Re: [Yuricon] El Cazador

  • Iain Brown
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      atheniag wrote:

      > Another front runner for yuri cred in the upcoming anime season - El
      > Cazador: http://www.elcazador.tv <http://www.elcazador.tv>
      >
      > I am basining this on two entirely superficial things: Bee Train did
      > the animation, and savage genius and Fiction Junction Yuuka are doing
      > the music. LOL

      A little more than that - it's directed by Koichi Mashimo, and is
      supposedly the third part of his girls-with-guns sequence after Noir and
      Madlax. I'd be surprised if it doesn't push the yuri angle further than
      Madlax.

      > At the minimum, chicks with guns.

      /cheer
    • Me
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
        Hello all,

        Just saw a Promo for this show... ICE...
        Set in the near future, men have been wiped off the planet due to genetic problems, now it's a race against time to come up with a way to survive and reproduce without them....
        At least that's what I got from the ultra quick showing of the subtitled text...

        Anyone else know any more about this new title?

        Since it's all females, does that mean Yuri is automatic? (personally, I say yes... Go Girls! But I'm easy to please... *LOL*)

        Thespi

        The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
        better slave race, YET.

        "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
          >From: Me <thethespi@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Yuricon] ICE
          >Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Hello all,
          >

          > Since it's all females, does that mean Yuri is automatic? (personally, I
          >say yes... Go Girls! But I'm easy to please... *LOL*)

          I haven't seen a thing about the new series, so can't anser to that, but to
          this question let me caution you with this one word: Vandread.

        • Me
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 12, 2007
            Having seen said show you are referring to... I will have to respectfully tell you, I don't think this is going to be anything like it. And not with just the artwork, which looks to be rather detailed and amazing in design. Plus we have some rather kick-a** characters, too, which I forgot to mention as well as there is conflict between two groups of how do deal with the future. Oh, and there's a girl with a gun that looks rather scary.... *L* (In a good way, though!!)
            I do hope you'll find the Promo and watch it at least.... (I saw mine via a Torrent from AnimeSuki)
            As an aside... I had fun watching "Vandread"... I didn't watch it for anything "deep", but more light comedy with the obvious het romance happening. I enjoyed the background characters for what they were.... Like I said, I'm easy to please... *LOL* (but please don't hold that against me for ever inviting me over for those hypothetical lunches you talk about for meeting interesting people!!)

            Thespi

            http://www.yuricon. org

            "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
            The Fanfic Revolution - http://www.fanficre volution. org

            Live! http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/ 01/

            The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
            better slave race, YET.

            "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

            Need Mail bonding?

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 13, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Me <thethespi@...> wrote:

              > Having seen said show you are referring to... I will have to
              respectfully tell you, I don't think this is going to be anything like it.

              I watched the trailer last night...I have to agree with you. :-)

              I don't believe there will be any more substantial yuri that there was
              in Vandread , which is to say, I predict a few "obvious" couples that
              are barely touched upon, but that's about it.

              The main pairing is the usual shounen fare of older woman/younger
              woman, which is really a stereotype I wouldn't mind seeing go away for
              a while. (El Cazador is going to be the same exact thing.) ... But
              thinking about it, if we take away that stereotpye, we'll probably get
              a loli couple, like the new Kiddy Grade.

              I'm never going to see an anime where the characters are all adult
              women, am I? I just need to get over it.

              Anyway - ICE definitely looks interesting. Yuri or not, I'll
              definitely give it a watch, because while it might be style over
              substance, the style looks good. :-)

            • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 18, 2007
                 I found small article in Newtype for a manga called Kedamono Damono.

                "Konatsu is the manager of the boys' basketball team, and has a crush on her senpai, who oversees the team - and is a real jerk. But as Konatsu confides in Haruki, their relationship begins to grow closer. The only problem? Haruki is a boy by day... and a really pervy girl by night!"

                So, I got a copy of it the other day. I read through it and it wasn't bad. It has lots of potential. So far, Konatsu's mostly done romantic things with the girl version, though she keeps wanting to know how the boy version of Haruki feels.

                This part though really made it interesting. [insert spoiler warning]

                (highlight to read)
                At one point Konatsu cries to girl Haruki that none of it makes sense to her because she is a lot more attracted to the girl version than the guy version.
                [end spoiler warning]

                So the story has potential to be really good. Whether or not it uses that potential, I don't know. I hope it does.

