Re: [Yuricon] your version of a maria-sama dub, if at all

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2007
      I prefer subs. They are ussually more accurate and I'd hate to say it but a lot of american voice actors suck. It's the bitter reality but I tend to not be able to stand the american voices of anime characters. Often times the make the girl's voices higher like Usagi in sailor moon was terrible. They also tend to change the words around more then the subs do. Some have even gone so far as to even change characters. Poor Haruka and Michiru are victims of that. Though the Noir sub wasn't that bad they did increase the pitch of some of the characters voices. Truthfully I don't have many current shows to base this off of because I tend to avoid dubs as much as I can. If I could understand japanese better I would bipass translations all together and just go with the raws.

      Shane

      pachy_boy <pachy_boy@...> wrote:
      Since no one's started a topic for a while, I thought I'd give it
      a shot.
      If Maria-Sama were ever licensed, and they had to select a cast
      for a the dub version, who do you think would be good candidates for
      any of the characters?
      I can personally see Christine Auten playing Sei; she usually
      does all the tough girl roles (like Priss and Sakaki). Then again,
      it would probably be more interesting having her play one of the
      least likely characters, like Youko, or even Yumi. I don't know who
      else would play what character, although I could see Luci Christian,
      Monica Rial, Carrie Savage and Erika Weinstein (both of whom did
      Rakka and Reki) mixed in, perhaps playing the kinds of characters
      they hadn't before. This is all depending on which studio licenses
      it, of course.
      Also; what is everyone's opinions on dubs in general? I know some
      are personally biased against them. In most cases I like both the
      dubbed and subbed version in a way that they're almost
      interchangeable, while in other cases I see either the dubbed or
      subbed version being superior over each other. When I start a new
      show, it always depends on what mood I'm in in determining which
      version to watch first. I watch most Geneon shows subbed first, but
      when it comes to action shows (like My Hime and Gundam Seed or even
      the Final Fantasy movie) I would always watch it dubbed first,
      because I can't always follow or appreciate the visuals when I have
      to read the subtitles. I love Maria Sama the way it is, but if it
      were ever licensed, I would be curious to know what it would be like
      in English.--Sincerely , Pachy_Boy

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Resop
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 6, 2007
        I haven't watched any dubs in a while so I wouldn't know any of the
        newer people.

        I have seen Monica Rial at conventions and she reminds a little
        bit me of Tsutako.

        One thing I have noticed on dubs is that they use a lot of females
        in male roles (boy-type Ranma, Kenshin). Maybe they could find
        guys with high voices for Sei and Sachiko?

        Craig

        --- pachy_boy <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

        > Since no one's started a topic for a while, I thought I'd give it
        > a shot.
        > If Maria-Sama were ever licensed, and they had to select a cast
        > for a the dub version, who do you think would be good candidates for
        > any of the characters?
        > I can personally see Christine Auten playing Sei; she usually
        > does all the tough girl roles (like Priss and Sakaki). Then again,
        > it would probably be more interesting having her play one of the
        > least likely characters, like Youko, or even Yumi. I don't know who
        > else would play what character, although I could see Luci Christian,
        > Monica Rial, Carrie Savage and Erika Weinstein (both of whom did
        > Rakka and Reki) mixed in, perhaps playing the kinds of characters
        > they hadn't before. This is all depending on which studio licenses
        > it, of course.
        > Also; what is everyone's opinions on dubs in general? I know some
        > are personally biased against them. In most cases I like both the
        > dubbed and subbed version in a way that they're almost
        > interchangeable, while in other cases I see either the dubbed or
        > subbed version being superior over each other. When I start a new
        > show, it always depends on what mood I'm in in determining which
        > version to watch first. I watch most Geneon shows subbed first, but
        > when it comes to action shows (like My Hime and Gundam Seed or even
        > the Final Fantasy movie) I would always watch it dubbed first,
        > because I can't always follow or appreciate the visuals when I have
        > to read the subtitles. I love Maria Sama the way it is, but if it
        > were ever licensed, I would be curious to know what it would be like
        > in English.--Sincerely, Pachy_Boy
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • pachy_boy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

          > They also tend to change the words around more then the subs do.

