SCANS: Rude Girls & Dangerous Women

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2006
      Don't you love it when you find something you saw as a kid all those
      years ago, and never saw again?

      WAY back in high school, I remember going into the (not) local comic
      book store, and as usual feeling grossly uncomfortable by all the
      stares. Not at me so much, but more a "which comics is she reading"
      leering. Before leaving quick as I could (as I would do), I happenned
      to spy this little gem.

      Rude Girls & Dangerous Women, by Jennifer Camper.

      Having a quick flick through the pages, that was pretty much my first
      experience with lesbians in comic books. And wouldn'cha know, they
      were all big n' strong n' extremely happy being who they were. One
      great big society of women having a blast with each other, having fun.

      Naturally, I couldn't buy it. One, because at that age I had to save
      every cent I had just to buy one issue of a comic book, let alone a
      book... and two, I'da been WAY to freaked out to hand it over to the
      sales clerk guy. And so, I never saw it again.

      For more than a decade, I could never figure out what that book was I
      saw in ye olde comic book store in my childhood. No title, no author,
      no front cover image, no nothing. Just a vague recollection of one or
      two B&W panels of the comic strips found therein.

      So there I am going through Amazon.com book lists, window shopping,
      picking up the occasional title, and I see an old book by Jennifer
      Camper, of 'Juicy Mother' fame (volume 2 taking *way* too long to be
      released). It may be old and no doubt outdated, but what the hey? I
      add it to the list and eventually it arrives.

      Oh the joy of opening the book and discovering... this is it! This is
      the one! I *remember* these comic strips!. Oh the childhood glee of
      having as an adult that long lost jewel of your youth. For a moment,
      I was *complete*. What was lost, hads now been found. It was mine.

      Gawd, I'm such a nerd. ^__^

      http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/Camper/

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
        >From: "Jen" <puni@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] SCANS: Rude Girls & Dangerous Women
        >Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:48:20 -0000
        >
        >Don't you love it when you find something you saw as a kid all those
        >years ago, and never saw again?

        And it's so awful you can't imagine why you liked it? :-D

        I recently was given a copy of a book I loved as a child - the Boy's King
        Arthur. It's the only short Arthurian thing I've ever seen with the stories
        of Agravain and Gaheris. (Source material for the fanfic "The Senshi's
        Challenge" on worldshaking.net)

        The First Lady found it and gave it to me. It was exactly as I remembered -
        only it was completely incoherent. I mean, laughbly so.

        >Rude Girls & Dangerous Women, by Jennifer Camper.

        I remember the name.

        >Oh the joy of opening the book and discovering... this is it! This is
        >the one! I *remember* these comic strips!. Oh the childhood glee of
        >having as an adult that long lost jewel of your youth. For a moment,
        >I was *complete*. What was lost, hads now been found. It was mine.

        Ta-da. How wonderful. :-)

        >Gawd, I'm such a nerd. ^__^

        Yeah, but you're our nerd.

        >http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/Camper/

        Loved the support group for Lesbian Comic Artists Who Make Tons of Money. I
        don't know what that's like at all...

      • Jude McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          > >http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/Camper/
          >
          > Loved the support group for Lesbian Comic Artists Who Make Tons
          > of Money. I don't know what that's like at all...

          I thought of you last time I read through the book and saw that. :)

          I particularly love the Camper comic with the black woman in the
          voting booth. I've gone and re-read that one several times during
          every election season for the past 8 or so years.

          Jude
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jude McLaughlin" <dziwozony@...> wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@> wrote:
            > > >http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/Camper/
            > >
            > > Loved the support group for Lesbian Comic Artists Who Make Tons
            > > of Money. I don't know what that's like at all...
            >
            > I thought of you last time I read through the book and saw that. :)

            The funny things is, of course, that I am NOT an artist. Not even
            remotely. And yet I still make no money on comics. I thought that we
            corporate types were supposed to be raking it in while all the artists
            were getting ripped off! :-)