Dorama yuri (kinda sorta)

  • Timothy Nelson-Hoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
      One of the new J-drama this winter is "Haken no Hinkaku" or "A Temp's
      Dignity." It's an office sitcom based on a government report indicating
      that since the loosening of government regulation of dispatch agencies
      in the mid-nineties, the number of temp workers had increased dramatically.
      Thrilling, right?
      Anyway, the main character is Oomae Haruko, a super temp worker who is
      competent at pretty much everything (driving construction vehicles,
      filleting tuna, speaking Russian, wielding staplers), but is completely
      indifferent to anything outside her job description. She does what
      she's hired to do (using the above wacky skills, because this is a
      sitcom), but shows no warmth or concern for her co-workers or the
      company at large. This is in contrast to the full-time employees, who
      work overtime for the sake of the company, and the other temps, who run
      errands outside their job description because they're on the bottom rung
      and they can't really refuse. Haruko's behavior is pretty much the
      opposite of the Japanese workplace ideal, and Haruko herself is also
      very non-conformist. She has a secret life as a Flamenco dancer (where
      she smiles and has a fairly normer personality) in a club run by her
      foster mother, and apparently wanders around Andalusia with Catalan
      gypsies when she's not working. But in spite of (and/or because of) her
      deliberately antisocial tendencies, she's a really appealing character
      (to me, anyway, and apparently to a lot of viewers, since the series has
      been getting really strong ratings).
      The yuri (such as it is; I admit I had the goggles turned up pretty
      high) comes in the form of Mori Miyuki, a recent college graduate with
      no real job experience or skills. Miyuki is in awe of Haruko's
      competence, and has one-sidedly declared Haruko to be her Sempai and her
      only friend. She ends the first episode by declaring to her "Sempai,
      I'll follow you my whole life long!" and constantly treats Haruko like
      she's an ideal, caring sempai even though she's rebuffed (almost) every
      time she asks her for advice or help. Of course there are exceptions,
      and Haruko does help Miyuki in various ways each episode (but not
      because she likes her, or course, she was just forced by circumstances,
      really). Miyuki was also the first to discover Haruko's secret life as
      a personality-having flamenco dancer, and has been hanging out at the
      bar where she dances.
      Ok, so there's not much real romantic potential and I'm 99% sure that
      both women will end up romantically attached to men by the end of the
      series, but the show keeps foiling my brain's efforts to not look for
      signs. Like the "whole life long" comment in the first episode, or when
      Miyuki starts off the second episode by telling Haruko about her
      underwear (the only mention of unmentionables in this very non-ecchi
      show) or the way she glows and bounces whenever she talks to Haruko
      after work. Also in the relationship chart on the show's website
      (charts are a standard feature of dorama websites that help us keep
      track of family ties, love polygons, and the like) Miyuki's relationship
      to Haruko is listed as "akogare."
      So yeah, don't watch this if you actually want to see the girl get the
      girl, but if you want to see a strong woman who doesn't take any crap
      from her full-time male co-workers, and another woman who's learning by
      example to not take crap from her co-workers, with the occasional yuri
      hint thrown in, you can find the raws at d-addicts.com. There's
      subtitle files on there too, although so far only for the first episode.

      Otsukare-sama,
      TNH
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Nelson-Hoy <tim.c.nh@...>
        wrote:

        > One of the new J-drama this winter is "Haken no Hinkaku" or "A
        Temp's
        > Dignity." It's an office sitcom based on a government report
        indicating
        > that since the loosening of government regulation of dispatch
        agencies
        > in the mid-nineties, the number of temp workers had increased
        dramatically.
        > Thrilling, right?

        Yuri or not, this sounds like total crack TV. I'll have to take a
        look. LOL