Fishing for Yuri in Kami-chama Karin

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
      Hello all -

      I'm still home sick (Doctorine tells me that it's "some unknown
      infection" - isn't that helpful? And she thinks she's being funny
      when she asks me if I might be pregnant. She should quit her day job
      and become a comedian...) and still bored, so I was digging through
      the wife's manga piles for something entertaining.

      I remembered she had recommended "Kami-chama Karin" on the basis of
      the loose connection to Greek Mythology, and I remembered I avoided
      it because of the title. lol

      It's by Koge-donbo, the author of Pita-Ten, something else that pops
      up on yuri lists that I have no intention of reading/watching. :-)

      I'm all of two volumes in, when the obvious dawned upon me and lo and
      behold! it's fake yuri! LOL

      The main character Karin has learned she has the powers of the
      goddess Athena. Her protector and ultimately real love interest is
      Kazune, who has Apollo's powers. Her enemy, Kirio, is dark-haired and
      Ares, so we know he's the bad guy. Kirio has a cousin, Kirika. He is
      schmoozing Karin hard and she's fallen hard. Right now, she thinks
      he's her love interest. lol

      I was wracking my admittedly tired brain to figure out who Kirika was
      because, after all, Ares does not play nice with most of the other
      gods. Except one.

      Y'all will have noticed already that Kirika is usually a girl's name.
      And like a doofus, I was missing the connection between Kirika and
      the "mysterious goddess" who kept appearing.

      Anyone who knows Greek mythology will see where I'm going with this -
      Kirika is, obviously, Aphrodite. And *she* is working hard at
      seducing Karin.

      I have no doubt that the yuri will be explained away - Kirika is
      really a guy but becomes Aphrodite when he transforms, or some such.
      But hey, I can stop reading here and pretend. LOL

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007

        > Kirika is, obviously, Aphrodite. And *she* is working hard at
        > seducing Karin.
        >
        > I have no doubt that the yuri will be explained away - Kirika is
        > really a guy but becomes Aphrodite when he transforms, or some such.
        > But hey, I can stop reading here and pretend. LOL

        Wrong again, Erica! Kirika *is* a girl. When Karin discovers her
        secret, she (Karin) admits that she really did have feelings for
        Kirika, and Kirika says that she had her own crush on Karin, "woman to
        woman."

        That's it for them. I wouldn't put either on "The List" but it was a
        nice moment. :-)

      • Shannon J. L.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007
          English manga or just in Japanese so far?
          :)

          Sounds cute.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2007
            >From: "Shannon J. L." <shanejayell2000@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Fishing for Yuri in Kami-chama Karin
            >Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:37:40 -0000
            >
            >English manga or just in Japanese so far?
            >:)
            >
            >Sounds cute.

            This is the English language version, which we have up to Volume 5. There
            may be more, I haven't looked. It is cute - excessively so. :-)

            Spaces