Re: [Yuricon] Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl End - what do we think?

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
      On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:50:02 -0000, "atheniag"
      <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      > I notice that no one has commented on the end of Kashimashi Girl
      > Meets Girl.

      I suspect that most of us are waiting on the fansubs (which have just
      hit #11).

      > Spoiler
      >

      > Space
      >

      > As
      >

      > Per
      >

      > Usual
      >

      > The part with Yasuna going more progressively blind to people as her
      > little heart shatters was annoying.

      In terms of plot-anvils I'd argue it's mildly *less* clunky than the
      manga's "Hazumu has 30 days to live" clunker. Talk about subtle...

      > It's kind of a silly plot complication in the first place that she
      > can't see guys - and I'd scoff loudly if only I personally didn't
      > have a much similar problem with all people's face myself.

      Join the club... I'm utterly hopeless with faces and names.

      > That having been whined, I liked the ending - it was something so
      > normal, that it almost seemed anticlimactic.

      A pity - I was still rooting for Tomari and Yasuna to realise Hazumu's
      a putz and run off together to form a babydyke collective. ;)

      And did anything ever happen with Ayuki? Besides getting the "She is
      like a butterfly! See? Can you see what we did?" part and hints that
      she had a thing for someone in the main triangle, she seemed to pretty
      much disappear by #10.
      .oO("You had to go and be all summerizing-chan, didn't you!" )
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
        Finally got a chance to watch the raw.

        On Apr 4, 2006, at 8:50 PM, atheniag wrote:

        I've been a bit busy these days, so haven't had time to post (mostly
        watching and rewatching a dinosaur video with Rica Takashima's
        daughter - I bet you didn't know that stegasauruses could shoot spines
        and kill other fightin' dinosaurs, did you? And you ought to SEE the
        wrestling moves Triceratops has...!),

        No, I didn't, and I'm sure my life is poorer for it. ;)

        but I notice that no one has
        commented on the end of Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl.

        So, here I go - comments on the end of Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl

        Spoiler

        Space

        As

        Per

        Usual

        Well - it was really *normal* wasn't it? Like, Hazumu actually made a
        decision, and it made sense. Which was kinda freaky in its own right.

        For someone who made a decision, Hazumu spent quite a bit of time with the one not chosen. Last hurrah, but we'll always be friends kinda thing or just pure sadism and cruelty on Hazumu's part (I'm not choosing you, but let's spend the day together anyway). You decide. ;)

        The part with Yasuna going more progressively blind to people as her
        little heart shatters was annoying.  It's kind of a silly plot
        complication in the first place that she can't see guys

        Wait, are you saying that they invent medical conditions for dramatic effect? The fiends!

        - and I'd
        scoff loudly if only I personally didn't have a much similar problem
        with all people's face myself. It takes ALOT for me to remember a face
        and a name. (So if I ever call you by your name, be *really* pleased.
        lol)

        Being pretty good with names and faces, allow me to scoff loudly for you: SCOFF! SCOFF!!

        That having been whined, I liked the ending - it was something so
        normal, that it almost seemed anticlimactic.

        Yes, because aliens broadcasting across the city from their spaceship happens with alarming regularity. ;)

        Because of the tedious plot complication there was a bit of the "right
        decision for the wrong reason" about it, but really, it was pretty
        much the decision I think anyone might make.

        I would have made the same decision 9 episodes ago. (I figure I'd need at least an episode or two to angst about my missing junk and extract my bloody retribution.)

        Wow - an anime that resolves, and resolves normally and happily and
        no one even notices. Go figure. LOL

        The lack of reaction may also have to do with the announcement that the final DVD will contain Episode 13, which could completely undo our neat little ending here. But, we'll burn that bridge after we cross it. Also, Tomari was way more popular in the anime blogosphere and in the forums, so there may be some  disappointment mixed in with the uncertainty of what will be in the DVD only 13.

        Overall, I enjoyed the series immensely, probably because I came into it with low expectations and the same fear you had about it ending with boy Hazumu. Though that fear all but disappeared after hearing Kana Ueda's boy voice. If Hazumu was going to turn back into a guy, I would think they would have picked a VA with a more believable boy voice. Someone like MO.