          Part of the reason they do that is because when they do a literal
          translation of the Japanese dialogue, if spoken in English it wouldn't
          fit the mouth flaps, so they would have to restructure it. Then again,
          I do realize there are some titles where they take more liberties than
          they should; some funimation titles like Tenchi Muyo GXP is a prime
          example.
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 7, 2007
            Well, I've lost a lot of high-frequency hearing. So I go for the subs even when a dub is available. They are a positive BOON. So I guess I recuse myself from this question.

            Ellen Rose

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2007
              I hate hate hate dubs. Haven't seen any good ones ever.
              The original language it was made in is obviously always better
              because the animation is made to fit the voices. They record
              the voices first in Japan and then they make the animation.
              And as already mentioned, the voice actors for anime are
              horrible. They do a better job dubbing Disney movies.
              Prolly a budget issue.

              I really do hope there will never be a dub for Marimite. It's
              just impossible to imagine. How would you dub Sachiko's
              kanto and just the way all the characters talk. If they dub
              Marimite it will lose all it's charm.

              Anyway, I only watched dubs because of the lack of
              the original or for comedy purposes ;D

              ~Rosa_Gigantea
              (Lililicious Captain)

              http://www.lililicious.net
              #lililicious @ irc.rizon.net
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2007
                On Jan 7, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Wendy Mutsaarts wrote:

                I hate hate hate dubs. Haven't seen any good ones ever.
                The original language it was made in is obviously always better
                because the animation is made to fit the voices. They record
                the voices first in Japan and then they make the animation.

                I don't think this is completely true. Given the budget and time constraints of most shows, the mouth flaps are already animated by the time the voices are recorded and on the cheaper shows you'll notice a lot of timing mistakes like when the mouth starts flapping but no voice comes out for a beat or two or three. And as you would expect here, there is a noticeable talent drop off the cheaper the show.  But, in general, the Japanese industry tend to only concern themselves with the start and stop timing rather than matching the mouth flaps precisely.

                And as already mentioned, the voice actors for anime are
                horrible. They do a better job dubbing Disney movies.
                Prolly a budget issue.

