Re: OT: doubt - Grey's Anatomy

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Diva Yahoo" <divapuntar@...> wrote:

      > The main characters were called "Interns", but they are doctors
      > already. (In Brazil, the interns are still students)
      > On the other hand, it appears that they're having their first
      > contact with pacients, with the hospital in that moment. (Here, we
      > begin this contact still during school)
      > The bosses were called "residents" (While in my country, the
      > resident, though already a doctor, is still learning his or her
      > speciality)
      > It is said that they coursed 4 years of medicine on college...
      > (only 4? That can't be right... What were they reffering to?)

      In North America, prospective doctors spend four years in university,
      studying whatever they wish, although most concentrate on biology or a
      pre-medical program. When they graduate with their bachelor's degree,
      they enter medical school, which takes *another* four years. The
      first two years are "preclinical", and the later two involve time in a
      teaching hospital with patients.

      Then the real fun begins. There's a highly stressful process of
      computer matching that takes place around the end of medical school,
      wherein newly graduated doctors are matched with residency programs
      around the country. The prestige of the hospital and the specialty
      involve in the residency determine how hard it is to match with a
      specific residency.

      After this, the new doctors spend a year (or two) as an "intern",
      after which they become "residents." They spend the next three to
      seven years (depending on the program) effectively as indentured
      servants, working absurdly long shifts for a pittance. The first
      ("intern") year is supposed to involve a rotation among all
      departments in the hospital, after which the new resident settles down
      in their department for a lengthy stay. Many interns use their intern
      year to prepare to reapply to a more prestigious residency program
      elsewhere, which is sort of like being a "ronin" in Japanese student
      terms (to tie this back to anime and manga again :-) ).

      > And... The characters appear to be on their thirties, 33, 35...

      Bachelor's degree: 22
      Medical school graduation: 26
      Internship year: 27
      Residency: depending on the program, into the early thirties -- 34 for
      a neurosurgery resident.

      -- Sue --
      (a friend of mine just completed her radiology residency)

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>