                Need Mail bonding?

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 18, 2007
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andi, Andi Spring,
                  Spring" <endlessdreamer13@...> wrote:

                  > I found small article in Newtype for a manga called Kedamono
                  Damono.

                  <snip>

                  > So the story has potential to be really good. Whether or not it
                  uses that potential, I don't know. I hope it does.

                  Thanks for the heads up - I hadn't heard of that one. I'll definitely
                  have to take a look. :-)

                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 18, 2007
                    <endlessdreamer13@...> wrote:

                    > I found small article in Newtype for a manga called Kedamono
                    Damono.

                    > "Konatsu is the manager of the boys' basketball team, and has a
                    crush on her senpai, who oversees the team - and is a real jerk. But
                    as Konatsu confides in Haruki, their relationship begins to grow
                    closer. The only problem? Haruki is a boy by day... and a really
                    pervy girl by night!"

                    > So, I got a copy of it the other day. I read through it and it
                    wasn't bad. It has lots of potential. So far, Konatsu's mostly done
                    romantic things with the girl version, though she keeps wanting to
                    know how the boy version of Haruki feels.

                    > This part though really made it interesting. [insert spoiler
                    warning]

                    > (highlight to read)
                    > At one point Konatsu cries to girl Haruki that none of it makes
                    sense to her because she is a lot more attracted to the girl version
                    than the guy version.

                    > [end spoiler warning]
                    >
                    > So the story has potential to be really good. Whether or not it
                    uses that potential, I don't know. I hope it does.

                    It gets just as interesting and kind of funny when Konatsu
                    discovers that Haruki's siblings share his gender-bending condition.
                    I think 'Kedamono Damono' is on par with 'Kashimashi' in terms of a
                    creative storyline, although more mature.--Pachy_Boy
                  • Joe Wagner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 18, 2007
                      I was actually really disappointed by this one.  I'm usually a pretty big fan of gender-bending (having some experience in that area myself), but there really wasn't enough substance to Kedamono Damono.  For starters, the mangaka chose not to reveal in this first volume WHY Haruki and family change sex at night... even though it seems to span several weeks or even a month.  Sure it's nice to see pervy girl on chaste girl but... since there's no immediate back story I have a feeling this book could be relegated to LFBs.  It is shoujo, but in this case, i'm not sure that's enough.  I'll wait and see if the second volume turns things around i guess.

                      ~Senbei

                      On 3/18/07, Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...> wrote:

                       I found small article in Newtype for a manga called Kedamono Damono.

                      "Konatsu is the manager of the boys' basketball team, and has a crush on her senpai, Haem? Haruki is a boy by day... and a really pervy girl by night!"

                      So, I got a copy of it the other day. I read through it and it wasn't bad. It has lots of potential. So far, Konatsu's mostly done romantic things with the girl version, though she keeps wanting to know how the boy version of Haruki feels.

                      This part though really made it interesting. [insert spoiler warning]

                      (highlight to read)
                      At one point Konatsu cries to girl Haruki that none of it makes sense to her because she is a lot more attracted to the girl version than the guy version.
                      [end spoiler warning]

                      So the story has potential to be really good. Whether or not it uses that potential, I don't know. I hope it does.

                      Need Mail bonding?

                      "Pray that when you arise from the darkness it will not be as a revengeful horsemen of the apocalypse, but as an avenging angel..." ~The Old Abbey, La Comte de Monte Cristo
                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 19, 2007
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Wagner" <senbei@...> wrote:

                        > I was actually really disappointed by this one. I'm usually a
                        pretty big
                        > fan of gender-bending (having some experience in that area myself),
                        but
                        > there really wasn't enough substance to Kedamono Damono. For
                        starters, the
                        > mangaka chose not to reveal in this first volume WHY Haruki and
                        family
                        > change sex at night... even though it seems to span several weeks
                        or even a
                        > month. Sure it's nice to see pervy girl on chaste girl but...
                        since there's
                        > no immediate back story I have a feeling this book could be
                        relegated to
                        > LFBs. It is shoujo, but in this case, i'm not sure that's enough.
                        I'll
                        > wait and see if the second volume turns things around i guess.
                        >
                        > ~Senbei

                        You can't expect everything to be revealed in the first volume, do
                        you? There are plenty of manga series that pace their story
                        developments out, like Fruits Basket--Pachy_Boy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 14, 2007
                          Well, the raw for ICE came up finally.