                I thought the Cowboy Bebop dub was excellent, I preferred it to the sub, which is rare for me, as I've been a sub man since I started watching anime.
                Yes, budget does play a big part in the quality of productions. Disney, obviously, has a lot more money to put into a production than ADV does. There a couple of reasons why I prefer subs to dubs though: In Japan all the voices are recorded at the same time in a big studio, and usually the cast has at least run through the script once or twice, so chemistry can develop between the seiyuu, the American industry isn't built that way, voice over work doesn't pay all that well, unless you're an already established, read famous, actor, so most VAs usually have other work that they do. So it's rare to be able to get VA's in the same place at the same time, and ADR studios tend to be small, so the end result is that most VA's and dubs don't really get a feel for the characters until a few episodes are in the can, since they are usually playing off the director or someone's else pre-recorded track. (This becomes apparent if you've ever listened to dub outtakes, there's nobody else laughing.)
                The actors and dub directors are also more precise about timing, since it's far easier to notice timing mistakes in your native language than a foreign one. So there are technical pressures that can affect the quality of a dub. As it used to be the case back in the early days of the industry.
                I'd have to say that the other thing that bothers me about the dubs is the lack of variety in types of voices in the dubs that I've heard. I mean ranges, actually. Most of male voices tend to be tenors and most of the females tend to be altos, so all the voices occupy the same middle frequency ranges, and generally gets boring if everybody's speaking voice sounds similar.
                And you'll notice that a lot of the really talented voice actors are the ones that do all the kid's shows, but you rarely see those guys on the cast list for a dub, so that lend a little credence to the theory that dub work probably doesn't pay as well as other VO work. Which makes sense if you want to be able to make a profit.
                Oh, I just remembered, there's another factor here in play that doesn't apply to Japan: Actor's unions and work rules. Productions here in the states have the choice or either going union or non-union. Going union, generally means, that you get better actors, since all the big names belong to one or another, since Hollywood is a big union town (you have to belong to a union to work in Hollywood at all, I think), but it also means higher production costs, since you have to pay union wages. But if you go, or have to go, non-union those big names can't work for you unless they either use a pseudonym or forego a screen credit to avoid either a fine or dues or expulsion from the union.  So doing non-union work is a big risk for actors. Which is why most dub studios create their own VA pools, it isn't economically feasible for them to go union.
                After watching anime subbed and raw for over 20 years you tend to anticipate certain types of voices to fit certain types of characters, like every time there's a smarmy, sleazy pretty boy, I expect to hear Takehito Koyasu using his Touga voice. So, it's always noticeable when the villain character you're expecting to have a deep, booming monotone from has a high effeminate voice instead.  Besides it's a Japanese productions, of course, the Japanese voices are going seem more natural. It's like watching an American movie you've seen dubbed into Spanish or French, it may be well acted, but it still doesn't sound right, because you know the original language it was made in.
                But, I don't condemn the American ADR industry for this, at least not these days. Why? Again, it's the difference in how the industries are setup here and in Japan. In Japan, being a seiyuu is much more of a career choice than being a voice actor is here in the States, being a seiyuu is often a stepping stone to stardom for some, while being a voice actor is something that one tends to settle for when you're in between "real" gigs. So, the Japanese end up having a much bigger talent pool to work with than do the ADR people here in the States.
                Given these constraints it's no wonder ADR directors often say that they can't, won't, shouldn't or couldn't match the Japanese cast, aside from the desire to make a production their own, instead of just trying to ape the Japanese production.
                But, mainly I prefer subs, because I'm interested in the Japanese language and Japanese culture.

                I really do hope there will never be a dub for Marimite. It's
                just impossible to imagine. How would you dub Sachiko's
                kanto and just the way all the characters talk. If they dub
                Marimite it will lose all it's charm.

                Well, if Marimite were ever to be licensed by a NA company, a dub is almost a necessity. The economics of the NA anime industry today dictate that if you want even the slightest chance to recoup your initial investment, you need a dub. Why? because people prefer not to have to read their TVs. Unless a project was a labor of love and they can afford not to make money or even break even, I don't think you are going to see many sub-only releases from NA companies. The only one I can think of at the moment is ADV's City Hunter TV series.
                As to the problem of dialects and accents, I don't think there's much that any ADR director is going to be able to do to get it perfect, even if they wanted to. The two languages are just too different, I think. So, I think just like translators often have to find a close approximation for something where there is no English equivalent, ADR directors often have to find something that suggests the differences inherent between Osaka-ben or Kyoto-ben or even the different formalities, if they are so inclined.
                I think a lot of NA companies initially shied away from subtleties of the Japanese language mainly for fear that it would make their production less accessible to an American audience and that American audiences were, perhaps, not sophisticated enough to understand or care about honorifics, modes of address, differences of formality or what Osaka-ben or Kyoto-ben says about a character. Which I don't think is an unreasonable presumption, given how parochial Americans are generally perceived to be.
                But, this maybe starting to change, albeit slowly. I think that even the casual anime fans in the States today tend to be more open to the cultural differences than they were 10 years ago. Hopefully as the audience matures, so will the industry in this respect.
                Getting back to Marimite, I think that if any company does pick it up, they will do so, knowing full well the level of fan scrutiny will be extremely high for their production of it.  It's a fine line a company has to walk to try and please the hardcore fans, a full capitulation may mean only modest/niche sales, while a more mainstream production will mean constantly full inboxes and forums full of fanboys screaming about how you are "teh suck." If they're smart, they'll enlist the aid of fans from the get go, like Kadokawa and Bandai have done for Haruhi. You won't end up pleasing everybody, but you've at least demonstrated that you cared enough about getting it right that it, hopefully, won't hurt you either way.
                As for who I'd cast in a Marimite dub, I don't know any of the America VAs well enough to begin to even guess. And frankly, if it comes to pass that Marimite gets licensed, and they involve the fans in the American production of the dub in the same vein as Kadokawa and Bandai, then frankly I won't really care much. I'd be more concerned that the sub is as accurate as possible, and that we get a lot of the same character goodies the fans in Japan got.

