Spoilery reaction to Simoun episode 26

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
      SPOILER

      SPACE

      GOES

      HERE

      Well that was certainly very different from what I was expecting...
      As Susan put it on the AS forums, they decided to take the YKK route
      rather than aiming for a resolution.

      That was a very pretty way for the Plumbish priestesses to bid them
      farewell. Since they seem to know about the Emerald Ri Maajon, one
      can't help but wonder how much more they know of their history that
      Simulacrum has forgotten...

      I'd still love to know what exactly happened to Amuria. Perhaps the
      images through time of Neviril and Aaeru's Simoun suggest that they'll
      keep travelling together in the hope of finding her. I'd like to
      think that Aaeru could love and trust Neviril enough to grant her that.

      The image of the two of them, dancing in the evening light, was
      absolutely wonderful. (And we don't necessarily know /when/ it was.)

      Of course, having seen what's happening to Dominura, it's clear that
      there's no route to eternity out there. One day they'll all either
      have to end their travels and visit the Spring, or choose to turn
      to dust. "mono no aware" indeed.

      Poor Limone is clearly smart enough to know that she'll be left
      behind one day. What might she do then? (At least she'll have
      the memory of Dominura in /that/ dress, though. Yow.)

      I wonder where all the sibyllae from the past who they'd trained
      ended up? And what they did when they got there? (Also, they're
      mighty confident to be doing the Emerald Ri Maajon that low and
      close to the village...) What's the link with that trainee's
      hair ornaments?

      I didn't notice Rodoreamon's hairstyle initially whilst following the
      thread on 2chan. It's a wonderfully believable, melancholy touch.

      Nice to finally see what Paraietta was carving on the wall before
      they left. That must have taken her a while...
      .oO(":this is a possibly harmful message:" )
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Jones" <adam@...> wrote:

        > SPOILER

        > SPACE
        >

        > GOES
        >

        > HERE

        > Well that was certainly very different from what I was expecting...
        > As Susan put it on the AS forums, they decided to take the YKK route
        > rather than aiming for a resolution.

        I think you touched on just about everything I wanted to say, except
        to note that the holes, such as they are, in the narrative are not
        unsatisfactory to me. In fact, I have to wonder if they left them
        there to invite fan efforts.

        > That was a very pretty way for the Plumbish priestesses to bid them
        > farewell. Since they seem to know about the Emerald Ri Maajon, one
        > can't help but wonder how much more they know of their history that
        > Simulacrum has forgotten...

        They seem to know alot, certainly - perhaps the "peace" for all that
        it's really a capitulation indisguise for Simulacrum, might actually
        bring them more knowledge than they had originally.

        Wouldn't it be fascianting if, when they though they were fighting to
        preserve their way of life, they were actually fighting to lose it?

        > I'd still love to know what exactly happened to Amuria. Perhaps the
        > images through time of Neviril and Aaeru's Simoun suggest that
        they'll
        > keep travelling together in the hope of finding her. I'd like to
        > think that Aaeru could love and trust Neviril enough to grant her
        that.

        I wonder. If one of them made it through the remersion, then perhaps
        she isn't alive at all...except as a shadow or memory.

        > The image of the two of them, dancing in the evening light, was
        > absolutely wonderful. (And we don't necessarily know /when/ it
        was.)

        Exactly.

        > Of course, having seen what's happening to Dominura, it's clear that
        > there's no route to eternity out there. One day they'll all either
        > have to end their travels and visit the Spring, or choose to turn
        > to dust. "mono no aware" indeed.

        I liked how that point was made. A subtle stroke. In fact, Studio
        Deen has surpised me right through the series, being able to eschew
        thand of god writing for simple, subtle strokes that are much more
        evocative - even as they resolve less.

        This is about as far from Mai Hime as you can get...but done by the
        same people. Boggles, doesn't it?

        > Poor Limone is clearly smart enough to know that she'll be left
        > behind one day. What might she do then? (At least she'll have
        > the memory of Dominura in /that/ dress, though. Yow.)

        And Limone thought so too, obviously. I liked her disapproving
        face. :-)

        > I wonder where all the sibyllae from the past who they'd trained
        > ended up? And what they did when they got there? (Also, they're
        > mighty confident to be doing the Emerald Ri Maajon that low and
        > close to the village...) What's the link with that trainee's
        > hair ornaments?

        Those helmets reeked of some Ghibli-esque thing to me.

        > I didn't notice Rodoreamon's hairstyle initially whilst following
        the
        > thread on 2chan. It's a wonderfully believable, melancholy touch.

        I noticed it right away, but it didn't click. Literally - "Hmm, that
        hair, where have I seen it before?" lol It did make her look very
        grown up and competent business leader-y.

        > Nice to finally see what Paraietta was carving on the wall before
        > they left. That must have taken her a while...

        Yes, I was really hoping we would.

        By the way, the final tally on couples were: one gay, one straight,
        one lesbian. That works.

        Now that its over Adam, you and I must certainly staert writing. :-)
        I call Yun.

