Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
      Company Executive: "So, thanks for coming to today's meeting. We're
      here to discuss the newest work by 'Kaishaku.'" (everyone laughs
      politely) "Ahem. As you know, we've had a string of sucesses and we
      want to keep up the good work."

      Kaishaku (writer): "Well, yes, we've been thinking about that - and we
      have a great new, original idea that we want to..."

      Company Executive: "Whoa, whoa, hold on there. It's great that you've
      got these 'original' ideas, but you know we want another successful
      series."

      Kaishaku (artist): "Right, that's what we were thinking, so we've come
      up with some fabulous new character designs..."

      Company Executive: "Well, I don't think you're taking my meaning here,
      exactly. The series that you did a few years ago - the one with the
      mikos - that was awfully popular. Can't you do something similar?"

      Company Exec 2: "Yes, we've been discussing it and we've decided that
      the best course of action is to use similar...well, that is to say,
      the same character designs...and put them in a similar...by which we
      mean *very* similar situation."

      Kaishaku (artist and writer): "Fine. Got it. You want us to use the
      same names?"

      Company Executives: (laugh)

      Company Executive: "Heavens, no! This is your story, after all - we
      wouldn't want to get in the way of the creative process. By all means,
      choose any names you want."

      ***

      Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora is, as I like to think of it, a "cod-liver
      oil" anime. It got bad taste, and is kind of nasty, but we'll get used
      to it and in the end, convince ourselves that it was "good." LOL

      The main plot is totally straight. When it actually develops. At the
      moment there's just a passive blonde and a hunky princeling and giant
      fightin' robots. Perhaps we will eventually learn what's going on.

      Chikane and Himeko, as mentioned several times here, are reincarnated
      as Kaon and Himiko. They have a storyline of their own, but we'll have
      to watch the rest of the anime to follow it. Yuri love is requited
      this time, but still not without angst. :-)

      Personally, I'm just waiting on the appearnce of Waltesia, who is to
      be voiced by Ogata Megumi. Whoo-hoo!

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
        On Jan 16, 2007, at 9:49 AM, atheniag wrote:

        Personally, I'm just waiting on the appearnce of Waltesia, who is to
        be voiced by Ogata Megumi. Whoo-hoo!

        Damn. And here I thought I was going to be able to avoid this show. ;)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
          >Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:56:58 -0500
          >
          >On Jan 16, 2007, at 9:49 AM, atheniag wrote:
          >
          >>Personally, I'm just waiting on the appearnce of Waltesia, who is to
          >>be voiced by Ogata Megumi. Whoo-hoo!
          >
          >Damn. And here I thought I was going to be able to avoid this show. ;)

          Kaishaku will eat your brain, with or without your consent. :-)

          From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
          it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
            On 16-Jan-2007 10:10 -0500, Erica Friedman wrote:

            > Kaishaku will eat your brain, with or without your consent. :-)

            ...with a flute?
            .oO("(Someone wake me up I deaming again)" )
          • Robert Kelly
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
              atheniag wrote:

              >Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora is, as I like to think of it, a "cod-liver
              >oil" anime. It got bad taste, and is kind of nasty, but we'll get used
              >to it and in the end, convince ourselves that it was "good." LOL
              >
              >The main plot is totally straight. When it actually develops. At the
              >moment there's just a passive blonde and a hunky princeling and giant
              >fightin' robots. Perhaps we will eventually learn what's going on.
              >
              >Chikane and Himeko, as mentioned several times here, are reincarnated
              >as Kaon and Himiko. They have a storyline of their own, but we'll have
              >to watch the rest of the anime to follow it. Yuri love is requited
              >this time, but still not without angst. :-)
              >
              >Personally, I'm just waiting on the appearnce of Waltesia, who is to
              >be voiced by Ogata Megumi. Whoo-hoo!
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >Erica

              I bet my eye teeth* that there'll be people on the net who'll think this
              is the best thing since sliced orochi.

              Me, I'm here wondering if maybe clumsy, happy, friendly goofy girls for
              main characters have gone the way of the dodo and we'll be getting lots
              of moelicious otaku-bait for aeons...

              --

              ---
              Robert Kelly - "This is science, not 'Whack-A-Mole'."
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007

                > Chikane and Himeko, as mentioned several times here, are reincarnated
                > as Kaon and Himiko. They have a storyline of their own, but we'll have
                > to watch the rest of the anime to follow it. Yuri love is requited
                > this time, but still not without angst. :-)
                >
                > Personally, I'm just waiting on the appearnce of Waltesia, who is to
                > be voiced by Ogata Megumi. Whoo-hoo!

                So far, this anime is as rich in stolen memes as Strawberry Panic.
                The main character has a memorable encounter with a prince when she
                was very young (lifted from Utena). She narrates the story via
                letters she writes to her "Oujii-sama" (Oniisama E). Kissing used for
                powering-up? Where have we seen that recently?

                Regards,

                Bob
              • Johann Chua
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
                  On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 02:20 +0000, rwslaugh wrote:
                  > So far, this anime is as rich in stolen memes as Strawberry Panic.

                  Isn't spreading out as much as possible the whole point of memes?