Tactical Roar - Revisited

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2007

      So, my first impressions were pretty spot on.  It's a so-so series. Interesting premise and background, but barely developed at all. Animation varies from OK to sloppy, except the obvious CGI parts.

      The only definitive ones are the EPL "sister" team of Flood and Float  I'm not sure whether or not they are actually flesh and blood sisters, but they definitely have a physical relationship with each other.  Plus Flood, the older sister, is voiced by Satou Rina (Tsutako) and Float is voiced by Watanabe Akeno (Jo - Bakuretsu Tenshi)  So, we score on the 6 Degrees of Yuri scale as well. Flood appears to be the more psychotic of the two and Float is an EGL, (Elegant Gothic Lolita) . . .mmm, EGL. . . . :-D
      Also Weapons Officer Clio Aquanote ( v: Rio Natsuki - Akari Kanzaki) While she endlessly teases the male lead, probably because it makes him so uncomfortable, she keeps referring to all the women on the ship she's been with, and spends most of the first episode, going from one lunch date to another and then running away from her large group of admirers in that episode and one other.
      Also a couple of maybes: Tanya L. Kojima, the ship's XO. Seems to have a thing for the Captain of the ship, but since the Captain is involved in the standard triangle with the male lead, this goes nowhere.
      Also, Estrella Jardin-Mar, 14 y.o. Vice President of the country of East Luz. Greets beautiful women with a kiss on the lips, because "it's the highest form of friendship." Probably just a quirk for service, but there are weaker entries on The List. ;)

      The show also features other 6 degrees of Yuri seiyuu in mostly straight roles here. Nakahara Mai (Nagisa - StoPani, Mai - MaiHiME/Otome) plays the Captain, Misaki Nanaha; Ueda Kana (Yumi,) plays Crew Chief, Fukami Sango; Takahashi Mikako (Rodoreamon), plays Pilot Watatsumi Tsubasa; and Noto Mamiko (Shimako)  who is known as Hakubi now, but used to be known as Koyomi, in a seemingly critical back story plot thread that's never fully developed. She's on the bad guy side, but it's hard for me to believe Shimako is evil. ;)

      So, there you go. It's unlicensed, but there's a batch torrent of this still available, since Yoroshiku only finished subbing it around Christmas. You can find it at the usual places.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
        From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Tactical Roar - Revisited
        >Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:15:55 -0500

        >So, there you go. It's unlicensed, but there's a batch torrent of this
        >still available, since Yoroshiku only finished subbing it around
        >Christmas. You can find it at the usual places.

        Okay, so I'm home sick and bored out of my mind. Is it worth watching? You
        know my predelictions. :-)

        Live.com page.
        http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007

          From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
          Subject: [Yuricon] Tactical Roar - Revisited
          Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:15:55 -0500

          So, there you go. It's unlicensed, but there's a batch torrent of  this
          still available, since Yoroshiku only finished subbing it around
          Christmas. You can find it at the usual places.

          Okay, so I'm home sick and bored out of my mind. Is it worth watching? You
          know my predelictions. :-)

          Only if you're *really* bored. Like I said, it's so-so. You'd probably find the fan-service grating and most of the characters annoying and worthless. You might be more entertained watching it download.

          -==-

          Serge

          http://ximatl.blogspot.com

          http://albikal.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Tactical Roar - Revisited
            >Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:15:19 -0500

            >Only if you're *really* bored. Like I said, it's so-so. You'd probably
            >find the fan-service grating and most of the characters annoying and
            >worthless. You might be more entertained watching it download.

            LOL

            I'll take that into consideration. And btw - you made P laugh out loud. :-)

            something more.
            http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
          • Resop
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
              This is the last place I would expect to find yuri: La Corda D'Oro ~primo
              passo~ (TV). This is a show that at first glance wants to include every
              reverse harem shoujo manga cliche you can think of (every single guy in the
              cast is a hotter female than the lead every girl). However, after a couple of
              episodes, one sees that the shoujo cliches are window dressing to the main
              force behind the story which is music.

              So, with 10+ super bishounen's, where's the Yuri? Well, in episode 6 the group
              goes on a field trip to the villa of one of the girls who is also one of the
              elite music students (Shoko Fuyuumi). The lead girl (Kahoko Hino) is paired
              with her to share a bedroom, and when Hino tells Fuyuumi that she doesn't mind
              sharing a bed with her Fuyuumi who had been blushing and stammering before all
              but starts a massive nosebleed with her over-reaction.

              Or, maybe this is reverse harem anime wish fulfillment, that the lead character
              (who is one step behind plain) has such purity of heart that everyone in the
              cast falls in love with her, even the other girls?

              Worth further research.