              • pachy_boy
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2007
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

                  > But, mainly I prefer subs, because I'm interested in the Japanese
                  > language and Japanese culture.

                  That was partially my reason for watching only the subs for a
                  while, so I could get into the language and learn it. I know most
                  basic Japanese phrases and honorifics; after a while I decided I was
                  content with that. With everything going on in my life, such as my
                  fulltime job and my commitment to my writing, I just don't have the
                  time to really come close to mastering the language. Partially because
                  of that, I don't find it as important as I used to in exclusively
                  watching Anime subbed. But I'm still very much into learning new parts
                  of Japanese culture whenever I can--Pachy_Boy
                • Iain Brown
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Chalcahuite wrote:

                    > I thought the Cowboy Bebop dub was excellent, I preferred it to the sub,
                    > which is rare for me, as I've been a sub man since I started watching
                    > anime.

                    I think Cowboy Bebop is the only case where I prefer the dub. They cast
                    the perfect VAs for the three main roles, and they did a great job. (I
                    still find it amusing hearing "Spike" yelling at me from time to time in
                    EQ2...)

                    The only other dub I can think that comes close is "The Place Promised
                    in our Early Days". ADV did an outstanding job there. Unfortunately,
                    it's competing against Japanese VA's hand-selected by Shinkai, including
                    Yuuka Nanri as Sayuri, so even there I prefer the sub. I'd definitely
                    praise ADV highly for their rendition, though.
                  • pachy_boy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Iain Brown <iain@...> wrote:
                      > I think Cowboy Bebop is the only case where I prefer the dub. They
                      cast
                      > the perfect VAs for the three main roles, and they did a great job.
                      (I
                      > still find it amusing hearing "Spike" yelling at me from time to
                      time in
                      > EQ2...)
                      >
                      > The only other dub I can think that comes close is "The Place
                      Promised
                      > in our Early Days". ADV did an outstanding job there. Unfortunately,
                      > it's competing against Japanese VA's hand-selected by Shinkai,
                      including
                      > Yuuka Nanri as Sayuri, so even there I prefer the sub. I'd
                      definitely
                      > praise ADV highly for their rendition, though.

                      I agree on The Place Promised in our Early Days. But I've also heard
                      of Anime purists who even thought the dub versions to Fullmetal
                      Alchemist and Hellsing were superior to or are at least as good as the
                      Japanese audio. It may have to do with the fact the characters in
                      these shows are English, and the seiyuu can't always get the English
                      pronounciations and accents right; these two specific shows just feel
                      more closer to home when in English. In ROD the TV, the three main
                      heroines have English names. When the Seiyuu say Maggie's name, the
                      best they can say it is to pronounce it 'Ma--ee.'--Pachy_Boy
                    • Iain Brown
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                        pachy_boy wrote:

                        > I agree on The Place Promised in our Early Days. But I've also heard
                        > of Anime purists who even thought the dub versions to Fullmetal
                        > Alchemist and Hellsing were superior to or are at least as good as the
                        > Japanese audio. It may have to do with the fact the characters in
                        > these shows are English, and the seiyuu can't always get the English
                        > pronounciations and accents right; these two specific shows just feel
                        > more closer to home when in English. In ROD the TV, the three main
                        > heroines have English names. When the Seiyuu say Maggie's name, the
                        > best they can say it is to pronounce it 'Ma--ee.'--Pachy_Boy

