Welcome to our new - and long-lost - members!

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
      Hello all!

      We have officially passed the 1500 person mark this week, so I
      thought it might be nice to say hello to all the folks who have
      joined recently.

      If you're new here, please take a moment to read the FAQs for this
      list at http://www.yuricon.org/faq.html Really. I mean it. Go *read*
      the page.

      When you have read our rules, feel free to jump in with a short
      intro, who your favorite yuri couple is, how you got into yuri, that
      sort of thing. :-) I'll start:

      My name is Erica Friedman, founder and preseident of Yuricon. I got
      into yuri through Sailor Moon and still think Haruka and Michiru are
      the Queens of Yuri. Currently watching Simoun and Strawberry Panic,
      and reading Kotonoha no Miko to Kotodama no Majyo to (reviewed today
      on Okazu:http://okazu.blogspot.com).

      Before I go, I want to welcome back a long-lost friend to the list.
      In 2003, Menagi-chan was the vice chair of Yuricon 2003 and we're
      very, very pleased to have her back! Yay!

      So welcome to our friends, new and old - welcome to the Yuricon ML!

    • chai
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
        Hallo, Token here.  I'm an almost 20-yr-old studying art history, religious studies, and Japanese at Indiana University: Bloomington, IN.  I don't know much about yuri thanks to the term's adoption by many porn sites out there, so I'm hoping to expand my experience of the genre.  Thus far I have to agree with Erica on the awesomeness of Haruka and Michiru.  ;)  Erm, think that's it!  Nice to meet y'all.

        token

        atheniag wrote:

[...]

      • Sherlie Managbanag

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
            Hloo ladies and gents! I'm Sab, which is short for H. Sabets; also known as Saber, Sabie, and Hira to people who've known me way too long. I'm 20 years oldish, and I'm an artist and a writer. These two abilities together form of the aspiration to one day make graphic novels; I have, currently, two heavily shoujo-ai focused stories in the works, which I may bug the community for feedback on once they get to a more finalized state. I don't remember exactly when it dawned on me, but at some point around 15 or 16 tender years, I realized that there was nothing so appealing as shoujo-ai; gooshy, fluffy, light, dramatic, angsty, torrid, sexy... it's all so very lovely.

            For me, I didn't discover yuri manga/anime till after this realization, but I'll try to recount some moments of first-yuri-love... I think the first f/f couple in anime I actually likely shipped was Ranko/Akane in Ranma 1/2; back when I was 13 someone made a fanfiction about what if jusenkyo curses were permanent, and it dealt with Ranko & Akane having to get to know eachother with Akane knowing Ranma as a girl, and ever since it's kinda stuck... even in the manga the Ranko/Akane scenes seem sweeter than the ones with M-Ranma. I have huge, embarrassing crushes on Lum from Urusei Yatsura, Shampoo and Ukyo from Ranma 1/2, Hikaru Shidou from Magic Knight Rayearth, and both Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy from Batman(the animated series), which aren't anime, but I can't help it. They're just sooo cute. XD;

            I found Yuricon when I once attended ACen and got a flyer for Yaoicon. Not really into yaoi, I was more curious to check online to see if there was, perhaps, a parallel YuriCon... and so was lead here. ;3 I'll stop yammering, and end this with some of my art, for perhaps desired perusal:
            The  three main characters of my torrid lesbian love triangle story that I keep trying to jumpstart. Left to right Mayounaka, Ryuko and Narita.
            Mai-po and Ri-chu from the above. Mai loves messing with Ri, Ri finds Mai strange and disfavorable.
            Na-chi, from the first.  Na is in general torn between a lot of things, and ri and mai's attentions do not ease this.
            Mai continuing with her favorite hobby (possibly a bit risque for work; doesn't help that I forgot to draw ri's clothes)
            a "minicomic" I conjured, illustrating their strange "relationship" .

            Yeah that's it for now, time to ease off on the link happiness.

          • rosepress@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
              In a message dated 8/10/2006 6:09:57 P.M. Central Standard Time, fen_no_arawn@... writes:
              I'll stop yammering, and end this with some of my art, for perhaps desired perusal:
              Nice drawings and style!

              Ellen Rose
            • Jeff Daly
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
                Hmmm... Let's see- Okay, I go by the name of Baka Gaijin30 (which
                basically translates to "Stupid Foreigner 30"), and I chose the name
                because it fits my sense of humor. I'm 32 years old, and I first was
                exposed to anime as a young child through Battle of the
                Planets/Gatchaman, and as an adult through the original OVA of
                Bubblegum Crisis. I think it was through reading BGC fanfiction that
                I first became exposed to yuri, and have been infatuated with it
                ever since. My favorite parings are probably Haruka and Michiru, as
                well as Ami and Makoto from Sailor Moon. I also write fanfiction (a
                lot of it parodying my favorite series).

                I think one of the things I find most appealing about yuri is that
                there's a tenderness and beauty in the best stories that's missing
                in a lot of hetero stories.

