Re: [Yuricon] Re: your version of a maria-sama dub, if at all

  • Carmen DiProspero
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
      --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

      > Media Blasters has quite a few Japanese-only DVDs.
      >
      > Seraphim Call, most of the Kitty line, Loveless.
      > They don't bother with
      > things like dubs, (or a new typeface for the subs
      > for the last ten years,
      > for that matter. Or punctuation.)

      Just one more Japanese-only Media Blasters release,
      "Sentimental Journey", which is based on the
      "Sentimental Grafitti" (if it's spelled incorrectly,
      my apoligies) PC game. I know for I have both that and
      "Seraphim Call".

      Carmen ^_^

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007
        The Tagalog dub of Marimite was getting good, but it only made it to
        episode 9 or so. I think ABS-CBN realized they wouldn't be able to get
        away with saying that the show was about friendship (pag-kakaibigan),
        rather than love (pag-iibigan), in their promo.

        One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St Clare's,
        but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able to
        tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.

        In Japan pretty much all anime voice work is done in Tokyo, so getting
        everyone in the same place at the same time isn't that big a problem.
        North American dubbing is done in several places, so scheduling is a
        little trickier if you want specific actors rather than who's available
        in a given area. Anime overdubs (ADR) generally pay less than pre-lay
        work for American animation, so established VAs often have to use an
        alternate name to get around union regs.

        It'd be nice to have an anime dub voice-directed by Andrea Romano, but
        that'd call for a media conglomerate budget.
      • pachy_boy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
          wrote:

          >I am not the biggest fan of dubs. For the reasons Serge gives -
          that they
          > actors and actresses are not given time/space to work together, so
          they
          > aren't able to actually *act*. They either read the lines or these
          days,
          > they try to act the parts against no one real, so everyone sounds
          a little
          > overplayed. Not the actor/actresses faults - they are doing the
          best they
          > can under the circumstances.

          It's not just Anime dub companies where the voice actors have to
          act their parts out solo without another actor to play off of. This
          happens in all American animation studios; it's actually very rare
          to have two actors in Disney and Pixar productions play off of each
          other; the only example I can think of where that's the case is 'El
          Dorado' (although that's Dreamworks).

          > Japanese VAs are incredibly talented voice actors/actresses, often
          with an
          > incredibly wide range of vocal abilities. American VAs simply
          don't have
          > that skill.

          Maybe not as much as Japanese VAs (Chris Patton does the same
          voice all the time), but there are still some American VAs who
          change their voices with different characters. Patrick Swayze does a
          range of voices, and you wouldn't always recognize Luci Christian
          doing a cute girl character in one series but also does the tough
          teenager in another series.--Pachy_Boy
        • Joy Bordador
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007

            Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:
            The Tagalog dub of Marimite was getting good, but it only made it to
            episode 9 or so. I think ABS-CBN realized they wouldn't be able to get
            away with saying that the show was about friendship (pag-kakaibigan), rather than love (pag-iibigan), in their promo.

            --> Oh, I thought it ended much sooner. My friends and I didn't sense it lasted for as long as 9 episodes. >_>0 ABS-CBN really shouldn't have bothered to dub it, at least not for the mainstream audience watching their local syndicated channel, ABS-CBN 2. (We're all still debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

            One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St Clare's,
            but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able to
            tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.

            --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American accent.

            --> As for myself, personally, I'd still rather see the Tagalog dubs if official language dubs must be done in our country. Some of them retain the nuances of the Japanese language in comparison to the American English dubs. ^_^

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • pachy_boy
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "pachy_boy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:
              >Patrick Swayze does a range of voices

              My goof. I meant 'John Swasey'; I confused him with that other
              actor.
            • Johann Chua
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
                On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 19:21 -0800, Joy Bordador wrote:
                > debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's
                > straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your
                > input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

                HERO would've been better venue. Fewer restrictions on cable TV,
                probably at least one same-day replay, and it's not like the show had
                mass-market appeal like Inu-Yasha (which was the lead-in show). Looking
                back, it didn't seem like they did much promotion on channel 2, though
                people on their message boards were aware of it in advance.

                > One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St
                > Clare's,
                > but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able
                > tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.
                >
                > --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs
                > of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American
                > accent.

                St Clare's is set in the UK. I forget if any of the girls are American.

                It's weird that the show's been dubbed in lots of languages but not
                English (judging by Anime News Network's encyclopedia, in addition to my
                watching the Tagalog and Chinese dubs), when the original books were
                written in English. You'd think there'd be some market. Then again
                that seems to be the case for most anime based on English-language
                children's books.