                        I haven't seen FMA yet (a sad gap in my education, I know), but speaking
                        as a Brit... I *can't* watch Hellsing dubbed. Dick Van Dyke did a better
                        British accent than those VAs, they make me cringe :)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: your version of a maria-sama dub, if at all
                          >Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:38:01 -0500
                          >
                          >On Jan 7, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Wendy Mutsaarts wrote:
                          >
                          >>I hate hate hate dubs. Haven't seen any good ones ever.

                          I am not the biggest fan of dubs. For the reasons Serge gives - that they
                          actors and actresses are not given time/space to work together, so they
                          aren't able to actually *act*. They either read the lines or these days,
                          they try to act the parts against no one real, so everyone sounds a little
                          overplayed. Not the actor/actresses faults - they are doing the best they
                          can under the circumstances. For me the major issue is the gratuitous
                          misprnounciation of names. Drives me downright batty.

                          But I do think there have been some dubs that hold up. For anyone who has
                          seen it, the Shinesman dub is a stand-out. The dub dialogue is funnier,
                          hands down, than the sub.

                          Both Tenchi (original TV series) and Fushigi Yugi dubs were no worse than
                          the original language tracks. For Fushigi Yugi, there were moments when we
                          switched back to English, because Chibi-Usa, erm, Miaka's voice, was so
                          annoying.

                          The Patlabor second movie is a misery as a story, but the dub was fine - and
                          in the case of Clancy, you can finally hear her as the American she's
                          supposed to be. lol

                          But overall, I prefer subs or raw over dubs.

                          >I'd have to say that the other thing that bothers me about the dubs is the
                          >lack of variety in types of voices in the dubs that I've heard. I mean
                          >ranges, actually. Most of male voices tend to be tenors and most of the
                          >females tend to be altos, so all the voices occupy the same middle
                          >frequency ranges, and generally gets boring if everybody's speaking voice
                          >sounds similar.

                          Agreed.

                          Japanese VAs are incredibly talented voice actors/actresses, often with an
                          incredibly wide range of vocal abilities. American VAs simply don't have
                          that skill.

                          >Well, if Marimite were ever to be licensed by a NA company, a dub is
                          >almost a necessity. The economics of the NA anime industry today dictate
                          >that if you want even the slightest chance to recoup your initial
                          >investment, you need a dub. Why? because people prefer not to have to read
                          >their TVs. Unless a project was a labor of love and they can afford not to
                          >make money or even break even, I don't think you are going to see many
                          >sub-only releases from NA companies. The only one I can think of at the
                          >moment is ADV's City Hunter TV series.

                          Media Blasters has quite a few Japanese-only DVDs.

                          Seraphim Call, most of the Kitty line, Loveless. They don't bother with
                          things like dubs, (or a new typeface for the subs for the last ten years,
                          for that matter. Or punctuation.)

                          >As to the problem of dialects and accents, I don't think there's much that
                          >any ADR director is going to be able to do to get it perfect, even if they
                          >wanted to. The two languages are just too different, I think. So, I think
                          >just like translators often have to find a close approximation for
                          >something where there is no English equivalent, ADR directors often have
                          >to find something that suggests the differences inherent between Osaka-ben
                          >or Kyoto-ben or even the different formalities, if they are so inclined.

                          And even when they do try, like with Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, or Shizuru
                          from Mai-Hime, it backfires and sounds meh.

                          >I think a lot of NA companies initially shied away from subtleties of the
                          >Japanese language mainly for fear that it would make their production less
                          >accessible to an American audience and that American audiences were,
                          >perhaps, not sophisticated enough to understand or care about honorifics,
                          >modes of address, differences of formality or what Osaka-ben or Kyoto-ben
                          >says about a character. Which I don't think is an unreasonable
                          >presumption, given how parochial Americans are generally perceived to be.

