone else?

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27 8:07 AM
        On 27-Mar-2007 14:50 -0000, atheniag wrote:

        > and of course, we'll *all* watching Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny, right?

        Yes, Erica. Yes we are.

        (Nurse, could you fetch me some more morphine? Patient E is acting
        up again.)

        > My first candidate is "Rocket Girls" which is a pretty thinly
        > veiled attempt to show young women in skintight "spacesuits" with the
        > thinnest plot. Sort of like Stratos 4

        I bet they won't dare to re-use the Evil Space-Lesbian Virus, though.
        (When I rule the world, *all* sci-fi will feature ESLV.)
        .oO("next to me is dr kervorkian who will inject me with cyanide." )
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 27 8:14 AM
          >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Looking forward to the spring anime season
          >Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:07:24 +0100
          >
          >On 27-Mar-2007 14:50 -0000, atheniag wrote:
          >
          > > and of course, we'll *all* watching Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny, right?
          >
          >Yes, Erica. Yes we are.
          >

          >(Nurse, could you fetch me some more morphine? Patient E is acting
          > up again.)

          Pfft. Serge always watches the crap I suggest, like a good minion. :-)

          > > My first candidate is "Rocket Girls" which is a pretty thinly
          > > veiled attempt to show young women in skintight "spacesuits" with the
          > > thinnest plot. Sort of like Stratos 4
          >
          >I bet they won't dare to re-use the Evil Space-Lesbian Virus, though.
          >(When I rule the world, *all* sci-fi will feature ESLV.)

          That was the saving grace of what was a terrible series, yes...and not
          dissimilar to the background of just about every bad post-apocalyptic 80's
          lesbian sci-fi novel series, too.

          Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit MSN
          Presents today.
          http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline&ocid=T002MSN03A07001
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 27 10:02 PM
            On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:14 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:
            > >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
            > >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Looking forward to the spring anime season
            > >Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:07:24 +0100
            > >
            > >On 27-Mar-2007 14:50 -0000, atheniag wrote:
            > > > My first candidate is "Rocket Girls" which is a pretty thinly
            > > > veiled attempt to show young women in skintight "spacesuits" with
            > > > the thinnest plot. Sort of like Stratos 4
            > >
            > >I bet they won't dare to re-use the Evil Space-Lesbian Virus, though.
            > >(When I rule the world, *all* sci-fi will feature ESLV.)
            >
            > That was the saving grace of what was a terrible series, yes...and not

            The English dub (done in the U.S., I think) aired on Animax was so
            horrible I couldn't watch the show regularly enough to catch that bit,
            so the only thing I really liked were the theme songs by Melocure.

            > dissimilar to the background of just about every bad post-apocalyptic
            > 80's lesbian sci-fi novel series, too.

            Entire series? Closest thing to those I've read are Sherri S. Tepper's
            Gate to Women's Country and Pamela Sargent's Shore of Women, which both
            had post-apocalyptic matriarchies as the last bastion of civilization.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28 10:06 AM
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:

              > > >I bet they won't dare to re-use the Evil Space-Lesbian Virus, though.
              > > >(When I rule the world, *all* sci-fi will feature ESLV.)
              > >
              > > That was the saving grace of what was a terrible series, yes...and not
              >
              > The English dub (done in the U.S., I think) aired on Animax was so
              > horrible I couldn't watch the show regularly enough to catch that bit,
              > so the only thing I really liked were the theme songs by Melocure.

              The original was pretty horrible, with or without dubs. Not as lame as
              Vandread, but sort of meh, with that "idiot savant" type heroine that
              makes me sad for Japanese women.

              > > dissimilar to the background of just about every bad post-apocalyptic
              > > 80's lesbian sci-fi novel series, too.
              >

              > Entire series? Closest thing to those I've read are Sherri S. Tepper's
              > Gate to Women's Country and Pamela Sargent's Shore of Women, which both
              > had post-apocalyptic matriarchies as the last bastion of civilization.

              Heh. I would gladly provide names, but I have this little feature in
              my brain (seriously) that wipes out my memory of books and movies that
              I didn't enjoy, so while I remember vaguely I read or saw them, I
              won't remember details.

              But these series were late 70's early 80's lesbian separatist, womyn
              and femlit literature, by a few of the lesbian presses out there.
              Women either all of a sudden came to their collective senses and
              realized they didn't need men, or a virus wiped out all the men, or
              women, sorry, wimmin, learned how to reproduce w/out men and suddenly
              all became lesbian as a logical next step. That kind of stuff.

