"My Otome" licensened

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
      Bandai licensed "Mai Otome" under the inexcusable title "My Otome." :-)

      I wish there was a way to reach out and slap them, really. :-)

    • BlackSkaven
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
        atheniag wrote:

        > Bandai licensed "Mai Otome" under the inexcusable title "My Otome." :-)

        Well - it's shorter than "My Blow Up Doll" and sounds better than "My
        Mum", doesn't it?

        BlackSkaven
      • Iain Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
          atheniag wrote:

          > Bandai licensed "Mai Otome" under the inexcusable title "My Otome." :-)
          >
          > I wish there was a way to reach out and slap them, really. :-)

          I dunno. Given the totally artificial and pointless absence of Mai from
          anything significant in the show, I don't really see why she shouldn't
          be dropped from the title, too.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
            >From: Iain Brown <iain@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] "My Otome" licensened
            >Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:24:56 -0600
            >
            >atheniag wrote:
            >
            > > Bandai licensed "Mai Otome" under the inexcusable title "My Otome." :-)
            > >
            > > I wish there was a way to reach out and slap them, really. :-)
            >
            >I dunno. Given the totally artificial and pointless absence of Mai from
            >anything significant in the show, I don't really see why she shouldn't
            >be dropped from the title, too.

            Because in both cases, "Mai" was a play on words. The word "Mai" also means
            dance and, in the case on"Mai Otome" referred not only to the character, but
            the battles between Otome which were called "butoh" (dancing) if I remember
            correctly.

            Changing it to "My" loses the single measure of complexity the show
            retained, and also makes no sense, as it at least did with "My HiMe."

            Mind you, I know no one cares - least of all the majority of the audience -
            but come on, we're not stupid. Just leave the damn name alone.
            <grumblegripemumble>

            Awards´┐Ż http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2
          • Iain Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
              Erica Friedman wrote:

              >> I dunno. Given the totally artificial and pointless absence of Mai from
              >> anything significant in the show, I don't really see why she shouldn't
              >> be dropped from the title, too.
              >
              > Because in both cases, "Mai" was a play on words. The word "Mai" also means
              > dance and, in the case on"Mai Otome" referred not only to the character, but
              > the battles between Otome which were called "butoh" (dancing) if I remember
              > correctly.

              Oh, I know. "My HiME" always bugged me (I do agree that it made
              marginally more sense than "My Otome"), and I never did understand why
              the subbers couldn't just settle for "battle-dance" instead of
              "Mai-battles" and other silliness.

              > Changing it to "My" loses the single measure of complexity the show
              > retained, and also makes no sense, as it at least did with "My HiMe."
              >
              > Mind you, I know no one cares - least of all the majority of the audience -
              > but come on, we're not stupid. Just leave the damn name alone.
              > <grumblegripemumble>

              Yep, I agree. I'm just saying there were equally stupid decisions made
              on content as there are on presentation.

              I s'pose that "My Otome" might make sense for marketing, giving
              continuity of titles, but that doesn't make it any less dumb.