Re: [Yuricon] Re: youtube yuri video set to song "collide"

  • Resop
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2006
      Using the same argument, one could say that the original makers of
      the footage that bakablonde used should be upset with her ...

      Would it have made things better if the "colide" maker had
      ripped the exact same footage from the original sources?

      Craig

      --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:

      > Resop wrote:
      >
      > > I hope I am not opening a can of worms here, but, unless the
      > > AMV author stole bakablonde's specfic editing sequences, I'm
      > > not sure what the beef is.
      > >
      > > Does Bakablonde own the characters?
      > >
      > > Did Bakablonde draw the animation?
      > >
      > > Now, if Bakablonde had drawn the fan art at the end, then she
      > > could be mad at that, but even fan art cannot be copywritten
      > > because the fan artist doesn't own the character.
      > >
      > > I think bakablonde should be flattered, at let it go at that.
      > >
      > > Craig
      > >
      > Well think of it this way, she DID make the amvs she put time and energy
      > into making them. I dont think shes made because of the person
      > infringing on copyrights, but that the person plagerised her. This
      > person came and took Baka's amvs cut them up and then called them
      > theirs. Its not any different than if the person had taken several pages
      > from a book written by Baka, then changed a few things and said she did
      > them.
      >
      > Even if you dont own the copyright for the things its not any less stealing.
      >
      > Ashley

    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2006
        Resop wrote:

        > Using the same argument, one could say that the original makers of
        > the footage that bakablonde used should be upset with her ...
        >
        > Would it have made things better if the "colide" maker had
        > ripped the exact same footage from the original sources?
        >
        > Craig

        How many actual owners have you read about being upset over fanart and
        amv's? And yes, it would have been better because then it would have
        been her own work, and not Baka's. Youve probly never had this happen to
        you though right?

        Anyway, the fact remains that the person should have used her own
        sources to make an amv instead of ripping off someone elses efforts.

        Ashley
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2006
          All right, this is off topic. If you want to debate copyright, AMVs and the associated grey areas therein, please do so off list.
        • M. Coleridge
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2006
            Thanks bakablonde for the link to your site. I am interested in your
            original work. Didn't know there was this ongoing question regarding
            plagiarism.... -M

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2006
              Sorry Serge, I didn't intend to start a debate. My apologies for
              disturbing the yuri peace. :)
              I will answer one of Craig's questions in that if he considers loading
              a clip into Premiere, reversing it, slowing it down and exporting such
              clips back into am AMV as a specialized sequence, then she used every
              one of them. The original DVD footage was never like that.
              And now I'm done. Resume your regularly scheduled yuri programming....