        Anyway, more thoughts whenever the subs get released.

      • reesedorrycott
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2006

          > > I notice that no one has commented on the end of Kashimashi Girl
          > > Meets Girl.

          I just finished viewing it last week. It is a very long download on my
          system.

          > I suspect that most of us are waiting on the fansubs (which have just
          > hit #11).

          Twelve is out. Though the last few are in MKV format.

          > > Spoiler
          > >

          > > Space
          > >

          > > As
          > >

          > > Per
          > >

          > > Usual
          > >

          > > The part with Yasuna going more progressively blind to people as her
          > > little heart shatters was annoying.

          Perhaps to you. I found it a better plot device than most I have
          found over the years, including many of my own.

          > > It's kind of a silly plot complication in the first place that she
          > > can't see guys - and I'd scoff loudly if only I personally didn't
          > > have a much similar problem with all people's face myself.

          Faces have names? To be bluntly honest, as a Dyslexic it is extremely
          diffacult for me to remember names. In truth when I view a crowd I
          see no faces, only bodies. I have been known to walk right past my
          wife while searching for her. To my most sincere embarresment.

          > And did anything ever happen with Ayuki? Besides getting the "She
          is like a butterfly! See? Can you see what we did?" part and hints
          that she had a thing for someone in the main triangle, she seemed to
          pretty much disappear by #10.

          She would not step onto the stage. Dissapointing, for she deserved
          too. I think that they were going with a Spock/Jerk (err Kirk) pairing
          three. Fools that they are. In the last episode she is still with
          her love, still there, still careing. It is possible that she will
          gain her desires, though I do not know this.

          .
          .
          .
          .
          .

          Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is this;

          Basically I will say this. Setting aside the standard plot devices,
          random foolishness and very blatent dead ends I very much enjoyed
          this. I have not had my heart torn so much since my first viewing of
          The Ghost and Mrs Muir back in the 1950's. Overall, for me this is a
          wonderful love story. True, I would not have written it as it was
          written, but that is why the Gods granted more than one viewpoint in
          this world.

          Reading that magna plot of thirty days was simply sickening. Please.
          You do not rebirth a creature only to limit its life to a single
          moon. Whomever chose that plot deserves a harsh papercut. Or two.

          As I very much like how this series ended I will most likely avoid
          episiode 13, though when the DVD becomes avaliable in San Antonio I
          will most certainly purchase a copy. Stories like this are rare, none
          are perfect. In the least there was love, not lust as the driving force.

          On a scale of zero to one hundred with zero being Plan Nine from Outer
          Space, I will rate this as an eighty-six.

          There are no one hundreds.

          My two cheap dinar.
        • rosepress@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2006
            In a message dated 6/23/2006 12:48:52 A.M. Central Standard Time, rhys@... writes:
            Basically I will say this. Setting aside the standard plot devices,
            random foolishness and very blatent dead ends I very much enjoyed
            this. I have not had my heart torn so much since my first viewing of
            The Ghost and Mrs Muir back in the 1950's. Overall, for me this is a
            wonderful love story. True, I would not have written it as it was
            written, but that is why the Gods granted more than one viewpoint in
            this world.
            The single thing I liked about this show was that each and every one of them was trying their best to be kind to each other. (Teachers, reporters, and parents excepted as being comic devices only, and aliens excepted as plot device more than personalities.) While the show demonstrated that occasionally focused kindness is needed more than universal kindness, the dramatic tension came from the conflict between kindness and reality.

            I'm not sure what I should do when the thirteenth episode comes out. But intentions aside, the reality is, I'll acquire it and watch it. And hope that it fits well. Sometimes (like Onegai Teacher) you really need that thirteenth, un-broadcast episode to end the series properly.

            Meanwhile, I'm waiting also to see what Princess Princess does about Megumi's secret. And, maybe, to find out why Akira isn't a princess too.

            Ellen Rose