              Craig
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:

                . And btw - you made P laugh out loud. :-)

                Score! That made my day. ;)
              • gee pal
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                  I do agree with Serge on that. It was totally lame
                  and even so with the idea that its gonna be 1 guy
                  surrounded by so many women that will end up with few
                  of them vying for his love,etc. wateva. I deleted the
                  whole thing after I watched a few eps.
                  And thanks Serge for making my nite. I laughed out of
                  my chair with the 'more entertained watching it
                  download'. That was funny hahahahahaaa :P

                  --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                  > On Feb 6, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Erica Friedman wrote:
                  >

                  > > From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                  > >> To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > >> Subject: [Yuricon] Tactical Roar - Revisited
                  > >> Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:15:55 -0500
                  > >
                  > >> So, there you go. It's unlicensed, but there's a
                  > batch torrent of
                  > >> this
                  > >> still available, since Yoroshiku only finished
                  > subbing it around
                  > >> Christmas. You can find it at the usual places.
                  > >>

                  > > Okay, so I'm home sick and bored out of my mind.
                  > Is it worth
                  > > watching? You
                  > > know my predelictions. :-)
                  >
                  > Only if you're *really* bored. Like I said, it's
                  > so-so. You'd
                  > probably find the fan-service grating and most of
                  > the characters
                  > annoying and worthless. You might be more
                  > entertained watching it
                  > download.
                  >
                  > -==-
                  > Serge
                  > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                  > http://albikal.blogspot.com

                  Cheap talk?
                  http://voice.yahoo.com
                • shenotski
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                    I also suggest Y:the lastman the titles basicly about every man on
                    earth dieing except for Yorick Brown and what happens to the world
                    after that. There's a good amount of yuri in this along with gender
                    bending. Including the main charecter Dr.Mann who's very much a lesbian.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                      >From: "shenotski" <duomaxwell@...>
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Yuri alert?
                      >Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:47:52 -0000
                      >
                      >I also suggest Y:the lastman the titles basicly about every man on
                      >earth dieing except for Yorick Brown and what happens to the world
                      >after that. There's a good amount of yuri in this along with gender
                      >bending. Including the main charecter Dr.Mann who's very much a lesbian.
                      >
                      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man

                      It's not a bad series. I did a review of it at Okazu, where I pointed out
                      that, for a pretty decent series, it still had a lot of incredibly stupid
                      things going on. lol

                      Dr. Mann is a good lesbian character, with cutting wit, and it's not her
                      fault that she's given an incredibly stupid backstory. :-)

                      http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG
                    • rwslaugh
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                        > >I also suggest Y:the lastman the titles basicly about every man on
                        > >earth dieing except for Yorick Brown and what happens to the world
                        > >after that. There's a good amount of yuri in this along with gender
                        > >bending. Including the main charecter Dr.Mann who's very much a
                        lesbian.

                        > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man
                        > >

                        > It's not a bad series. I did a review of it at Okazu, where I
                        pointed out
                        > that, for a pretty decent series, it still had a lot of incredibly
                        stupid
                        > things going on. lol
                        >
                        > Dr. Mann is a good lesbian character, with cutting wit, and it's not
                        her
                        > fault that she's given an incredibly stupid backstory. :-)

                        Have you read Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore? The series is
                        coming to a close soon. One of the main characters is bi-sexual with
                        a preference for women. The story, characters, and art are all good.
                        You should give it a look!

                        Regards,

                        Bob
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2007
                          >From: "rwslaugh" <rwslaugh@...>
                          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Yuri alert?
                          >Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:15:29 -0000
                          >
                          >Have you read Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore? The series is
                          >coming to a close soon. One of the main characters is bi-sexual with
                          >a preference for women. The story, characters, and art are all good.
                          > You should give it a look!

                          Stacy, one of the Yuricon staffers, tried to get me into it a while back,
                          but my system rejected the implant. :-)

                          I'm sorry to say, I really can't agree with you about the characters. As I
                          mention in Okazu from time to time, my one real measure of a series of any
                          kind is, "Would I want any of these people over my house for lunch?" And the
                          resounding answer for SiP is, "hell no." LOL

                          http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG
                        • kyanite_d
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 9, 2007
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                            > You might be more entertained watching it
                            > download.

                            Pffft!

                            "Worth"? No.
                            So-so? Yes.

                            [Thinking rationally about it I'd have to agree with Serge, but I
                            fail/refuse to be rational when it comes to anime/manga.]

                            It might make boredom less boring for a day or two, depending on how
                            much you can take in one sitting. I liked it, I liked the battle/
                            action scenes, the orchestral pieces of the OST, the sisters, Cloe,
                            Tanya, and also Nana-nee. I think it has its moments.

                            The fanservice in other anime has bothered me more, and the setup/
                            plot idea was interesting, even if it wasn't developed to its full
                            potential. *shrugs* I liked it better than Strawberry Panic *dodges
                            the tomatoes* :D Like I said, different standards and all... But is
                            is definitely more entertaining than the download. *pouts*

                            Snippets from the OST:
                            http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=a902536
                            http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=16e37d9
                            http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=9a8a02a
                          • Chalcahuite
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 9, 2007
                              On Feb 9, 2007, at 3:48 AM, kyanite_d wrote:

                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                              You know my predelictions. :-)

                              You might be more entertained watching it
                              download.

                              Pffft!

                              "Worth"? No.
                              So-so? Yes.

                              I guess it's my fault. I should have put a disclaimer like "YMMV" or something.  Since I was really just addressing Erica albeit in a public forum.

                              So, let me be clear now. Erica might be more entertained watching it download, as for the rest of you: Your Mileage May Vary.

                              I liked it, I liked the battle/
                              action scenes, the orchestral pieces of the OST, the sisters, Cloe,
                              Tanya, and also Nana-nee. I think it has its moments.

                              I didn't hate it and yes it had its moments. For me it started to pick up towards the end, as the plot started rolling, but then they ran out of episodes, and nothing was resolved in the main triangle, let alone any of the other plot threads they started toying with.

                              And I wonder if this is the most discussion this series has gotten.