Re: [Yuricon] Tips for running a panel was Re: Looking for yuri panels at cons

    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2006
      >From: Jasmine Pues <jasminepues@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Tips for running a panel was Re: Looking for yuri
      >panels at cons
      >Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >Generally those tips go for all panels - I don't run a yuri panel, but
      >I've been a panelist at Otakon (I do a short intro-to-philosophy type
      >panel, so the setup is a bit different).

      Quite right. :-)

      When I was the fan panels coordinator for Anime MNext, I used to send
      something very similar to all the moderators, with a caution about managing
      time and not going over.

      > ...then again, there's particulars in how you might want to run a
      >panel. For example, I use Powerpoint presentations and do a run-through
      >first; and then I take questions and answers.

      I tend to not do Powerpoint, but I do bring my laptop with its might
      screensaver o'yuri, which has been a big hit internationally. :-)

      >If we get sidetracked - either the person asking the question or me in my
      >answering - I apologize and generally move on to the next question rather
      >quickly. If it degenerates into questions about politics or culture or
      >(heaven forbid) Evangelion, I simply say that's too broad or too off-topic
      >and that I can't answer it at the moment.

      LMAO.

      > For a yuri panel, you could just do the panel on your own as a sole
      >panelist, or get a couple others to help you. This depends on the size of
      >the con, usually, and what you feel comfortable with. ^^;

      Absolutely. It's also easier these days, since we've pretty much made yuri
      into a known genre. When I started doing yuri panels in 2001, it was darn
      hard to find other people to be on the panel with me. :-) What a difference
      5 years make!

    • raynadarkstorm@aim.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2006
        In Virginia Beach, Virginia, there's nekocon (not sure of dates). I'm
        unable to attend, but if someone were to do a yuri panel there, it'd be
        wildly successful...

        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2006
          > > For a yuri panel, you could just do the panel on your own as a sole
          > >panelist, or get a couple others to help you. This depends on the size of
          > >the con, usually, and what you feel comfortable with. ^^;
          >
          > Absolutely. It's also easier these days, since we've pretty much made yuri
          > into a known genre. When I started doing yuri panels in 2001, it was darn
          > hard to find other people to be on the panel with me. :-) What a difference
          > 5 years make!

          Five years ago was when I met you, Sean, Alan Harnum, Kat Williams and
          I think Chris Davies (I'm not absolutely sure about Chris) at Anime
          North. I'd heard of yuri and shoujo-ai at that point, and you all did
          about three panels total on yuri, shoujoai and "what is a lemon?" And
          I attended them all. I was commenting to to someone this weekend that
          it was 5 years ago, and couldn't believe it's been that long. And
          I've been around this list ever since. I'm not sure if I was among
          the first 100 members, but if I wasn't, I joined shortly after 100 was
          hit. It's been a wild ride.

          kat_chan