'Line' by Yua Kotegawa

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      I had finished reading a 4-volume manga series a while ago
      called 'Anne Freaks'. I didn't know what to think about it; it was
      depressing and morally disgusting, if still captivating regardless.
      Before I finished it, I bought the mangaka's (Yua Kotegawa) one-shot
      work released back in September, 'Line,' and I just merely read it
      right after 'Anne Freaks'.
      'Line' is about a high school girl named Chiko who finds a cell
      phone. The person on the other end tells her of the suicides taking
      place all over the city, and she was chosen to locate them and stop
      them from happening. She wonders how normal people could so easily
      choose death over life. She is accompanied by a stereotypical
      bookworm named Bando who literally tags along for the ride for the
      sake of excitement. She is creepy at first, because her lack of
      emotion and expression and the way she seems to study Chiko and take
      an interest in the twisted cell phone game seemed to indicate she is
      involved, but it turns out she isn't.
      Yuri? When Chiko gathers with her friends midway through the
      story, they tell her they believe Bando is a lesbian; why else would
      she have kept staring at Chiko the way she did in school? Why else
      would she have an interest in being by Chiko's side? Chiko then
      remembers the moment where she almost fell, Bando grabs her by
      hugging her from behind, and then just holds onto her for a longer
      time than necessary. When Chiko dwells on the possibility, she
      doesn't seem appalled; she doesn't have much of a reaction at all
      besides mild surprise, although that could partially be because of
      the plot she's enwrapped in. Later, when she trips, and Bando grabs
      her arm, Chiko just gives her a curious, friendly-smiling look, and
      that's all. In the end, Chiko is more concerned with establishing
      connections with people in general to enjoy life, including her
      newfound friendship with Bando.
      Chances are Bando may not have special feelings for Chiko; she may
      have been so interested in her mainly because she thought Chiko would
      be her excuse for experiencing something new in life, and to start an
      unusual friendship. On the other hand, I wouldn't know how else to
      explain her one brief moment of intimacy; it's all just implicated.
      I'd like to think it's possible their friendship goes somewhere after
      the end of the manga.
      The story as a whole makes 'Line' a weird little manga with some
      disturbing imagery. So was 'Anne Freaks,' but next to that
      one, 'Line' was a great uplifting relief.--Sincerely, Pachy_Boy