Non-spoilery reactions to _Simoun_, episode 10

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
      Yeesh, what a tub!

      This series has really gotten into the habit of throwing it at least
      one scene per episode that makes me cry.

      And I want the recipe for Mamiina's Famous Mouse Stew.

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@...> wrote:

        > Yeesh, what a tub!
        >
        > This series has really gotten into the habit of throwing it at least
        > one scene per episode that makes me cry.

        I got a bit misty, but probably because I'm just tired.

        Did the last scene creep you out? This is the second time we've seen
        them do that, and I'm REALLY not sure it makes me happy.

        > And I want the recipe for Mamiina's Famous Mouse Stew.

        Heh.

        She looked so happy cooking - I wonder if it would piss her off to
        know that.

        One thing that *is* similar between anime and manga - Rodoreamon's
        personality. She's really a sweet kid in both versions.

      • Susan Davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006
          Erica:
          > Did the last scene creep you out? This is the second time we've seen
          > them do that, and I'm REALLY not sure it makes me happy.

          Do you mean laughing and joking on the way home from slaughtering
          hundreds or thousands of enemy soldiers? Neville and many others have
          commented at length on just how much they think that having to do that
          is Not Okay, but they're resigned to it if that's what it takes for
          Simulacrum to survive. And only Aaeru, Limone, and Neville have
          actually seen the enemy close up; it's much easier to destroy tanks
          and planes than it is to kill people you can see.

          I think it's a coping mechanism. It seems much less callous than the
          witty banter that you see in shounen or western combat shows. And
          we've already seen them go through quite a few episodes where they
          just couldn't cope at all.

          > > And I want the recipe for Mamiina's Famous Mouse Stew.
          >
          > She looked so happy cooking - I wonder if it would piss her off to
          > know that [she looked happy].

          Before Rodo? Perhaps she'd be mildly annoyed -- she seemed to have a
          skill for finding something to pissed off at. After Rodo? I think
          Mamiina x Rodo is going to be remarkably good for her....

          -- Sue --
          (Two women in a relationship who are good for each other? Wow, what a
          concept. I think Neville and Aaeru are good for each other, too.)

          --
          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@...> wrote:

            > Erica:
            > > Did the last scene creep you out? This is the second time we've seen
            > > them do that, and I'm REALLY not sure it makes me happy.

            > Do you mean laughing and joking on the way home from slaughtering
            > hundreds or thousands of enemy soldiers?

            That would be it.

            Neville and many others have
            > commented at length on just how much they think that having to do that
            > is Not Okay, but they're resigned to it if that's what it takes for
            > Simulacrum to survive. And only Aaeru, Limone, and Neville have
            > actually seen the enemy close up; it's much easier to destroy tanks
            > and planes than it is to kill people you can see.

            As many people have commented in many media over the course of
            history. For the same reason it's easier to be insulting or trollish
            online.

            During WWi and WWI British propaganda against "Huns" said that they
            eat babies. The amazing thing to me is that people believed it. You
            have to demonize the enemy (which the anime does for us as well, by
            providing them with gas mask-like inhuman faces) in order to justify
            slaughter.

            > I think it's a coping mechanism. It seems much less callous than the
            > witty banter that you see in shounen or western combat shows.

            I think I disagree there. It seems the exact same level of callous.
            Maybe a little creepier, because it was girlish giggles which one
            doesn't associate with slaughter.

            And
            > we've already seen them go through quite a few episodes where they
            > just couldn't cope at all.

            Whic make plenty of sense to anyone.

            > > > And I want the recipe for Mamiina's Famous Mouse Stew.
            > >
            > > She looked so happy cooking - I wonder if it would piss her off to
            > > know that [she looked happy].
            >
            > Before Rodo? Perhaps she'd be mildly annoyed -- she seemed to have a
            > skill for finding something to pissed off at. After Rodo? I think
            > Mamiina x Rodo is going to be remarkably good for her....

            I think she'd still be annoyed post-Rodo. Just maybe more for show.

            > -- Sue --
            > (Two women in a relationship who are good for each other? Wow, what a
            > concept. I think Neville and Aaeru are good for each other, too.)

            I agree there. And Aeru and Neviru are good for Paraietta, as well.
            Forced her to move on. I wouldn't wish Kaimu on Para however, not as
            things stand, anyway.

          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2006

              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Erica:
              > > > Did the last scene creep you out? This is the second time we've seen
              > > > them do that, and I'm REALLY not sure it makes me happy.

              > > I think it's a coping mechanism. It seems much less callous than
              > > the witty banter that you see in shounen or western combat shows.
              >
              > I think I disagree there. It seems the exact same level of callous.
              > Maybe a little creepier, because it was girlish giggles which one
              > doesn't associate with slaughter.

              I'm specifically thinking of friends who work or have worked in
              high-stress situations where they have to face dying people on a daily
              basis (a housemate who drove an ambulance, friends who work in
              emergency rooms, and two friends who are veterans of two different
              invasions of Afghanistan) -- either you learn to laugh, or you break
              down crying. Chor Tempest has gone through their "break down crying"
              phase; either they learn to find lighthearted moments when they can,
              or they'll all have to go to the Spring. There isn't really a third
              option.

              That said, I really, really don't see the jarring defensive
              callousness there that I've seen from my ambulance-driving (or
              Afghan-invading) friends. Rodo and Mamiina aren't laughing *at* the
              fallen enemy pilots; they're changing the subject altogether, and
              finding something outside the horror of combat to talk about and share
              a laugh over. And remember the shocked reaction of everyone to the
              devastation that the Silver Ri Maajon caused?

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>