RE: [Yuricon] LFG: Because stereotypes are funnier.

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      And over the years, I've gotten used to being a comics freak, or a comics fiend. Nothing wrong with a bit of defanging.

      Ellen Rose

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        "Fanloser": gender-neutral, and descriptive.

        --
        People with thick eyebrows need love too!
      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to is
          more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's word,
          what jocks use on the nerds.

          In comics fandom, there's a term for really bad fanboys who haunt comic
          shops: Cat Piss Men. Because that's what they smell like due to their
          personal hygiene habits (or lack thereof). If you want, you can claim
          that it's "men" as in human beings rather than just the male half of the
          species, though I doubt that's what Paul T. Riddell had in mind when he
          came up with it.

          I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male virgins
          (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors), overgrown
          children. I think OC is a safe bet.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...>
            wrote:

            > The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to
            is
            > more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's
            word,
            > what jocks use on the nerds.

            And what the nerds use on the jocks.

            > I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male
            virgins
            > (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors),
            overgrown
            > children. I think OC is a safe bet.

            If you don't want to offend. But the truth is that most obsessive
            fans are plain old losers.

            Let's bag this conversation as OT and pointless. Losers are us. Move
            on. Or feel free to take it elsewhere.