Good, bad and just plain stupid

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
      I had to report these, because they were too funny not to. :-)

      This weekend, I picked up Megami and Dengeki G's magazines for the
      current chapters of the Strawberry Panic and new Simoun manga - and
      don't think it didn't make me feel dirty, because it did. Those two
      magazines are so very for LFBs it's kind of squicky even paging
      through them. I chalk it up to "things I do to keep up on the latest
      yuri."

      So - Simoun manga, as you may remember ended in Yuri Hime, but began
      in Megami. Any elegance and emotional depth the YH story had was
      replaced by a Mai Otome-ish parody which won't tax the readers' brains
      too much.

      In chapter two, we learn that the pairs still have to kiss to do the
      remersion - in this case, it's more like a magical girl transformation
      and the Simoun is the finial on the end of the magical wand. Seriously.

      So Kaimu and Paraietta have a nice kiss (good) but it all squicks
      newcomer Arike, erm, Aeru out the door (bad.) She's completely freaked
      at the idea of kissing another girl, so she...are you sitting?

      Aeru grabs Rodreamon's ugly doll and kisses that. (plain stupid)

      To everyone's (including mine, because if anyone proposed an idea like
      that for any story I wrote, they'd be canned...) shock it works.

      ***

      Also in the "just plain stupid" but really really funny camp - this
      month's SP manga was unintentionally hysterical. The Etoile-sen is on!
      The first event has the senior members in a horse race towards a high
      tower into the (open, no walls) top floor of which all the junior
      members of the pairs are shoved, like sheep in a pen. Again, I am
      being serious. And there appear to be dozens of couples in the
      Etolie-sen...not two or three. So the tower platform is crammed full
      of whiny, squealy first-years.

      Of course Amane takes the lead, which Shizuma follows close behind.
      BUT, in a
      not-at-all-expected-oh-no-we-really-didn't-see-this-coming-at-ALL
      moment, Nagisa is elbowed off the tower and starts to fall. Shock!

      When Nagisa was shoved off the tower I admit it - I laughed out loud.
      That doesn't bother me. That there might be people who wouldn't, does. ;-)

      That was the entire chapter. With a short foray into Nagisa comforting
      Hikari, who was rapidly devloping a phobia of crowded places.

    • M. Coleridge
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
        Well thanks for the update and actually as I am spending more time on this
        list (download episodes, research anime sites, etc), I'm getting to learn
        the characters so I can follow what you are talking about. But really I'm
        still a newbie to the anime/manga world so can you decode for me some of
        your email?

        What's LFB and what are these magazines you refer to with the unsavory
        slant?

        Thanks -Marina

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

          > Well thanks for the update and actually as I am spending more time
          on this
          > list (download episodes, research anime sites, etc), I'm getting to
          learn
          > the characters so I can follow what you are talking about. But
          really I'm
          > still a newbie to the anime/manga world so can you decode for me
          some of
          > your email?
          >
          > What's LFB and what are these magazines you refer to with the
          unsavory
          > slant?

          LFB is short for "Loser FanBoy".

          Megami magazine is a Japanese magazine that focuse on what is refered
          to as "bishoujo" - mostly posters and pictures of scantily, partially
          clad or flahing body parts young women - sometimes very very young.
          These are explained by write ups on the various anime the characters
          belong to.

          Dengeki G's Magazine is a game magazine - again, lots of dating sims,
          bishoujo and erotic games for guys who mostly don't get to go out
          with real girls.

        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
            On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 01:14 +0000, atheniag wrote:
            > LFB is short for "Loser FanBoy".

            Why do you capitalize the B in the middle of fanboy instead of splitting
            it into two words or hyphenating? I half expect a (tm) at the end.
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
              >From: Johann Chua <johannchua@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Good, bad and just plain stupid
              >Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:28:42 +0800
              >
              >On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 01:14 +0000, atheniag wrote:
              > > LFB is short for "Loser FanBoy".
              >
              >Why do you capitalize the B in the middle of fanboy instead of splitting
              >it into two words or hyphenating? I half expect a (tm) at the end.

