Re: Ouran HS Host Club

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, rosepress@... wrote:

      > Have mercy, the 9th episode (Lobelia Girls' Academy Challenge) just
      > came out in fansubs and it was the funniest thing I have seen in
      > AGES!

      I didn't hyperventillate the way that I did for the karaoke scene in
      _Kujibiki Unbalance_, but this was awfully darned funny. It's a shame
      that the fansub didn't come out before my beloved left for Iowa.

      > homage to Utena, Marimite, and either Ranma or Slayers

      ...and Rose of Versailles. The "noblewoman's laugh" isn't exclusive
      to Ranma and Slayers, btw -- it shows up in a lot of places.

      -- Sue --
      (onna, onna, uber alles....)

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • Joy Bordador
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
        I wouldn't be surprised if she was. I wonder why neither the creator or the animators played that up more. >_>0

        Dang you stupid BitTorrent and LimeWire always in Pending/Need More Sources mode, I still haven't gotten past episode 2! >_<000 I wanna see episode 9 already dangit!

        Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        It was pretty hysterical. I liked how they upped the absurdity of the
        Zuka-bu's rhetoric to match the utter idiocy of the Host Club's general
        nonsense.

        But I also noticed that they cut out the Host Club's concern that Haruhi
        might, perhaps, (gasp!) be a lesbian.

        <>< Proud ICTUSian <><
        Green-Minded Crusader of Truth, Love and Justice

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • rosepress@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
          In a message dated 6/5/2006 11:45:28 A.M. Central Standard Time, alecto_fury@... writes:
          It was pretty hysterical. I liked how they upped the absurdity of the
          Zuka-bu's rhetoric to match the utter idiocy of the Host Club's general
          nonsense.

          But I also noticed that they cut out the Host Club's concern that Haruhi
          might, perhaps, (gasp!) be a lesbian.

          Well, yes, but they let the Zuka gals accuse Ouran's Fearless Leader of being a 'half", several times. I'm not too good on Japanese, but I'm excellent on innuendo, and at the very least they were calling him a girly-man.

          Ellen Rose
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
            There are more hints to her being a lesbian in the manga. Anyways I think they left out the members concern that she was because in the first ep they left out her little saying that she was possibly "Bent that way" though they did leave that she was amused by girls fussing over her, and that it was cute that they fussed over her. But Tamaki rather clings to the  'bent that way' line in his rant that she could be gay. They tended to leave the other suggestionst here though, after all she is still a female posing as a male host. She just seems to not really be aware or really care about sexuality or dating of any kind. In fact realtionships of any kind can be lumped into that since she really doesn't make any effort to have or keep friends.

            Shane

            rosepress@... wrote:
            In a message dated 6/5/2006 11:45:28 A.M. Central Standard Time, alecto_fury@... writes:
            It was pretty hysterical. I liked how they upped the absurdity of the
            Zuka-bu's rhetoric to match the utter idiocy of the Host Club's general
            nonsense.

            But I also noticed that they cut out the Host Club's concern that Haruhi
            might, perhaps, (gasp!) be a lesbian.

            Well, yes, but they let the Zuka gals accuse Ouran's Fearless Leader of being a 'half", several times. I'm not too good on Japanese, but I'm excellent on innuendo, and at the very least they were calling him a girly-man.

            Ellen Rose

            Anime manga

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
              Joy:

              > I wouldn't be surprised if [Haruhi] was [a lesbian].

              Given that Haruhi doesn't care what gender she is, I wouldn't be at
              all surprised if she turned out to be bisexual.

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
            • rosepress@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
                In a message dated 6/5/2006 2:35:43 P.M. Central Standard Time, futabachan@... writes:
                > I wouldn't be surprised if [Haruhi] was [a lesbian].

                Given that Haruhi doesn't care what gender she is, I wouldn't be at
                all surprised if she turned out to be bisexual.
                "Asexual" seems the best description so far, and rather assertive about it.

                Ellen Rose
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
                  >From: rosepress@...
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Ouran HS Host Club
                  >Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 14:56:15 EDT
                  >

                  >Well, yes, but they let the Zuka gals accuse Ouran's Fearless Leader of
                  >being a 'half", several times. I'm not too good on Japanese, but I'm
                  >excellent on
                  >innuendo, and at the very least they were calling him a girly-man.

                  Actually, they were calling him a "half-blood" by which they were referring
                  to his ethnicity. Which Honey confirms - he's half Japanese, half French.
                  Nothing to do with his sexuality at all.

                • rosepress@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
                    In a message dated 6/5/2006 2:49:02 P.M. Central Standard Time, alecto_fury@... writes:
                    Actually, they were calling him a "half-blood" by which they were referring
                    to his ethnicity. Which Honey confirms - he's half Japanese, half French.
                    Nothing to do with his sexuality at all.
                    Sonofagun - learn something new every day!

