Re: Marimite revolution (was Re: [Yuricon] Re: [Semi OT] Why do girls prefer manga over American comics)

  • Resop
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 18, 2006
      --- josephglanvill <s0235438@...> wrote:

      > > For example, Yumi turns down Sachiko's rosary initially because
      > > Yumi didn't want Sachiko to make Yumi Sachiko's petite soeur
      > > without Yumi proving that she was deserving. Because of this,
      > > after Yumi proves that she is worthy, Sachiko gives Yumi the
      > > rosary in front of the statue of the Virgin Mary. Because of
      > > all this many of soeur couples at the school break up, feeling
      > > that they didn't have the same experience that Yumi and Sachiko
      > > had (and feeling empowered after Yoshino gives back her rosary
      > > to Rei).
      >
      > I fail to see how that has any kind of significance beyond the
      > local. They are concretes with no wider significance. Shakespeare
      > it is not. And it certainly is not Victor Hugo.

      Strange, I am neither female, lesbian, Japanese or Catholic, but I
      connected with that arc's theme of the fish out of water working hard
      to be accepted in a new world for the sake of winning a new friend.

      > Returning to anime for a few seconds, look at Oscar in "The Rose of
      > Versailles". She an almost pure-blooded Romanticist character, with
      > her central theme being a conflict of moral values. It's a really
      > first-rate piece of work, and - here's the point - its conflicts can
      > be generalised and applied to different situations. Anyone who has
      > ever come face to face with the manifest falsity of what they
      > _thought_ was the good can relate to Oscar.

      Especially if they are female and their father raised them to be a
      boy.

      Are you arguing that because you are not able to generalize the theme
      of an anime into something "universal" then it must be bad? I'm sure
      there are many on this mailing list who could make those generalizations
      for Marimite if you offer them an sufficiently large academic grant. ;)

      > And then there's Juri Arisugawa, whose theme is suffering and
      > overcoming that suffering - retaining her integrity. She is another
      > brilliant Romantic character (although, in terms of power, volition
      > and consistency of characterisation, I believe that Ruka is her
      > superior). Admitedly, "The Rose of Versailles" and "Revolutionary
      > Girl Utena" are entirely first-rank Romanticist series (hardly
      > surprising, given the general lack of it these days) they contain
      > some of the best portions of Romanticsism in anime that I can think
      > of.

      What about the Sei/Shiori arc? Is Marimite an inferior work because
      Sei becomes a dirty old man and shuns contact for months and months
      because she had her heart broke? It seemed like a realistic reaction
      to me.

      This whole thread is tough for me because I do not relate to anime in
      a "is it good literature" way any more than I relate to literature in a
      "it has a good beat and you can dance to it" way. I more relate to
      anime on a "OMG characters X/Y are teh smex" way.

      Craig