Re: [Yuricon] your version of a maria-sama dub, if at all

  • Joy Bordador
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007

      Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:
      The Tagalog dub of Marimite was getting good, but it only made it to
      episode 9 or so. I think ABS-CBN realized they wouldn't be able to get
      away with saying that the show was about friendship (pag-kakaibigan), rather than love (pag-iibigan), in their promo.

      --> Oh, I thought it ended much sooner. My friends and I didn't sense it lasted for as long as 9 episodes. >_>0 ABS-CBN really shouldn't have bothered to dub it, at least not for the mainstream audience watching their local syndicated channel, ABS-CBN 2. (We're all still debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

      One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St Clare's,
      but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able to
      tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.

      --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American accent.

      --> As for myself, personally, I'd still rather see the Tagalog dubs if official language dubs must be done in our country. Some of them retain the nuances of the Japanese language in comparison to the American English dubs. ^_^

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • pachy_boy
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "pachy_boy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:
        >Patrick Swayze does a range of voices

        My goof. I meant 'John Swasey'; I confused him with that other
        actor.
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
          On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 19:21 -0800, Joy Bordador wrote:
          > debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's
          > straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your
          > input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

          HERO would've been better venue. Fewer restrictions on cable TV,
          probably at least one same-day replay, and it's not like the show had
          mass-market appeal like Inu-Yasha (which was the lead-in show). Looking
          back, it didn't seem like they did much promotion on channel 2, though
          people on their message boards were aware of it in advance.

          > One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St
          > Clare's,
          > but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able
          > tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.
          >
          > --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs
          > of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American
          > accent.

          St Clare's is set in the UK. I forget if any of the girls are American.

          It's weird that the show's been dubbed in lots of languages but not
          English (judging by Anime News Network's encyclopedia, in addition to my
          watching the Tagalog and Chinese dubs), when the original books were
          written in English. You'd think there'd be some market. Then again
          that seems to be the case for most anime based on English-language
          children's books.