Re: [Yuricon] LFG: Because stereotypes are funnier.

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      "Fanloser": gender-neutral, and descriptive.

      On 12/5/06, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:

      On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 07:08 +0000, Jen wrote:
      > I know what fangirls are like. They are exactly like fanboys when they
      > get disappointed. I know what fanboys are like, just a goofy as
      > fangirls when they get starstruck. Its just an inescapable
      > connotation.
      >
      > We need a gender-neutral word, dammit, and "Fan" is just a tad too
      > dignified."

      We already do: Otaku. Unfortunately it's been defanged in non-Japanese
      usage. Geek and Nerd have also been made more palatable, even
      respectable, over the years, so we're at a dead end.

      --
      People with thick eyebrows need love too!
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to is
        more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's word,
        what jocks use on the nerds.

        In comics fandom, there's a term for really bad fanboys who haunt comic
        shops: Cat Piss Men. Because that's what they smell like due to their
        personal hygiene habits (or lack thereof). If you want, you can claim
        that it's "men" as in human beings rather than just the male half of the
        species, though I doubt that's what Paul T. Riddell had in mind when he
        came up with it.

        I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male virgins
        (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors), overgrown
        children. I think OC is a safe bet.
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...>
          wrote:

          > The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to
          is
          > more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's
          word,
          > what jocks use on the nerds.

          And what the nerds use on the jocks.

          > I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male
          virgins
          > (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors),
          overgrown
          > children. I think OC is a safe bet.

          If you don't want to offend. But the truth is that most obsessive
          fans are plain old losers.

          Let's bag this conversation as OT and pointless. Losers are us. Move
          on. Or feel free to take it elsewhere.