                          Except that I have to argue - who are you selling these DVDs to? How many
                          causal observers who knew little to nothing about anime picked up My HiMe,
                          or ROD The TV? Compared with how many a priori fans of the series?

                          Is it really a logical assumption? Sure, if you're talking about series that
                          got Cartoon Network airtime, then yes, it's logical. But for series that go
                          straight to DVD release here? I don't think so. The people who are buying
                          these disks are the fandom - they already know the stuff in the series, the
                          accents, the cultural relics - and when they don't educating them is a good
                          idea. I don't ever agree with playing down to LCD, even if it means you lose
                          economies of scale. (Which is why ALC is always bleeding money. LOL)

                          >But, this maybe starting to change, albeit slowly.

                          Yes.

                          More manga, especially, is keeping honoriffics and adding in detailed notes
                          so those who are interested can learn.

                          I think that even
                          > the casual anime fans in the States today tend to be more open to the
                          >cultural differences than they were 10 years ago. Hopefully as the
                          >audience matures, so will the industry in this respect.

                          Agreed. We've come a tremendously long way in just five years. Five more,
                          and things will be different again.

                          >Getting back to Marimite, I think that if any company does pick it up,
                          >they will do so, knowing full well the level of fan scrutiny will be
                          >extremely high for their production of it.

                          But will they care. That's the issue.

                          >As for who I'd cast in a Marimite dub, I don't know any of the America VAs
                          >well enough to begin to even guess. And frankly, if it comes to pass that
                          >Marimite gets licensed, and they involve the fans in the American
                          >production of the dub in the same vein as Kadokawa and Bandai, then
                          >frankly I won't really care much. I'd be more concerned that the sub is as
                          >accurate as possible, and that we get a lot of the same character goodies
                          >the fans in Japan got.

                          Amen my brother. :-)

                          Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
                          www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                            Hi all -

                            I'm back from Japan and Comiket. It was a blast. I spent wayyyyyyyy too much
                            and still missed stuff I wanted. LOL

                            Thanks to Serge for keeping his Big Brother eye on you all. (o)

                            If you want to know what we did and what we bought, you can find the tales
                            of travel on Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com

                            Reviews of the stuff I got will come as I get to everything!

                            From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
                            it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
                          • Carmen DiProspero
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 8, 2007
                              --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                              > Media Blasters has quite a few Japanese-only DVDs.
                              >
                              > Seraphim Call, most of the Kitty line, Loveless.
                              > They don't bother with
                              > things like dubs, (or a new typeface for the subs
                              > for the last ten years,
                              > for that matter. Or punctuation.)

                              Just one more Japanese-only Media Blasters release,
                              "Sentimental Journey", which is based on the
                              "Sentimental Grafitti" (if it's spelled incorrectly,
                              my apoligies) PC game. I know for I have both that and
                              "Seraphim Call".

                              Carmen ^_^

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Johann Chua
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007
                                The Tagalog dub of Marimite was getting good, but it only made it to
                                episode 9 or so. I think ABS-CBN realized they wouldn't be able to get
                                away with saying that the show was about friendship (pag-kakaibigan),
                                rather than love (pag-iibigan), in their promo.

                                One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St Clare's,
                                but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able to
                                tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.

                                In Japan pretty much all anime voice work is done in Tokyo, so getting
                                everyone in the same place at the same time isn't that big a problem.
                                North American dubbing is done in several places, so scheduling is a
                                little trickier if you want specific actors rather than who's available
                                in a given area. Anime overdubs (ADR) generally pay less than pre-lay
                                work for American animation, so established VAs often have to use an
                                alternate name to get around union regs.