              I almost did put a (tm) at the end. lol

              I don't know why I started doing it,but now it's my own trademarked version
              of the acronym. I started it as a rating on Okazu, because I felt that
              sometimes a good series is marrred, or otherwise altered by the perceived
              obsessive need for fanservice of a particular portion of the audience. I use
              LFG where applicable.

              I like to think that 40 years from now the acronyms I coin and trademark
              (ie, EPL= Evil Psycho Lesbian or LFB) will live independent lives of their
              own. :-)

            • Johann Chua
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2006
                On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 08:30 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:
                > >From: Johann Chua <johannchua@...>
                > >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Good, bad and just plain stupid
                > >Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:28:42 +0800
                > >
                > >On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 01:14 +0000, atheniag wrote:
                > > > LFB is short for "Loser FanBoy".
                > >
                > >Why do you capitalize the B in the middle of fanboy instead of splitting
                > >it into two words or hyphenating? I half expect a (tm) at the end.
                >
                > I almost did put a (tm) at the end. lol
                >
                > I don't know why I started doing it,but now it's my own trademarked version
                > of the acronym. I started it as a rating on Okazu, because I felt that
                > sometimes a good series is marrred, or otherwise altered by the perceived
                > obsessive need for fanservice of a particular portion of the audience. I use
                > LFG where applicable.

                Most fanservicey show I've watched recently was Musumet, but that was
                the main point.

                Really couldn't get into Love Hina despite having Charmaine Cordoviz
                Sagrado (Naru) and Grace Cornel (Motoko, Haruka, Mutsumi) in the Tagalog
                dub (Rose Barin seemed really miscast as as Kaolla Suu, though; she
                sounds better as older characters like Fujiko Mine). Couldn't get into
                the manga either when I read my sempai'a copy of the first tankoubon.
                Ditto for Del Rey's preview of Negima for Free Comic Book Day a couple
                of years ago.

                I do like the H doujinshi by Akamatsu's assistant Magi (doing Akamatsu's
                style better than Akamatsu does).
              • Ashley
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Hello girls and guys!

                  Did everyone know that the Ouran manga has been liscensed? I saw like
                  the first 6 or 7 volumes at Waldenbooks yesterday. O.o

                  One part of the series that I happen to love is: Tamaki's Inner-mind
                  Theater... they could do a whole ep about that. lmao.

                  Ashley
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Ashley <kitsunenoshoujo@...> wrote:
                    Hello girls and guys!

                    Did everyone know that the Ouran manga has been liscensed? I saw like
                    the first 6 or 7 volumes at Waldenbooks yesterday. O.o

                    One part of the series that I happen to love is: Tamaki's Inner-mind
                    Theater... they could do a whole ep about that. lmao.

                    <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family: Arial; clear: both; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 77%; margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0 1px; } #ygrp-actbar{ clear: both; margin: 25px 0; white-space:nowrap; color: #666; text-align: right; } #ygrp-actbar .left{ float: left; white-space:nowrap; } .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family: Verdana; font-size: 77%; padding: 15px 0; } #ygrp-ft{ font-family: verdana; font-size: 77%; border-top: 1px solid #666; padding: 5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-vital{ background-color: #e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 2px 0 8px 8px; } #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size: 77%; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: bold; color: #333; text-transform: uppercase; } #ygrp-vital ul{ padding: 0; margin: 2px 0; } #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type: none; clear: both; border: 1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight: bold; color: #ff7900; float: right; width: 2em; text-align:right; padding-right: .5em; } #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight: bold; } #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color: #999; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding: 6px 13px; background-color: #e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin: 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration: none; font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color: #eee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%; line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; } o {font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4}
                    Yeah I own the first seven. Tamaki's inner-mind theater shows up in the eps. They go together with the story and well its rather amusing how  it never works out like Tamaki wants it too. The fact that his inner-mind automatically puts Haruhi out of character is probably the reason why.

                    "I didn't do it! ... Unless it was a good thing, then maybe I did...!"
                    -Shane-