Re: Non-spoilery reactions to _Simoun_, episode 10

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Erica:
      > > > Did the last scene creep you out? This is the second time we've seen
      > > > them do that, and I'm REALLY not sure it makes me happy.

      > > I think it's a coping mechanism. It seems much less callous than
      > > the witty banter that you see in shounen or western combat shows.
      >
      > I think I disagree there. It seems the exact same level of callous.
      > Maybe a little creepier, because it was girlish giggles which one
      > doesn't associate with slaughter.

      I'm specifically thinking of friends who work or have worked in
      high-stress situations where they have to face dying people on a daily
      basis (a housemate who drove an ambulance, friends who work in
      emergency rooms, and two friends who are veterans of two different
      invasions of Afghanistan) -- either you learn to laugh, or you break
      down crying. Chor Tempest has gone through their "break down crying"
      phase; either they learn to find lighthearted moments when they can,
      or they'll all have to go to the Spring. There isn't really a third
      option.

      That said, I really, really don't see the jarring defensive
      callousness there that I've seen from my ambulance-driving (or
      Afghan-invading) friends. Rodo and Mamiina aren't laughing *at* the
      fallen enemy pilots; they're changing the subject altogether, and
      finding something outside the horror of combat to talk about and share
      a laugh over. And remember the shocked reaction of everyone to the
      devastation that the Silver Ri Maajon caused?

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>