                                It'd be nice to have an anime dub voice-directed by Andrea Romano, but
                                that'd call for a media conglomerate budget.
                              • pachy_boy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007
                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  >I am not the biggest fan of dubs. For the reasons Serge gives -
                                  that they
                                  > actors and actresses are not given time/space to work together, so
                                  they
                                  > aren't able to actually *act*. They either read the lines or these
                                  days,
                                  > they try to act the parts against no one real, so everyone sounds
                                  a little
                                  > overplayed. Not the actor/actresses faults - they are doing the
                                  best they
                                  > can under the circumstances.

                                  It's not just Anime dub companies where the voice actors have to
                                  act their parts out solo without another actor to play off of. This
                                  happens in all American animation studios; it's actually very rare
                                  to have two actors in Disney and Pixar productions play off of each
                                  other; the only example I can think of where that's the case is 'El
                                  Dorado' (although that's Dreamworks).

                                  > Japanese VAs are incredibly talented voice actors/actresses, often
                                  with an
                                  > incredibly wide range of vocal abilities. American VAs simply
                                  don't have
                                  > that skill.

                                  Maybe not as much as Japanese VAs (Chris Patton does the same
                                  voice all the time), but there are still some American VAs who
                                  change their voices with different characters. Patrick Swayze does a
                                  range of voices, and you wouldn't always recognize Luci Christian
                                  doing a cute girl character in one series but also does the tough
                                  teenager in another series.--Pachy_Boy
                                • Joy Bordador
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 9, 2007

                                    Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:
                                    The Tagalog dub of Marimite was getting good, but it only made it to
                                    episode 9 or so. I think ABS-CBN realized they wouldn't be able to get
                                    away with saying that the show was about friendship (pag-kakaibigan), rather than love (pag-iibigan), in their promo.

                                    --> Oh, I thought it ended much sooner. My friends and I didn't sense it lasted for as long as 9 episodes. >_>0 ABS-CBN really shouldn't have bothered to dub it, at least not for the mainstream audience watching their local syndicated channel, ABS-CBN 2. (We're all still debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

                                    One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St Clare's,
                                    but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able to
                                    tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.

                                    --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American accent.

                                    --> As for myself, personally, I'd still rather see the Tagalog dubs if official language dubs must be done in our country. Some of them retain the nuances of the Japanese language in comparison to the American English dubs. ^_^

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • pachy_boy
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
                                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "pachy_boy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:
                                      >Patrick Swayze does a range of voices

                                      My goof. I meant 'John Swasey'; I confused him with that other
                                      actor.
                                    • Johann Chua
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 10, 2007
                                        On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 19:21 -0800, Joy Bordador wrote:
                                        > debating whether or not Marimite would've done better in ABS-CBN's
                                        > straight-to-cable anime-only channel, though. I'd like to know your
                                        > input on the subject if you don't mind. v^_^v)

                                        HERO would've been better venue. Fewer restrictions on cable TV,
                                        probably at least one same-day replay, and it's not like the show had
                                        mass-market appeal like Inu-Yasha (which was the lead-in show). Looking
                                        back, it didn't seem like they did much promotion on channel 2, though
                                        people on their message boards were aware of it in advance.

                                        > One show I'd like to hear dubbed in English is The Twins at St
                                        > Clare's,
                                        > but only if it was done in the UK, though I probably wouldn't be able
                                        > tell the difference if it was done in Australia or New Zealand.
                                        >
                                        > --> Actually, there'd be a big difference in accents for all the VAs
                                        > of these countries if none of the VAs decide to adopt an American
                                        > accent.

                                        St Clare's is set in the UK. I forget if any of the girls are American.

                                        It's weird that the show's been dubbed in lots of languages but not
                                        English (judging by Anime News Network's encyclopedia, in addition to my
                                        watching the Tagalog and Chinese dubs), when the original books were
                                        written in English. You'd think there'd be some market. Then again
                                        that seems to be the case for most anime based on English-language
                                        children's books.