              ...the kind of stuff that I am sure Konno Oyuki-sensei is implying
              when she has Sei reading "homosexual" literature along with "Well."

              Gosh I read some real stinkers as a babydyke...which is exactly why I
              wrote SnB. I just wanted there to be *one* book out there for young
              lesbians (particularly) where being a lesbian 1) wasn't an issue, 2)
              didn't involve angst and fear, 3) was the source of fun, without too
              much bitter mixed in.

            • mellowrg
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28 5:36 PM

                > Anyone else?

                Claymore.

                Everything after the first two arcs has been very good. A story like
                this only comes every decade or so.

                Although, being an anime adapted from a manga, it has the tendency to
                hit or miss depending on the execution
              • Sylwia 'Louise' Kazmierczak
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31 11:37 AM
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...> wrote:
                  > Claymore.
                  >
                  > Everything after the first two arcs has been very good. A story like
                  > this only comes every decade or so.
                  >
                  > Although, being an anime adapted from a manga, it has the tendency to
                  > hit or miss depending on the execution

                  When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
                  almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
                  the same. Claymore is one of the best comic book I've ever read and
                  one of that which has soujo-ai but is totaly neglected by yuri fans.
                  Lesbian motives in Claymore are very subtle and maybe this is the
                  purpose of its small popularity in yuri fandom. This comic include
                  many interrelations between women and a few couples (Sophia&Noel,
                  Helen&Denev, Rachel&Audrey and short but deep relation between Theresa
                  and Claire). Many interesting women characters, dramatic plot, good
                  dialogues and beautiful art makes Yagi's work great.

                  Cheers,
                  Louise
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2007
                    >From: "Sylwia 'Louise' Kazmierczak" <louise_salieri@...>
                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Looking forward to the spring anime season
                    >Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:37:51 -0000
                    >
                    >When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
                    >almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
                    >the same.

                    Not "not interested" - it's more like "not familiar with." I have certainly
                    seen yuri fanart of the chacters from Claymore. So, tell us about it. You
                    say it's good...what's it *about*?

                    If there is an anime coming out this spring (and I assume there is, or
                    mellowrg wouldn't have added the title to this thread, I'm sure plenty of
                    folks will give it a try. Whther there's yuri in the anime remains to be
                    seen, of course. It's not like no yuri has stopped yuri famdumb before,
                    though. <coughAriacough>. ;-)

                    Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
                  • Aereal Reis
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                      > >When I wrote about Claymore manga on shoujo-ai forum two years ago,
                      > >almost noone was interested in this title. As I see, at the list is
                      > >the same.
                      >
                      > Not "not interested" - it's more like "not familiar with." I have
                      > certainly seen yuri fanart of the chacters from Claymore. So, tell
                      > us about it. You say it's good...what's it *about*?

                      I haven't seen any yuri fanart of Claymore, if you remember where it
                      was or who made it I'd be deeply grateful, I so want to see it.

                      I've seen up to episode 7 and it definitely is yuri (more yuri tan
                      Aria, anyway >.>) but on top of that it is a very very good anime (and
                      I can only imagine how extreme the manga is just based on the fact
                      anime often tends to be less than the manga)

                      The story is a dark-age world in which demons called "Youma" eat human
                      guts, an organization has these women who use youma powers to kill
                      youma for a profit, there's much more to it than that, apparently
                      these women have youma blood and flesh in them (not sure how) and use
                      human will to control it and use it; if they use too much, however,
                      the "yoki" which is like the power the youma and these women use,
                      begins to control them and they turn into youma. So a good "claymore"
                      (which is the name humans give these women, as well as "silver eye
                      witches" and "monsters") is one that can be extremely strong without
                      using yoki.

                      The story is very deep and the combat is amazing, also lots of blood
                      but its not disgusting, mainly because the blood isn't on screen for
                      longer than one can tolerate, there is also some fanservice but it is
                      in the form of tight clothes, and some nudity (but nothing improper is
                      ever shown)

                      The yuri so far (up to chapter 7) is between the top Claymore
                      "Theresa" and a little girl called "Claire", Claire is much younger
                      than Theresa, but she admires/adores/desires Theresa, I won't say much
                      about Theresa because its an spoiler.

