Re: [Yuricon] Notes on Maria-sama ga Miteru 16 - Varie ty Gift, Introduction and Part 1

  • Jenny Chan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2006
      Hi Erica,

      My apologies for the lateness of this thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!! but I thought it was better to be late with these things than to never say them at all...

      I found this translation really fun to read, although I must admit that Book 15 was more captivating if only because... well... Sachiko in Gakuran...! -_-;;;

      It was kinda interesting to see the style changes between the different short stories, and I'm kinda curious as to whether the difference was at Konno-sensei's original stage, or your own translation stage. Somehow, it seems like the stories featuring the the main cast we all know and love had a bit more of that signature deliciously chunky flavouring, than the one-shot stories.

      The one-shot stories felt more streamlined and smooth; not quite native English, but certainly closer to it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it made the reading of these stories easier, which really helps when one isn't already emotionally attached to the characters. And the stories themselves were really charming! Out of all the stories (even the ones with the main cast), I found that I liked the Hikari/Kyouko story the best. High-school-shoujo-ai slice-of-life goes with a pinch of mysterious-new-age-fantasy like tea with a slice of lemon...

      Eriko didn't get very much attention in the anime compared to Sei and Youko, so it's more difficult to get attached to her, but her story certainly brought her closer to my heart. It's not really her troubles with Elephant-Guy that fleshes her out for me though, so much as the delicious way she screws with Yoshino's brain. ^_^

      Anyway, thanks again for your translation efforts! The last story kinda felt like getting a letter (on paper!) from an old friend, and I was all warm and fuzzy instead for a week from being able to read it. =P

      Cheers,

      Jenny

        thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!
        but I thought it was better to be late with these things than to
        never say them at all...

        Indeed.

        You, and Adam, since I hadn't replied to him, are most welcome. :-)

        > I found this translation really fun to read, although I must admit
        that Book 15 was more captivating if only because... well... Sachiko
        in Gakuran...! -_-;;;

        That pretty much sums up my feelings. :-)

        > It was kinda interesting to see the style changes between the
        different short stories, and I'm kinda curious as to whether the
        difference was at Konno-sensei's original stage, or your own
        translation stage.

        Definitely, there are many voice changes in the original, as we shift
        point of view. I did my best (which I am completely aware is not
        adequate to the task) to communicate those voices.

        > Somehow, it seems like the stories featuring the the main cast we
        all know and love had a bit more of that signature deliciously chunky
        flavouring, than the one-shot stories.

        I think so too. Mostly ecause we have a body of emotion and
        relationship to build on. With Hikari and Maki, Konno-sensei has to
        start from scratch and develop personality, situation and character
        all at the same time.

        (But I was happy that Maki and Kyouko managed to meet and would be
        able to be together.)

        > The one-shot stories felt more streamlined and smooth; not quite
        native English, but certainly closer to it. This isn't necessarily a
        bad thing; it made the reading of these stories easier, which really
        helps when one isn't already emotionally attached to the characters.

        They were *way* easier to translate. :-)

        Shouko's brain made my head hurt.

        There's a think you can do in Japanese that you cannot in English
        except for in a few special circumstances. In Japanese, you can have
        a sentence in which the just about nothing is assigned to a subject
        or object. So you might have "watching wind blow, walked by in a
        hurry." And one of those clauses *might* be me or it might ber her,
        or you, and the other one, someone else. Shouko did that alot. I
        wanted to strangle her. :-)

        > And the stories themselves were really charming! Out of all the
        stories (even the ones with the main cast), I found that I liked the
        Hikari/Kyouko story the best. High-school-shoujo-ai slice-of-life
        goes with a pinch of mysterious-new-age-fantasy like tea with a slice
        of lemon...

        :-)

        > Eriko didn't get very much attention in the anime compared to Sei
        and Youko, so it's more difficult to get attached to her, but her
        story certainly brought her closer to my heart. It's not really her
        troubles with Elephant-Guy that fleshes her out for me though, so
        much as the delicious way she screws with Yoshino's brain. ^_^

        I think that's where were supposed to be at. I loved Sei stasting so
        plainly that she did not do advice on male/female relationships.
        (Don't read too much into that - she's not saying "only gay ones".
        She was saying, "I am not Ann Landers.")

        > Anyway, thanks again for your translation efforts! The last story
        kinda felt like getting a letter (on paper!) from an old friend, and
        I was all warm and fuzzy instead for a week from being able to read
        it. =P

        Again, you're welcome - I'm very glad you enjoyed it.

        Translating these takes so much time and effort, I'm constantly
        fighting off the desire to say "screw it, no one cares" and stop. So
        thank you for the thanks - it does make a difference.

      • Colin Mayhill
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2006
          Well I'm even later to reply, but thought I ought to add my thanks too.
          I wouldn't have taken so long, except I realised part-way though that I
          hadn't read the last two either. So thanks a lot for those as well.

          > Translating these takes so much time and effort, I'm constantly
          > fighting off the desire to say "screw it, no one cares" and stop. So
          > thank you for the thanks - it does make a difference.

          As I've recently started trying to read some manga in Japanese, I can
          sort of appreciate how much work this takes. Or at least how much more
          work it must be compared to just reading the books yourself,
          particularly for the full translations. So thanks again for not giving
          up on them (at least not yet).

          Colin
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
            >From: Colin Mayhill <colinmayhill@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes on Maria-sama ga Miteru 16 - Variety Gift,
            >Introduction and Part 1
            >Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:30:44 +0000
            >
            >Well I'm even later to reply, but thought I ought to add my thanks too.
            >I wouldn't have taken so long, except I realised part-way though that I
            >hadn't read the last two either. So thanks a lot for those as well.

            You're very welcome for all of them. :-)

            > > Translating these takes so much time and effort, I'm constantly
            > > fighting off the desire to say "screw it, no one cares" and stop. So
            > > thank you for the thanks - it does make a difference.
            >
            >As I've recently started trying to read some manga in Japanese, I can
            >sort of appreciate how much work this takes. Or at least how much more
            >work it must be compared to just reading the books yourself,
            >particularly for the full translations. So thanks again for not giving
            >up on them (at least not yet).

            I learn alot from translating. The last thing I learned was that
            understanding how Japanese noun and verbs relate makes it easier to use
            translation programs a little more effectively.

            I hope to start the next novel "Ciao, Sorella" pretty soon. :-)

            trip!
            http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline
          • stonegarden@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006

              I finally got the time to read all that.  And now.... Thank you very much!  More adorableness from the girls.  Why are they so darn cute anyway?  Erica returns to "peck" at Yoshino to feel like her old self... Sometimes their witticisms surprise me...
            • Resop
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2007
                --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                I've been definitively following the translations. In an upcoming chapter to
                my fanfic "Ranma Half Moon" there's a scene at the formal ball where girl type
                Ranma (who at this point thinks that Tuxedo Kamen and Masoto Sanjoin are the
                same person) mentions to Naru Osaka that she danced with Naru's boyfriend and
                points to Tuxedo Kamen. Naru laughs (denying that Masoto Sanjoin was the same
                person that Ranma was pointing to) and mentions that Ranma must be rather new
                to being a girl because when a girl is in love she would recognize her beloved
                even if her beloved was wearing a panda suit, let alone a ball mask. (A homage
                to novel 14)