Holy Diversity, Bat(wo)Man! Is it true?

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2006
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2006
        >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Holy Diversity, Bat(wo)Man! Is it true?
        >Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:09:42 -0400
        >
        >Yes, Robin, it looks like it is, in fact, true.
        >
        >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5030518.stm

        'Bought time, too. Although I still say she should still be Barbara Gordon,
        lipstick librarian supreme. :-)

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2006
          On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:24 -0400, Erica Friedman wrote:
          > >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
          > >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [Yuricon] Holy Diversity, Bat(wo)Man! Is it true?
          > >Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:09:42 -0400
          > >
          > >Yes, Robin, it looks like it is, in fact, true.
          > >
          > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5030518.stm
          >
          > 'Bought time, too. Although I still say she should still be Barbara Gordon,
          > lipstick librarian supreme. :-)

          With all the tech and magic in the DCU you really have to suspend your
          disbelief that Barbara can't be Batgirl in the comics again (especially
          since Bruce's back was broken, but now he's all bettter). Then again
          you could say that Orcale is a more interesting role than Batgirl.
        • Jeyl
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2006

            Yes, Robin, it looks like it is, in fact, true.

            And I thought that would never happen.
          • rosepress@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2006
              In a message dated 5/30/2006 11:27:42 P.M. Central Standard Time, johannchua@... writes:
              With all the tech and magic in the DCU you really have to suspend your
              disbelief that Barbara can't be Batgirl in the comics again (especially
              since Bruce's back was broken, but now he's all bettter).  Then again
              you could say that Orcale is a more interesting role than Batgirl.
              There have been quite a few Batgirl-analogues in comics, starting with Miss Fury on. (Have mercy, at least three of them have been named Batgirl - Betty Kane, Barbara Gordon, and now Cassandra.) There have been very few Oracle types, and even fewer wheelchair-bounds. (Professor X of the X-men and The Chief of the Doom Patrol are the only ones that come immediately to mind.)

              So a wheelchair-bound female mastermind has GOT to score significant political-correctness points for DC. Don't wanna throw that away.

              Ellen Rose
            • mantennashowers@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
                What strikes me about this whole Batwoman relaunch thing is how the original Batwoman (Kathy Kane) and Bat-
                Girl (Betty Kane) were probably introduced in response to charges made against Batman and Robin 's relationship in Frederick Wertham's book "Seduction of the Innocent". IIRC Batwoman and Bat-Girl were erased from DC continuity in "Crisis on Infinite Earths", Kathy (who had been killed off years earlier) was retconned into a mere Gotham socialite and Betty into a heroine named Flamebird. That left Barbara Gordon the first Batgirl in the timeline.
              • Kusuriya
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                  yep from what I have read and the sneak cells Batwomans SO is cute haha

                  On 6/3/06, mantennashowers@... <mantennashowers@...> wrote:
                  What strikes me about this whole Batwoman relaunch thing is how the original Batwoman (Kathy Kane) and Bat-
                  Girl (Betty Kane) were probably introduced in response to charges made against Batman and Robin 's relationship in Frederick Wertham's book "Seduction of the Innocent". IIRC Batwoman and Bat-Girl were erased from DC continuity in "Crisis on Infinite Earths", Kathy (who had been killed off years earlier) was retconned into a mere Gotham socialite and Betty into a heroine named Flamebird. That left Barbara Gordon the first Batgirl in the timeline.

                  Anime manga

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  Pharmacy
                  Aim: ThePharmacyRx, Yahoo: HiryuuDragon

                  vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh - Conquer what you desire.
                  "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
                     -Linus Torvalds
                        "If you can't make it good, at least make it look good."
                  - Bill Gates