                      I greatly recommend it, and I do see yuri there.

                      oh! yes, fanart please, any hint, even little one would be greatly
                      appreciated.
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Aereal Reis" <neo_hrtgdv@...> wrote:

                        > I've seen up to episode 7 and it definitely is yuri (more yuri tan
                        > Aria, anyway >.>)

                        Well, I have to disagree there. I'm not seeing yuri. Sure Clarte
                        admires Teresa and has obvious affection for her, but I'm seeing a
                        younger older sister or daughter mother dymnamic. I definitely am not
                        seeing whatever desire you. (I'm tempted to write that I've had my
                        head in any number of laps without actually desiring the person, but
                        it sounds really bad, even if it is true. LOL)

                        but on top of that it is a very very good anime (and
                        > I can only imagine how extreme the manga is just based on the fact
                        > anime often tends to be less than the manga)

                        And again...it's a perfectly fine anime, but not, IMHO, so OMG. The
                        plot so far is, to me, incredibly predictable. I'm enjoying it
                        plenty, but I'm just not seeing it as being more than the sword and
                        sorceror vehicle that it is.

                      • Aereal Reis
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 18, 2007
                          > Well, I have to disagree there. I'm not seeing yuri. Sure Clarte
                          > admires Teresa and has obvious affection for her, but I'm seeing a
                          > younger older sister or daughter mother dymnamic. I definitely am
                          > not seeing whatever desire you. (I'm tempted to write that I've had
                          > my head in any number of laps without actually desiring the person,
                          > but it sounds really bad, even if it is true. LOL)

                          Well.. I really have no strong argument to defend the yuri undertones
                          here, I'm sure many people won't see it as yuri, and again: many will;
                          I think its something that has become more or less an habit, but
                          honestly, we get so little yuri undertone anime, and even less strong
                          yuri anime its not a surprise to see hundreds pining for the little
                          there is, its not a excuse to do it, but a fact that its hard to overlook.

                          > And again...it's a perfectly fine anime, but not, IMHO, so OMG. The
                          > plot so far is, to me, incredibly predictable. I'm enjoying it
                          > plenty, but I'm just not seeing it as being more than the sword and
                          > sorceror vehicle that it is.

                          But its not to know "what will happen" because /I/ see it, but to
                          watch "how it happens", I really liked it, I think that is just that
                          ^-^. I am mostly hesitant with anime, currently I'm only watching El
                          Cazador, Nanoha and Claymore.

                          I think we really need more good anime, and if I'm to daydream, more
                          yuri anime, I am really hoping for Strawberry Shake Sweet, Iono the
                          fanatics, Hayate X Blade, or Aoi Hana anime.. but then again.. its
                          only daydreaming.
                        • silvertenshi24687
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 22, 2007

                            > I think we really need more good anime, and if I'm to daydream, more
                            > yuri anime, I am really hoping for Strawberry Shake Sweet, Iono the
                            > fanatics, Hayate X Blade, or Aoi Hana anime.. but then again.. its
                            > only daydreaming.

                            I totally agree to this, we do need more good anime, and specialy good
                            yuri anime where there's a really yuri couple not just subtext or
                            anything like that, i'll really love to see Strawberry Shake Sweet
                            anime and Iono the fanatics anime, mmm Maka Maka is really good too,
                            has a great plot and it's fun, thou i wouldn't like if they made it
                            just fanservice(mainly boys). The only bits of yuri in some none yuri
                            anime is just for fanservice and that's something i've come to hate.
                          • Eric
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 24, 2007
                              I've read about this OVA series in Newtype called ICE, in which
                              possible yuri-ish elements seem implied. In the future, men are wiped
                              out, and the rest of the all-woman human society gathered in Tokyo are
                              divided between the pessimists, who resort to hedonism since they
                              believe Earth will end someday, and the optimists, who resort to
                              science since they believe Earth could be saved someday. It involves
                              peace-keeping wars between both sides.--Pachy_Boy
                            • Blah Blahn
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 6, 2007
                                I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hitohira yet for Yuri content. The Yuri content is in large bunches, even if it is slow to develop. Now that the ending is coming up (the next episode preview said the 12th episode shall be the final one), I wonder how the series will end, especially with the obvious Yuri-ness of 11.... I am sad though, because Hitohira has definitely taken a turn for the depressive near the end. Anyways, random rambling aside, I wonder what other people think of Hitohira this anime season.