Re: [Yuricon] LFG: Because stereotypes are funnier.

  • Johann Chua
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
      On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 07:08 +0000, Jen wrote:
      > I know what fangirls are like. They are exactly like fanboys when they
      > get disappointed. I know what fanboys are like, just a goofy as
      > fangirls when they get starstruck. Its just an inescapable
      > connotation.
      >
      > We need a gender-neutral word, dammit, and "Fan" is just a tad too
      > dignified."

      We already do: Otaku. Unfortunately it's been defanged in non-Japanese
      usage. Geek and Nerd have also been made more palatable, even
      respectable, over the years, so we're at a dead end.
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        And over the years, I've gotten used to being a comics freak, or a comics fiend. Nothing wrong with a bit of defanging.

        Ellen Rose

        On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 07:08 +0000, Jen wrote:
        > I know what fangirls are like. They are exactly like fanboys when they
        > get disappointed. I know what fanboys are like, just a goofy as
        > fangirls when they get starstruck. Its just an inescapable
        > connotation.
        >
        > We need a gender-neutral word, dammit, and "Fan" is just a tad too
        > dignified."

        We already do: Otaku. Unfortunately it's been defanged in non-Japanese
        usage. Geek and Nerd have also been made more palatable, even
        respectable, over the years, so we're at a dead end.

      • Katie
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
          "Fanloser": gender-neutral, and descriptive.

          --
          People with thick eyebrows need love too!
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
            The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to is
            more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's word,
            what jocks use on the nerds.

            In comics fandom, there's a term for really bad fanboys who haunt comic
            shops: Cat Piss Men. Because that's what they smell like due to their
            personal hygiene habits (or lack thereof). If you want, you can claim
            that it's "men" as in human beings rather than just the male half of the
            species, though I doubt that's what Paul T. Riddell had in mind when he
            came up with it.

            I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male virgins
            (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors), overgrown
            children. I think OC is a safe bet.
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...>
              wrote:

              > The problem with using "loser" is that the person being referred to
              is
              > more likely than not to receive sympathy. "Loser" is a bully's
              word,
              > what jocks use on the nerds.

              And what the nerds use on the jocks.

              > I've also seen basement-dwellers, 30-year-old (or older) male
              virgins
              > (like that automatically denotes a certain set of behaviors),
              overgrown
              > children. I think OC is a safe bet.

              If you don't want to offend. But the truth is that most obsessive
              fans are plain old losers.

              Let's bag this conversation as OT and pointless. Losers are us. Move
              on. Or feel free to take it elsewhere.