                          You may remember a while back,ICEt was mentioned here. Future world,
                          all men are dead, women are looking for a way to save the future,
                          etc, etc.

                          The one significantly good thing is that, compared with "Y the Last
                          Man" in which the basic storyline is similar, the women of ICE have
                          managed to recreate an infrastructure and survive like humans. Other
                          than that...

                          Let me offer you a transcript of my comments on #otenba as I watched
                          to illustrate:

                          > wow, as expected, the animation for ICE is incredibly bad
                          > wow
                          > wow
                          > I'm not sure I can get through this
                          > wow, if anything could have made this anime worse, it would be this
                          > god almightly that was terrible

                          LOL

                          The "as expected" was because I had watched the DVD extra the night
                          before and had very low expectations for the animation. Which were
                          surprassed by the actual badness.

                          Nothing but the thinnest of yuri potential in the whole first
                          episode. The main ruler/baddy type is insane, with a maid fetish and
                          no morals, and the two protagonists will undoubtedly be paired
                          because they are both female.

                          While I will not tell you not to watch it, I will say that you should
                          approach it with very low expectations.

                          Enjoy. :-)

                          Looking for manga where the girl gets the girl? ALC Publishing has
                          what you want! http://www.yuricon.org/shop/magna.html#ALC
                        • Freddy J.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 14, 2007

                            Wow love the background story. I would love to see this when it gets
                            subbed

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 14, 2007

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 14, 2007

                                Wow love the background story. I would love to see this when it gets
                                subbed
                                > Well, the raw for ICE came up finally.
                                >
                                > You may remember a while back,ICEt was mentioned here. Future
                                world,
                                > all men are dead, women are looking for a way to save the future,
                                > etc, etc.
                                >
                                > The one significantly good thing is that, compared with "Y the Last
                                > Man" in which the basic storyline is similar, the women of ICE have
                                > managed to recreate an infrastructure and survive like humans.
                                Other
                                > than that...
                                >
                                > Let me offer you a transcript of my comments on #otenba as I
                                watched
                                > to illustrate:
                                >
                                > > wow, as expected, the animation for ICE is incredibly bad
                                > > wow
                                > > wow
                                > > I'm not sure I can get through this
                                > > wow, if anything could have made this anime worse, it would be
                                this
                                > > god almightly that was terrible
                                >
                                > LOL
                                >
                                > The "as expected" was because I had watched the DVD extra the night
                                > before and had very low expectations for the animation. Which were
                                > surprassed by the actual badness.
                                >
                                > Nothing but the thinnest of yuri potential in the whole first
                                > episode. The main ruler/baddy type is insane, with a maid fetish
                                and
                                > no morals, and the two protagonists will undoubtedly be paired
                                > because they are both female.
                                >
                                > While I will not tell you not to watch it, I will say that you
                                should
                                > approach it with very low expectations.
                                >
                                > Enjoy. :-)

                                > Looking for manga where the girl gets the girl? ALC Publishing has
                                > what you want! http://www.yuricon.org/shop/magna.html#ALC

                              • Aereal Reis
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 18, 2007
                                  Ok, I agree the animation isn't excellent, but its enough to keep you
                                  watching for a while, now my dislike is the tempo of the story and
                                  lots of randomness, the sister is all evil like and I'm not sure about
                                  the sanity of most of the chars (which could be because, you know, the
                                  world is ending). I think it has lots of fanservice and violence
                                  (which I think might be a kind of fanservice as well). It has some
                                  plot that seems important but since we don't know much about stuff
                                  it's mostly irrelevant to us. also.. I don't think the two main will
                                  be paired because they are females (everyone is female >.>) but rather
                                  because they are the main characters, yuri or not main characters are
                                  usually paired, if not officially then unofficially.

                                  As a comment it seems like they are trying (too) hard to make a yuri
                                  anime, that part about the girl saying "You saved me, we should
                                  totally sleep together" was kinda random oO'