      • Adam Jones
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
          On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:05:22 -0000, "atheniag"
          <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Jones" <adam@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > SPOILER

          > > SPACE
          > >

          > > GOES
          > >

          > > HERE

          > I think you touched on just about everything I wanted to say, except
          > to note that the holes, such as they are, in the narrative are not
          > unsatisfactory to me. In fact, I have to wonder if they left them
          > there to invite fan efforts.

          I sincerely hope they (and we) get them, that's for sure.

          One thing I only just noticed on re-watching: the curtains on the Arcus
          Prima whilst Aaeru and Neviril are dancing. Can't believe I missed
          that the first time through... It very much lends weight to the
          "existing throughout time"/"becoming Tempus Spatium" side of the
          argument.

          > Wouldn't it be fascianting if, when they though they were fighting to
          > preserve their way of life, they were actually fighting to lose it?

          Absolutely. They were on the wrong side of an ancient schism. It's
          also not beyond the realms of possibility that at least a faction of
          the Plumbish priesthood saw their use of the Simoun for war as
          blasphemy - hence the suicide bombing.

          > > I'd still love to know what exactly happened to Amuria.
          > I wonder. If one of them made it through the remersion, then perhaps
          > she isn't alive at all...except as a shadow or memory.

          Perhaps... Certainly something to play with. But it's not necessarily
          the finding that matters - it's the journey.

          > > What's the link with that trainee's hair ornaments?
          > Those helmets reeked of some Ghibli-esque thing to me.

          I meant Limone's friend's rather familiar hair-clips.

          > Now that its over Adam, you and I must certainly staert writing. :-)
          > I call Yun.

          Works for me. I've yet to make up my mind what I'd like to write.
          There's so much Guragief/Anubituf slashiness (past and future);
          Neviril and Aaeru clearly need a *proper* kiss; Limone needs to realise
          (and come to terms with) what's happening to Dominura...
          .oO("I'm going to blow up the *entire* world!" )
        • Jekaterina Gudkova
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
            I was just wondering, having seen up to epi 16..

            Perhaps Amuria is IN the Simoun? What do we know of the driving force of the
            Simouns? Could it be the souls of former pilots? Could it be that Amuria's
            soul was absorbed in to the Simoun? With her drive and dedication.. it is
            plausible?

            What do you think, folks? Or is there something that will be reveiled later
            on in the series? And Dominura? I haven't seen yet what happened to her, but
            there is a place for her there as well, in the pantheon of Simoun gods..

            Kat

            The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
              On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:42:42 +0200, "Jekaterina Gudkova"
              <lightwing47@...> wrote:

              > I was just wondering, having seen up to epi 16..
              >
              > Perhaps Amuria is IN the Simoun? What do we know of the driving force
              > of the Simouns? Could it be the souls of former pilots?

              It's certainly a plausible theory that lots of us were throwing around
              at the time...

              > And Dominura? I haven't seen yet what happened to her

              Be patient. :)
              .oO("I'll get an AOL account." )
            • Susan Davis
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2006

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Jones" <adam@> wrote:
                > >
                > > SPOILER

                > > SPACE
                > >

                > > GOES
                > >

                > > HERE

                > By the way, the final tally on couples were: one gay, one straight,
                > one lesbian. That works.

                I count one gay, one straight, and *three* lesbian. Well, okay,
                two-and-a-half, given that one is widowed, but she still stayed
                faithful to her partner's memory for years after. And at least one
                single straight man... but given that scarf, only his hairdresser
                knows for sure.

                (And we still don't know the terms on which the sisters patched up
                their relationship.... ;-) )

                --
                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
              • Ashley
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                  *sobs*

                  ...it ended...

                  I liked Eclair, she was ebil. hehe

                  I was so hoping that Haurhi and Tamaki would kiss in the end. But it had
                  a nice ending, I liked it. They went slightly angsty during 25, but
                  atleast it wasnt just to be angsty for its own sake.

                  It was ended rather openly though... so maybe they will give it another
                  season? </wishful thinking>

                  Ashley
                • Ellen Kuhfeld
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                    It was lots of fun; and I'd not say the final episode was ORIGINAL, but it was satisfying. And open-ended enough to allow (as you hope) for more.

                    The most fun, perhaps, would be if they had a Lobelia Girls' Academy Zuka Club anime, where the Ouran crowd occasionally came by to throw monkey-wrenches.

                    Ellen Rose

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Ellen Kuhfeld wrote:

                      > It was lots of fun; and I'd not say the final episode was ORIGINAL,
                      > but it was satisfying. And open-ended enough to allow (as you hope)
                      > for more.
                      >
                      > The most fun, perhaps, would be if they had a Lobelia Girls' Academy
                      > Zuka Club anime, where the Ouran crowd occasionally came by to throw
                      > monkey-wrenches.
                      >
                      > Ellen Rose

                      Of course, this makes me think of the idea I had where a St. Lobelia
                      girl gets the idea to create the school's very own Hostess Club, and the
                      Zuka Club naturally object...

                      --

                      ---
                      Robert Kelly - "This is science, not 'Whack-A-Mole'."