                    Ellen Rose
                  • kitten
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2006
                      i have eps 1-8 if u need them seeded, let me kno which/when.

                      Joy Bordador <haruka173@...> wrote:

                      I wouldn't be surprised if she was. I wonder why neither the creator or the animators played that up more. >_>0

                      Dang you stupid BitTorrent and LimeWire always in Pending/Need More Sources mode, I still haven't gotten past episode 2! >_<000 I wanna see episode 9 already dangit!

                      Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                      It was pretty hysterical. I liked how they upped the absurdity of the
                      Zuka-bu's rhetoric to match the utter idiocy of the Host Club's general
                      nonsense.

                      But I also noticed that they cut out the Host Club's concern that Haruhi
                      might, perhaps, (gasp!) be a lesbian.

                      <>< Proud ICTUSian <><
                      Green-Minded Crusader of Truth, Love and Justice
                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      kitten =^'^=
                      BIPOLARIS DELERIUM MENTIA

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • M. Coleridge
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 7, 2006
                        For that matter she could be intersexed and not bisexual at all. -Marina

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 7, 2006
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "M. Coleridge" <f4chaser@...> wrote:

                          > For that matter she could be intersexed and not bisexual at all. -
                          Marina

                          > Joy:
                          > >
                          > > I wouldn't be surprised if [Haruhi] was [a lesbian].
                          >
                          > Given that Haruhi doesn't care what gender she is, I wouldn't be at
                          > all surprised if she turned out to be bisexual.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

                          More likely she is merely boring.

                          Comedy needs a straight wo/man.

                        • Shane
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 7, 2006
                            So I was looking around for Megumi Ogata pictures for a friend of mine when I ran across an interview with her. I found one particular Question to be quite appropriate to pass onto this group so I thought I would.

                            Question:  A censored version of SailorMoon has been airing in the US. Haruka and Michiru were turned into cousins and much of their dialogue was changed. When the show first aired in Japan, was there any contention coming from parents or religious leaders?
                             MO: When I was cast to play Haruka, I asked director Kunihiko Ikuhara, "Are they gay?" He answered, "Act as if they are a married couple." And I asked him again, "Married couple? You mean, with two ladies?" He replied, "Yes." So they are husband and wife. Their appearance on TV was sensational, something unheard of in TV cartoons. And the show was aired every Saturday at 7 p.m. when every member of the family would be gathering around the TV. Even so, it seems that we were able to grab the viewer's heart. The program's rating continued to rise, and I received a lot more fan letters than before. Because many people watched the show with their family, not only the anime fans but also small children and their mothers became our fans as well. There was a time I was called "a madam killer" [a term used to describe a person so charming that they can get any woman, usually applied to men, however Ms. Ogata's seiyuu career stands as a testament to how appropriate the term is for her].

                            I'm sure that the anime also appealed to gay people, too. I heard that SailorMoon was the talk of the town in Shinjuku 2-chome, a famous gay street in Japan. Of course, it may have caused controversy in some strict, religious families, but the entertainment won a victory over the religious fanatics. Maybe it's because Japan is not as religious a country as the U.S. But the anime is not only about girls with mini skirts and gay couples. It also has a very interesting story. It focuses on very important aspects of human behavior, and it is very well written. The anime deserved popularity. Of course, the sexiness is also an important thing. Perhaps the most important. I am attracted to anime with a touch of sensuality - without being too indecent like X-rated movies - because sexy things are simply entertaining. [With the voice of Haruka Tenoh] "Don't you think so too, my cute little American kitties?"

                            I found her answer to be very interesting. What do you all think?

                            "I didn't do it! ... Unless it was a good thing, then maybe I did...!"
                            -Shane-

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Shawna Jacques
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 7, 2006
                              Gender might not be all that important to her.  It isn't to me.  I like people for who they are, not for what genitalia they do/don't have.

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/cGIolB/TM

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              --
                              --Shawna Jacques
                              "The journey is equal to the destination."

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 8, 2006
                                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

                                    > Eeverything in blue was from the article and in fact I think it was
                                    part of Megumi's response.

                                    > The article can be found here: http://www.kazeninaru.net/
                                    akaitenshi/interview02.html
                                    > sorry I forgot to include that the first time.

                                    The original interview was posted on Akadot.com. They did it in 2002
                                    or 2003, just about the time she came here to the US with her fan
                                    club. I have a friend who also did an interview with her right around
                                    that time, but the magazine she wrote it for never used it.

                                    I was there when MO told her fan club about the "cousins" thing in
                                    Sailor Moon. Everyone was shocked, except the table I sat at, because
                                    I'd already told them. lol

                                    "Ehhhhhh~!!"

                                    LOL

                                    Back on topic, Ikuhara Kunihiko, the director of the Sailor Moon S
                                    season has also said in an interview that he instructed the seiyuu for
                                    Haruka and Michiru to play them as a married couple.