RE: [Yuricon] yuri history

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2006
      >From: "Sethite" <sethite_20@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] yuri history
      >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:33:33 -0000
      >
      >Hi
      >I'm working at the article about history of yuri for my friend's
      >fanzine. Do you know any good essays aor articles in the web which
      >touching this subject and which I could use as a sources?
      >Theres is quite easy to wrote about 70's and 90's but I have problems
      >with writing about 80's. Somebody help me, please.

      There are several excellent essasy covering the history of Yuri on the
      Yuricon Essays page: http://www.yuricon.org/essays

      The 80s was not a terribly good time for Yuri, which is why you see very
      little on that decade. The initial important series were in the 70s, and
      during the 80s and early 90s what few series there were often equated
      lesbianism with mental disease.

      A decent, but incomplete timeline of yuri manga series is on the Yuricon
      Essasy page as well, it's called the Shoujo Yuri Mnaga Guide. If you search
      some of the series mentioned in the 80s and early 90s on Okazu
      (http://okazu.blogspot.com) you'll find my reviews of the stories.

      I'm looking at the notes for my lecture at Univ. Illinois, and I notice that
      my section from 1975-1984 concerned the lesbian community, and the word
      Yuri, rather than specific series, and my anime/manga thread does not pick
      up again until Sailor Moon in 1992.

      These are my notes from "A Flower of One's Own: The Japanese Lesbian
      Community and Yuri Manga" presented at Univ. Illinois, Urbana-Champaign on
      March 03, 2006:

      2.5 1975 - 1984 Comiket, Subarashi Onnatachi

      With the increase of popularity of manga, the mid-70s saw a huge influx of
      fan participation. Fan created comics called doujinshi were becoming more
      popular. In 1975 a group was formed to develop the first fan comic market
      Comiket.

      By the time Comiket had formed, the word "Yurizoku" coined in 1971 to
      describe lesbians had been shortened to "Yuri" and been appropriated by
      these comic artists to describe no lesbians, but lesbian sex as drawn by
      them. The imagery of the lily had attached to lesbians permanently, but not
      in a way that most lesbians wanted to have anything to do with.

      In 1976 Subarashi Onnatachi, the first lesbian feminist newsletter
      (mini-komi) was begun. Disagreement over political ends forced it to suspend
      publishing after one issue, but other's followed: Hikari Guruma and Za Daiku
      in 1978.

      1984 saw the creation of Regumi no Gomame, which began the series of
      "Weekends", which were retreats for lesbians (and for women who did not
      define as lesbian but wanted to be in a male-less zone). This is considered
      by many lesbians now to be the start of the "lesbian community" in Japan.

      ***

      Looking over my notes, a few other key dates were 1995, when the first full
      size lesbian magazine, "Phryne" was published in Japan. It included manga,
      which is significant for us, since one of the manga it included was "Rica
      'tte Kanji!?" by Rica Takashima.

      In 2000, Yuricon was born as AniLesboCon. It was created specifically to be
      an international community for yuri fans - and ultimately to bridge the gap
      with Japanese yuri fandom.

      In 2003 ALC Publishing was created, largely because of a conversation
      between Rica and I about the lack of good Yuri manga that showed more
      realistic and HAPPY stories of lesbians together. That's one of the reasons
      we prefer to work with the popular doujinshi artists - because they are out
      there telling stories we like and which ring true, to us, rather than
      stories that use Yuri as a form of titilation or fetish.

      If you need more information on Yuri, please don't hesitate to email me and
      I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

      And a word of warning - don't quote the Wikipedia entry on Yuri...there are
      many random statements that are based on people's opinions, rather than
      scholarship or fact. I remember removing a whole list of series that had no
      Yuri whatsoever from it a while back, because the person who wrote it,
      couldn't tell the difference between Yuri in a series and series where
      people pair the characters in fanfic. :-)

      Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
      list.