Saiyuu no Ryokuo: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko, Issue 50

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2007
      [For Issues 1-45: http://www.yuricon.org/snb/

      Saiyuu no Ryokou: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko

      The Story So Far: Ritsuko and Midori seem to have settled their
      issues for now, which makes Yuriko hopeful for the coming day. After
      a week of wretchedness, she fears nothing but her own despair.

      Volume 3, Issue 13

      "Wheel of Fortune"

      True to her word, Ritsuko was up early. With the resilience of youth,
      she had straightened up the living room and made coffee and breakfast
      for three by the time Yuriko had awakened. When Yuriko dragged her
      ancient-feeling carcass into the kitchen, she was able to simply
      stand still and allow caffeine to resurrect her, while the younger
      woman bustled about inefficiently. Watching her with suspicion, Yuri
      decided that it was nervous, not morning, energy. For that, Ritsuko
      could be forgiven.

      "Hey, your coffee is terrible!" Yuriko said cheerfully, after she had
      finished a second cup.

      "I know," Ritsuko ran her hands through her hair, spiking it up and
      out. "I figure that someone as talented and good-looking as myself
      shouldn't have to cook well, too."

      Yuriko laughed. "That's a great line – may I use it? Everyone is
      always picking on me about my limited culinary skills."

      "Please," the young woman replied with a grin. "I borrowed it from
      Midori."

      The two were laughing together when the aforementioned author
      entered, scowling. "Don't even try to explain," she said
      preemptively, holding up a hand in warning.

      "Wouldn't dream of it!" Yuriko polished her glasses with a corner of
      her blouse, squinted through them, then cleaned them again. "I have
      to get going – I've got a morning TV program appearance before
      rehearsal today. Can I give you a lift anywhere. Ritsuko-san?"

      "That'd be great!" Ritsuko stood up straighter, but a second later,
      she slumped back into a half-hunched position. "Um...but I don't want
      to inconvenience you."

      Yuriko noticed Midori glaring balefully at her sister, and interposed
      herself between the two. "It's no inconvenience to me - and I pay the
      driver. Come on."

      Ritsuko smiled thankfully, while Yuriko shot a reproachful look at
      her lover. After the younger woman had escaped from the room, Yuriko
      shook her head.

      "Don't be so harsh – she's just a kid."

      "Don't be so easy-going, she'll start to presume." Midori shot back.
      "No, really. She's the baby of the family – she's always been
      spoiled." Midori made a face. "I'm as guilty of spoiling her as
      anyone else, I guess."

      Yuriko smiled as she wrapped her arms around the author, leaning her
      chin on Midori's head "Speaking as a youngest who wishes she'd been
      spoiled – thank you." She kissed the other woman on top of the head.
      "You are so beautiful when you scowl disapprovingly, did you know
      that?"

      Midori laughed and pushed Yuriko away. "Yes, as a matter of fact.
      I've been told many, many times. I suppose that means that I scowl a
      lot."

      "Yes," Yuriko agreed pleasantly. "That's what I love about you – your
      disapproving nature." Seeing the look on Midori's face, Yuriko
      apologized quickly.

      Midori shook her head. "No, it's not that. I was just thinking about
      something she said last night. I guess I am pretty judgmental." She
      shrugged. "It's much too early to be philosophic about my nature.
      What's for breakfast?"

      "Overcooked eggs, cold toast and bad coffee," Yuriko grinned.
      "Pretend I made it and be gracious."

      "They are not overcooked!" Ritsuko had reentered the kitchen. "Don't
      tell me that you're one of those people who likes their eggs all
      runny and gooey....ewww. Midori – how could you? That would be as bad
      as...taking up with a morning person."
      Midori just smiled at her sister's outrage, as she seated herself at
      the table with a plate of food and a cup of coffee.

      "Well, I'm not a morning person, but I do have to get going. Are you
      ready?" Yuriko gestured for Ritsuko to precede her out into the
      living room. They retrieved their coats, while Midori watched them
      from the table.

      "Remember, Yuri – I've got that interview this evening. I won't be
      home until late."

      "Right – I'll just go back to my place. Then I'll see you," the
      singer made a quick calculation in her head. "Saturday? That long? Oh
      well." While Ritsuko was heading out the door, Yuriko blew a silent
      kiss in Midori's direction, then followed the other woman into the
      hallway.

      "You two seem really happy together," Ritsuko commented once they
      were in the elevator.

      Yuriko nodded. "So far. And there's no one more surprised about it
      than we are."

      Both women lapsed into silence as the elevator carried them down to
      the lobby.

      The elevator stopped, and the doors opened. With a snap of her
      fingers, as if she had just remembered something, the singer paused
      slightly. "Oh, hey, before we leave, there's something you'd better
      know..." She resumed walking across the foyer, with the young artist
      in tow.

      "What's that?"

      Yuriko nodded to the doorman as they passed, which he returned with a
      salute and a friendly bow.

      "You're about to have your picture taken," Yuriko quipped, with a
      crooked smile.

      "What?" Ritsuko stared at her for a second, then followed her through
      the front door.

      There was a noise like nothing Ritsuko had ever heard. The sky wasn't
      fully light, but the air was already heavy with moisture and heat.
      Flashing lights blinded her, and voices clamoring for attention
      slammed into her from several directions. She stopped, stunned by the
      commotion, but Yuriko took the girl firmly in hand, and steered her
      towards the waiting car. She helped Ritsuko into the back seat, then
      turned and waved to the cameras, smiling and shooting off a few bland
      phrases of greeting. After a moment or two, Yuriko seated herself
      and closed the door against the noise of the paparazzi, then let out
      an audible sigh.

      "I don't know how they know..." Yuriko muttered, "But they always
      do..."

      Staring out the window, Ritsuko could see that the "crowd" had, in
      fact been only a very few people, but her retinas still burned with
      the flashes and her ears rung with questions.

      The tall blonde turned towards the girl seated next to her, smiling
      at the familiar dazed look in her eyes.

      "You're famous now," she said with a cynical laugh.

      To Be Continued.

      Copyright E. Friedman, all rights reserved.