Re: Round Two: Simoun vs Simoun (spoilers, yes, and many)

    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2006
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "fignae" <fignae@...> wrote:

      > Delurking for Simoun *g*
      >
      > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:57:23 -0000, atheniag wrote:
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      >
      > [Snip, patched with spoiler space]
      >
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > -
      >
      > > And I really, really like the mechanic from the anime - haven't
      > > gotten her name into my head yet. :-)
      >
      > Shouldn't that be... "his"?

      I notice that the synopses call the mechanic a "he." I'm sure there's
      a reason (I have not read them all, only part of 3) but for a person
      who visited the spring two years ago "he" has a hell of female body.
      Eri said that her breasts would shrink and her body would begin to
      change soon. Two years later and "he" looks awfully female.

      So, regardless of synopses, I'm calling Wahporifu a girl.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2006

        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "fignae" <fignae@> wrote:

        > > > And I really, really like the mechanic from the anime - haven't
        > > > gotten her name into my head yet. :-)
        > >
        > > Shouldn't that be... "his"?

        > So, regardless of synopses, I'm calling Wahporifu a girl.

        I retract this. I just clued into the linguistic thing with the names.
        Wahporifu is a guy...

      • Susan Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2006

          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > >
          > > [Snip, patched with spoiler space]
          > >
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > > -
          > >
          > I notice that the synopses call the mechanic a "he." I'm sure
          > there's a reason (I have not read them all, only part of 3) but for
          > a person who visited the spring two years ago "he" has a hell of
          > female body. Eri said that her breasts would shrink and her body
          > would begin to change soon. Two years later and "he" looks awfully
          > female.

          Wapourif talks about having gone to the Spring in episode 3.
          Presumably, it takes a while for breasts to be reabsorbed (remember,
          there's no top surgery in Simulacrum; only Argentum does that), but
          "-f" at the end of a name is a definite signifier of masculinity.

          --
          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>