                Anyways, that's it for now. I'm currently writing a Strawberry Panic
                spoof, so I'll be sure to let you all know when the next chapter is
                done. Bye ^^

                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "fen_no_arawn" <fen_no_arawn@...>
                wrote:

                > Hloo ladies and gents! I'm Sab, which is short for H. Sabets; also
                known
                > as Saber, Sabie, and Hira to people who've known me way too long.
                I'm 20
                > years oldish, and I'm an artist and a writer. These two abilities
                > together form of the aspiration to one day make graphic novels; I
                have,
                > currently, two heavily shoujo-ai focused stories in the works,
                which I
                > may bug the community for feedback on once they get to a more
                finalized
                > state. I don't remember exactly when it dawned on me, but at some
                point
                > around 15 or 16 tender years, I realized that there was nothing so
                > appealing as shoujo-ai; gooshy, fluffy, light, dramatic, angsty,
                torrid,
                > sexy... it's all so very lovely.
                >
                > For me, I didn't discover yuri manga/anime till after this
                realization,
                > but I'll try to recount some moments of first-yuri-love... I think
                the
                > first f/f couple in anime I actually likely shipped was
                Ranko/Akane in
                > Ranma 1/2; back when I was 13 someone made a fanfiction about what
                if
                > jusenkyo curses were permanent, and it dealt with Ranko & Akane
                having
                > to get to know eachother with Akane knowing Ranma as a girl, and
                ever
                > since it's kinda stuck... even in the manga the Ranko/Akane scenes
                seem
                > sweeter than the ones with M-Ranma. I have huge, embarrassing
                crushes on
                > Lum from Urusei Yatsura, Shampoo and Ukyo from Ranma 1/2, Hikaru
                Shidou
                > from Magic Knight Rayearth, and both Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy
                from
                > Batman(the animated series), which aren't anime, but I can't help
                it.
                > They're just sooo cute. XD;
                >
                > I found Yuricon when I once attended ACen and got a flyer for
                Yaoicon.
                > Not really into yaoi, I was more curious to check online to see if
                there
                > was, perhaps, a parallel YuriCon... and so was lead here. ;3 I'll
                stop
                > yammering, and end this with some of my art, for perhaps desired
                > perusal:
                > The three main characters

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Roughs/sketchle490-
                extr\
                > aordinarilynice.jpg> of my torrid lesbian love triangle story
                that I
                > keep trying to jumpstart. Left to right Mayounaka, Ryuko and
                Narita.
                > Mai-po and Ri-chu

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Roughs/sketchle456-
                does\
                > ntitjustturnyouon.jpg> from the above. Mai loves messing with Ri,
                Ri
                > finds Mai strange and disfavorable.
                > Na-chi

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Roughs/sketchle437-
                heyi\
                > mdorisday.jpg> , from the first. Na is in general torn between a
                lot of
                > things, and ri and mai's attentions do not ease this.
                > Mai continuing with her favorite hobby

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Roughs/sketchle423-
                ihav\
                > egreatrespectforyou.jpg> (possibly a bit risque for work; doesn't
                help
                > that I forgot to draw ri's clothes)
                > a "minicomic" I conjured

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Wipps/theyshouldkiss
                01.\

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Wipps/resize01.jpg>

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Wipps/resize02_2.jpg

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Wipps/resize02_3.jpg

                <http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/narmalle/Wipps/resize03.jpg>
                .

                > Yeah that's it for now, time to ease off on the link happiness.
                >

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all!
                > >
                > > We have officially passed the 1500 person mark this week, so I
                > > thought it might be nice to say hello to all the folks who have
                > > joined recently.
                > >
                > > If you're new here, please take a moment to read the FAQs for
                this
                > > list at http://www.yuricon.org/faq.html Really. I mean it. Go
                *read*
                > > the page.
                > >
                > > When you have read our rules, feel free to jump in with a short
                > > intro, who your favorite yuri couple is, how you got into yuri,
                that
                > > sort of thing. :-) I'll start:
                > >
                > > My name is Erica Friedman, founder and preseident of Yuricon. I
                got
                > > into yuri through Sailor Moon and still think Haruka and Michiru
                are
                > > the Queens of Yuri. Currently watching Simoun and Strawberry
                Panic,
                > > and reading Kotonoha no Miko to Kotodama no Majyo to (reviewed
                today
                > > on Okazu:http://okazu.blogspot.com).
                > >
                > > Before I go, I want to welcome back a long-lost friend to the
                list.
                > > In 2003, Menagi-chan was the vice chair of Yuricon 2003 and we're
                > > very, very pleased to have her back! Yay!
                > >
                > > So welcome to our friends, new and old - welcome to the Yuricon
                ML!

                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Erica

              • Jekaterina Gudkova
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2006
                  Hello.

                  I've been something of a lurker most of the time, but here goes :).
                  My name is Kat, I've been a member for a couple of years now. My favourite
                  yuri couple, I suppose are Utena and Anthy, but of the movie, not so much
                  the series.
                  I like Simoun and Marimite and Moonlight Feathers and a lot of other yuri
                  things as well, and I'm thankful that there is something like this mailing
                  list to communicate with people with similar interests.

