Fandom history

  • Jude McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9 7:57 AM
      For several months, I've been seeing a number of efforts on various
      sites and communities, to put together a timeline of fandom. I think
      those folks finally realized that it's too complicated for a simple
      timeline and have bowed to the Wikiwave: therefore, the Fandom History
      Wiki (http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?title=Main_Page).

      It seems heavily dominated by non-anime fans (because they were saying
      that "yuri" as a term had faded out of usage; um, NOT), so I poked
      around on there, tweaking some things, starting a couple of others.

      In some irritation, I noticed the vast, vast sprawl of Harry Potter
      Big Name Fans (the "Cassie Clare by year" entries were what really
      tipped me off). So, er, someone needs to go edit Erica's entry. And
      possibly Yuricon, ALC Publishing, and other related entries.

      (Hey, THEY have THEIR BNFs, we have OURS. And OURS hasn't [Jude
      censors herself to avoid controversial untopical topics]. Ahem.)

      Anyway. Now I crawl back into my hole.

      Jude
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9 8:46 AM
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jude McLaughlin" <dziwozony@...> wrote:

        > For several months, I've been seeing a number of efforts on various
        > sites and communities, to put together a timeline of fandom. I think
        > those folks finally realized that it's too complicated for a simple
        > timeline and have bowed to the Wikiwave: therefore, the Fandom History
        > Wiki (http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?title=Main_Page).
        >
        > It seems heavily dominated by non-anime fans (because they were saying
        > that "yuri" as a term had faded out of usage; um, NOT), so I poked
        > around on there, tweaking some things, starting a couple of others.
        >
        > In some irritation, I noticed the vast, vast sprawl of Harry Potter
        > Big Name Fans (the "Cassie Clare by year" entries were what really
        > tipped me off). So, er, someone needs to go edit Erica's entry. And
        > possibly Yuricon, ALC Publishing, and other related entries.

        I wonder who decided that we were a dead con? (Funny - I thought we
        did TWO events in 2005.)I simply have no time to edit any such things,
        but if anyone is interested in slamming around there and tweaking
        stuff, just check facts with me and feel free.