                  Nice to meet you all and delurke, hope you will accept me kindly, as I'm
                  somewhat shy over the net.

                  Kat

                  The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

                  >From: "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...>
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Yuricon] Welcome to our new - and long-lost - members!
                  >Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 00:40:02 -0000
                  >
                  >Hello all!
                  >
                  >We have officially passed the 1500 person mark this week, so I
                  >thought it might be nice to say hello to all the folks who have
                  >joined recently.
                  >
                  >If you're new here, please take a moment to read the FAQs for this
                  >list at http://www.yuricon.org/faq.html Really. I mean it. Go *read*
                  >the page.
                  >
                  >When you have read our rules, feel free to jump in with a short
                  >intro, who your favorite yuri couple is, how you got into yuri, that
                  >sort of thing. :-) I'll start:
                  >
                  >My name is Erica Friedman, founder and preseident of Yuricon. I got
                  >into yuri through Sailor Moon and still think Haruka and Michiru are
                  >the Queens of Yuri. Currently watching Simoun and Strawberry Panic,
                  >and reading Kotonoha no Miko to Kotodama no Majyo to (reviewed today
                  >on Okazu:http://okazu.blogspot.com).
                  >
                  >Before I go, I want to welcome back a long-lost friend to the list.
                  >In 2003, Menagi-chan was the vice chair of Yuricon 2003 and we're
                  >very, very pleased to have her back! Yay!
                  >
                  >So welcome to our friends, new and old - welcome to the Yuricon ML!
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >Erica

                • Aereal Reis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2006
                    Hi! I am known as neo_hrtgdv and well, the name is the code for a
                    Super NES game called "Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow", its about a duck
                    that fight evil spirits.. i know its weird but the name "hrtgdv" is
                    the code for the final scene ^_^

                    Anywy, I got into yuri from Haruka and Michiru, my sister and I both
                    liked anime so we sometimes watched Sailor Moon together, and it was
                    when I first met yuri, I was very young at that time. a few years
                    later I wrote a story about two girls that fell in love, I didn't know
                    the word "yuri" or even the full meaning of the word "lesbian" beyond:
                    "a girl who has girlfriend"; but I liked the story a lot and of course
                    the girls, it was only until I saw the movie of Utena that I really
                    got into yuri, by searching in the interneta bout it I got to wiki,
                    and wiki led me to yuri and shoujo ai, and then I got to the page "el
                    rincon del lirio" which is made by Laurasama (which in my opinion, is
                    one of the greatest yuri personalities in spanish speaking zones) and
                    got to know much more about the yuri and was in that page where I
                    found a link to the yuricon, and later found Erica's blog wich I like
                    a lot.

                    So yes, hi and nice to meet you all ^_^

                    neo_hrtgdv

                    > Hello all!
                    >
                    > We have officially passed the 1500 person mark this week, so I
                    > thought it might be nice to say hello to all the folks who have
                    > joined recently.
                    >
                    > If you're new here, please take a moment to read the FAQs for this
                    > list at http://www.yuricon.org/faq.html Really. I mean it. Go *read*
                    > the page.
                    >
                    > When you have read our rules, feel free to jump in with a short
                    > intro, who your favorite yuri couple is, how you got into yuri, that
                    > sort of thing. :-) I'll start:
                    >
                    > My name is Erica Friedman, founder and preseident of Yuricon. I got
                    > into yuri through Sailor Moon and still think Haruka and Michiru are
                    > the Queens of Yuri. Currently watching Simoun and Strawberry Panic,
                    > and reading Kotonoha no Miko to Kotodama no Majyo to (reviewed today
                    > on Okazu:http://okazu.blogspot.com).
                    >
                    > Before I go, I want to welcome back a long-lost friend to the list.
                    > In 2003, Menagi-chan was the vice chair of Yuricon 2003 and we're
                    > very, very pleased to have her back! Yay!
                    >
                    > So welcome to our friends, new and old - welcome to the Yuricon ML!

                  • ingenue183
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 11, 2006
                      hello everyone!

                      i'm lill, long time reader of okazu and new member of yuricon.
                      favourite yuri couple HANDS DOWN would be sei and shimako from
                      marimite - their deep, unspoken understanding of each other warms my
                      heart so!

                      i got into yuri, i suppose, in the hopes of finding something that
                      reflects my own gay experience. it's been pretty good so far, though
                      none of my girlfriends have turned into cars i can drive (utena
                      movie)... yet. heh :D

                      currently watching "butterfly" (HK movie) on repeat (tian yuan is
                      DIVINE!), frothing at the mouth in anticipation of marimite 3 and
                      working on a graphic novel with lesbian themes. reading ebine yamaji-
                      san's work prompted me to create something similar (and many thanks
                      to okazu/erica for the heads up!)

                      that's it from me, happy yuri-ing folks!

                      - lill.